Coconut water, where have you been all my life?!?!?!

Shelli

Hi Carlah, ah the advantages of living in London ;) Our waitrose doesn't stock it, it only stocks Vita-Coco and we don't have a Planet Organic :( However we do now have a Whole Foods :) I don't often drink coconut water, it is a bit like juice but I like to keep some on hand for upset tummies in the family so I managed to get Chi 100% natural coconut water from Amazon.

• 5 months later...

I love the taste of coconut water, and what surprises me is that it doesn't taste like coconuts or coconut milk, so even people who are not fans of coconuts find it quite tasty. I've seen this video testimonial here about organic coconut water and I'm definitely gonna try it. I know its not advised as a regular beverage but I drink it from time to time)

I love the taste of coconut water, and what surprises me is that it doesn't taste like coconuts or coconut milk, so even people who are not fans of coconuts find it quite tasty. I've seen this video testimonial here about organic coconut water and I'm definitely gonna try it. I know its not advised as a regular beverage but I drink it from time to time)

Haha....I love coconut...but think coconut water tastes like armpit :P I usually use it in cooking or when I had smoothies/protein shakes!

One thing that I have been doing when I get bored of the water is throw in some fruit/fresh herbs (mint especially). Or I throw in cucumber, lemon, lime, etc. It just adds to the drinking water experience and makes me want to drink it, because some days I do have trouble drinking the reccommended amount of water (half your body weight in oz).

I just discovered a brand called cocofina http://www.cocofina.com/ that seems to just contain coconut water, I found it in Holland and Barrett but their site seems to suggest you can order directly from them (they seem to be a UK based company). On the side of the carton it says "Cocofina coconut water may vary in taste, colour and sweetness depending on the season" So I guess this is the same issue Vita Coco had but they've just put a disclaimer on the packet rather than adding sugar.

Ok, ok! I am officially limiting my coconut water intake to 1 can per week.

I had some yesterday for lunch and I was sleepyish during the afternoon. I didn't have it today and I was not sleepyish at all. My protein, veggie and fat intake was prety much the same at lunch both days so the Coconut Water is the culprit I am sure of it! Dang it! Oh well.. I will give some iced herbal tea a shot if I want something other than water during the day. ;)

Try Rooibos Chai from Numi or Allegro in your grocery store or Tazo Passion Tea (great iced and you can get it at Starbucks)

• 1 year later...

Pure coconut water is likely better for you than kombucha, which is made from tea, sugar and fruit juice!!  Which Whole 30 devotees suck down at every meal. Including ones that have added fruit juice. If kombucha is ok, then pure raw coconut water should be ok too.

Hey Deb, I've always wondered about this, I think maybe kombucha is revered because it is a probiotic drink made with tea, sugar and juice to grow the bacteria . I assume that the bacteria consumes all or nearly all the sugar including whats in the juice and the tea is for flavour. But the benefit is the bacteria which helps digest your food. The benefit of coconut water is the vitamins and minerals making it a good hydrator like a sports drink but it doesn't really provide health benefits over food and it is high in sugar like fruit juice which while not excluded, isn't recommended on a whole30.

Archived