Coconut water, where have you been all my life?!?!?!

Shelli

First, I am not a fan of coconut in general, never have liked the texture or flavor. When I first began to research W30 I kept running across coconut here, coconut there, coconut everywhere. Coconut milk, coconut water, coconut oil, coconut, coconut, coconut.

I just told my self to keep an open mind. I bought coconut oil and even coconut cooking spray. I was so pleasantly surprised. Zero coconut taste in anything I have put it in. I love cooking with it! And I like the nutty smell of it when it heats up.

I tried coconut milk in my coffee on day 1 and well I think that I just didn't like the coffee black in general NOW I will try it again, soon. Even though I have learned to like coffee black. Keep an open mind.

When I was at Sprouts a week or so ago I saw a big display of 100% coconut water, I bought 2 cans. Keep an open mind. Then I put it in the fridge and forgot all about it. Tonight I remembered it. I was actually nervous to try it. I really, really wanted it to be good. I have been looking for more caffeine free drink options lately.

Low and behold. IT IS DELISH!!! :wub:

I have never tasted anything like it, I cannot even put a finger on the taste at all, except it is awesome.

Thank you open mind, thank you!!!

Is it just me? Isn't it great?

Also- if anyone has any caffeine free drink options, I am looking for suggestions.

Huh - I never heard of canned coconut water. But I live in the tropics so here people just drink it out of the coconut. There's a guy at the farmers' market who stands around with a machete (!!!!!) whacking the tops off of coconuts in a most impressive manner, and selling them to the tourists (and local people sometimes) to drink. Less impressively, my friend uses a corkscrew thingy to make a hole in the top of the coconut and then you just drink the water.

I do have fantasies about moving north. I presume at some point I might drink canned coconut water while looking out my window and contemplating snow! Love it.

I have to admit I'm with you on absolutely loving the taste of coconut water :ph34r:. Unfortunately on a W30 it isn't advised as a regular beverage :( as it's very similar to drinking fruit juice Some athletes use it on long bike rides etc and when I was really sick (halfway through my first W30) I found it was all I could keep down. I'm also gutted to find my favourite brand described as 'natural coconut water' contains added fruit sugar :angry:.

Huh - I never heard of canned coconut water. ... I presume at some point I might drink canned coconut water while looking out my window and contemplating snow! Love it.

here is a pic of a "boxed" version... different brand than what I bought at sprouts, but still 100% coconut with nothing added. Woot!

post-13474-0-69684600-1360255679_thumb.j

Unfortunately on a W30 it isn't advised as a regular beverage :( as it's very similar to drinking fruit juice.

Kirsteen I am so glad you mentioned that! I was going to ask. I was already planning on limiting my intake to 1X a day at the most. :D

I really, really hate to say this but that is the one that now contains fruit sugar. The plain one now just says 'Natural Coconut Water'. this is what I found on their website.

Why does Vita Coco add natural fruit sugar?

Vita Coco's non-flavored coconut water beverage now includes “less than 1% natural fruit sugar†on its ingredient list. (Note that this does not apply to Vita Coco's flavored beverages.) This addition enables Vita Coco to standardize the sweetness level of its beverages regardless of harvest, time of year, or country of origin. Depending on the sweetness of a harvest, Vita Coco adjusts the sugar level in the packaged beverage to ensure consistency of sweetness. Taste may continue to vary slightly as Vita Coco is a natural beverage made from coconuts sourced from around the world. The fruit sugar added to Vita Coco's non-flavored coconut water is natural and derived from fruit such as pears and apples. Vita Coco does not use corn-derived sugars.

Sad isn't it :(

There is a great brand that they are selling at Costco called Zico which is pure coconut water - nothing added! Another brand you can try that I have seen more widely available is called O.N.E. No added sugars, and an excellent taste. I am doing my first Whole 30 now (day 9!) and only drink this if I am having a hard time keeping my blood sugar up (I am a type 1 diabetic). If you have a strong sugar dragon, it might not be advisable to indulge too much! :angry: Happy sipping!

I checked to see if I could get Zico on amazon but here's what it said

Ingrediants Natural Coconut Water from Concentrate, Natural Flavourings Allergy Information: Contains Milk, Contains Soya\Soybeans Contains traces of milk and soya

No sugar but made from concentrate containing mik and soy ----- Aaaaarrrrggghhhh :angry:

I checked to see if I could get Zico on amazon but here's what it said

Ingrediants Natural Coconut Water from Concentrate, Natural Flavourings Allergy Information: Contains Milk, Contains Soya\Soybeans Contains traces of milk and soya

No sugar but made from concentrate containing mik and soy ----- Aaaaarrrrggghhhh :angry:

argh. frustrating. so...not safe during a Whole30, but I still enjoy it after long runs!

This all makes me want to learn to climb that coconut tree in my yard (instead of hiring the guy who comes to do it every six months) and whack the tops off some coconuts and send y'all some of the coconut water. The stuff that's fresh from the coconut just off the tree isn't really that sweet, and it's very refreshing. I'm beginning to suspect that the comparison of coconut water to juice on a Whole30 eating plan is because of all of these added ingredients in the packaged stuff.

Off to hug my coconut tree...

I'm a woman on a mission. I've discovered the website Planet Organic is selling Vita Coco 100% natural no added sugar so tomorrow I'm going to phone them to double check. :)

I read the package that i bought and it said 100% coconut water and vitamin C. Hmmm

I have also had the Sprouts brand and the ingredients of it say 100% coconut water.

I dont put anything into my body without reading all of the ingredients.... to many surprises in there if you don't!

Ok, ok! I am officially limiting my coconut water intake to 1 can per week.

I had some yesterday for lunch and I was sleepyish during the afternoon. I didn't have it today and I was not sleepyish at all. My protein, veggie and fat intake was prety much the same at lunch both days so the Coconut Water is the culprit I am sure of it! Dang it! Oh well.. I will give some iced herbal tea a shot if I want something other than water during the day. ;)

Ok as regards Vitacoco now adding sugar to their plain variety. I emailed them about it and this is the reply I got

"Thanks for your email to us here at Vita Coco.

So firstly with regards to the product packaging, you are correct in terms of the fact that the packaging now reads natural coconut water instead of the historical 100% pure coconut water. This is a result of a recent global review of our packaging where Vita Coco has taken the lead in the category to bring all packaging 100% in line with Food Standards Authority legislation and I am sure like us, you will see many other brands changing their packaging.

In terms of the product's ingredients, one of the challenges we have with natural coconut water is that the taste does vary between different batches of coconuts. No different to when for example you eat two different pieces of fruit eg oranges where the taste can differ. So on the Vita Coco Natural Coconut Water product only, we have included the wording – less than 1% natural fruit sugar on the ingredients list- consumers have been asking us for consistently great tasting natural coconut water and in some circumstances we are adding a small amount (less than 1%) of natural fruit sugar to ensure we deliver a consistently great taste no matter what batch or what country the natural coconut water originates from. This is only on the natural coconut water and does not appear on any of the product lines where we blended fruit with the natural coconut water.

I hope this explains everything if there is anything else you would like to discuss please let me know."

Rats :(

• 3 weeks later...

I found some Taste Nirvana brand cocunut water that's ONLY coconut water. It has 12 grams sugar per 9-ounce bottle. I used 3 ounces of it with about 6 ounces San Pellegrino sparkling mineral water. I'm post W30 and don't know if this cocktail would be acceptable DURING a W30 (moderator comment welcome), but it didn't trigger cravings for me and was really delicious.

<ol>

<li>I've been trying to find anything bad on Conchita brand Unsweetened coconut water. The ingredients are: Young coconut juice, young coconut pulp, ascorbic acid and sodium metabisulphite. I guess you could consider the last ingredient, a preservative to be bad but there are some things in life (like an adundance of naturally occuring coconuts) that need to be preserved. Anyone else have any info on this brand?</li>

</ol>

<ol>

<li>I've been trying to find anything bad on Conchita brand Unsweetened coconut water. The ingredients are: Young coconut juice, young coconut pulp, ascorbic acid and sodium metabisulphite. I guess you could consider the last ingredient, a preservative to be bad but there are some things in life (like an adundance of naturally occuring coconuts) that need to be preserved. Anyone else have any info on this brand?</li>

</ol>

Sodium metabisulphite is a sulphite which is not allowed on the Whole30.

Archived