IBS

Holly

Ok, I have seen poop topics but can't seem to find them now. Even though I know time frames for healing is a personal process, I'm curious what other people have experienced with their IBS on a W30.

I have had digestive issues for the past 20 years. It was only this past summer that I went gluten free and started having solid BMs all the time. Solid BMs! I was in poo poo heaven. Slowly, I started to eat dairy and wheat again and had some problems return. Not as badly though.

So I went into this thinking I would get those magical BMs again, but I have been scoring 5-7 on the famous poop scale all along (25 days). I'm wondering if the fat contributes to this, and if so, is the fat I cook with enough fat overall?

Has anyone had any experience with using the autoimmune protocol helping with loose bowel issues? I changed my focus from a W30 to a W100 for healing, but want to do it right. I suppose I could start the autoimmune protocol and give it a 30 day trial. Even though I would miss my eggs.

The other thing is that I know bone broth is supposed to be healing for your gut, but I can't find any pastured bones at the store.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also have IBS/digestive issues and I decided to do a blend of the AI and IBS protocol. The first couple of weeks it was hit and miss, but I feel like my symptoms have gotten better now, I'm on day 27. It still is not perfect, but the thing I like about this protocol is that I've been able to really identify what causes my gut issues the most. I miss eggs too, and nuts, and nightshades :) but for me, it has been worth it. I will be testing these things one at a time next week and see if they are irritants once and for all! Something that has helped my tummy is making sure I eat some starch vegetables every day. Not sure if that would help you or not.

Also, I did not do this yet, but I'm thinking I will. It's a recipe to make your own bone broth:

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3615609338/slow-cooker-beef-bone-broth

Oh, I don't know if this is an issue for you either, but I steam all my veggies (unless they were "cooked" in juices, like ceviche, and then veggies were chopped in small pieces) after the first week and half and that really helped to settle my issues.

Hmm, I didn't even know there was an IBS protocol. Where have I been? I will have to google that.

Last week I said I was going to cut out coconut and see if that helps, but I haven't made the final push to do that yet. Guess I have to. For the most part, I cook my vegetables, but I do like some raw veggies.

Ok, I read it and it was helpful. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. The part that mentioned 60-90 days for healing, or even 6 months of healing, made me re-frame my perspective about this whole venture. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

I have long standing IBS and decided to go with the regular whole30. For the most part, my IBS problems cleared up immediately and have stayed that way unless I eat too much fat. Even with reintroduction, I have not had a return to my IBS. Hang in there!

I did start it, and do feel better. Things seemed to change around when I started to post in this thread.

I'm not sure what will happen today since I forgot my lunch and dinner when i came to work. There is almost nothing I can eat in the hospital cafe. I know there is soybean oil in all the protein sources and I had to get a salad for veggies. It's totally about getting through today.

I agree, it seems like the more I cut out he better I feel. I do hope there is a time when I can tolerate some raw vweggies.

Oh no! I hate that situation. Hopefully it worked out....

Glad you are feeling better overall. I miss big salads! I did find that if I chop stuff up small and soak it in ACV and lemon for a day, it does okay on my tummy. At least certain veggies do: cucumber, kale, jicima, etc. But nothing like broccoli or cauliflower. I may have already told you that, but maybe it's worth a try if you really miss the crunch of a salad?

So you kind of pickle the veggies? That is really interesting, I will try that. Wouldn't cauliflower work as a pickled veg?

My tummy was rumbling early this morning. Yesterday's food options weren't great for me, and I am feeling it today.

You know, cauliflower and broccoli are really hard on my tummy raw, so I haven't tried them in the vinegar. But you never know, everyone is different. So far I have put kale, jicima, onions, carrots, cucumber and cabbage all in the vinegar mix and have done well with those.

I was just coming on here to ask how you do/did with cabbage. I love stir fried cabbage and carrots, even made some tonight. However, I definitely have been avoiding cabbage recently, so this will be an experiment.

So do you use straight vinegar or a vinegar/water mix?

I have been doing apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and lemon. It is delicious! I am also able to eat raw sauerkraut, which is supposedly very good for the tummy.

We are trying a sauteed cabbage, beet, carrot mix this week. I'm hoping that will be okay too! I do love cabbage.

I need to expand into some fermented foods. The problem is that sauerkraut gives me asthma for some reason and kimchee makes me want to throw up! :blink:

Today was a very "normal" day. It was great actually. I don't want to get my hopes up after one really good day, though, but damn....I felt normal.

Oh that is too bad you can't do the sauerkraut! I wonder if you could do other fermented veggies that wouldn't do what the sauerkraut does to you.

Congrats on the normal day :) One great day counts for a lot! I am on day 40 and finally have felt a few of those too. It does feel good.

• 3 weeks later...

I am taking back what I said about sauerkraut. I thought all sauerkraut was like the kind that you put on a hot dog that has a lot of nitrates. Duh. Recently I bought some raw, red cabbage sauerkraut that is amazing. I'm going to start making it. Where have I been all this time?

I'm also happy to report that my digestion is fairly normal. For anyone else who feels frustrated at lingering IBS symptoms, don't give up hope! It really took until nearly the end of my W30 to start feeling good, and some continuation into a W-whatever. I'm approaching 45ish days now.

This is great, Holly. Glad that your dg is working properly.

My doctor stubbornly tries to diagnose IBS and makes me take pills for lowering acid. I refuse. I am month+ after but still hope to fix it with food. Any advice on your side? What to avoid/implement?

Btw you can ferment pretty much everything - carrots, beets and even fruits.

Holly I can't link to it on my phone, but at www.chriskresser.com there is a great post about IBS and insoluble fiber veggies- and the comments are helpful too. I missed the ibs protocol the first time I read iswf and returned it to the library- I bought the book today though and may be tagging along.

Thanks Moluv! I've read it all by Kresser, going to read the IBS part of the book again. It's very overwhelming as apparently I can stomach only broth and cucumbers without any issues :D So it will feel exactly like the point I started at. I am exegarrating of course. I am positive that solution is possible. I wish my doctor stopped trying to stuff me with meds she'll get comission on and helped me to find out the source of the problem.

Archived