IBS

Holly

What an informative thread for people with IBS :)  

Holly, if you don't like/can't eat sauerkraut or kimchee, you should try Kombucha - a cultured tea beverage.  I find it really helps my tummy, not only because of all the active enzymes and probiotics, but also many flavours have ginger added to them.  My favorite brand is GT's, as all the flavours (that I've tried) are delicious, organic and GMO-free.  My favourite is the original "Gingerade".

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I am gluten intolerant, I've been GF about 1 year now but I still had colon issues, a lot of pain sometimes. I started W30 at the sametime that I started to read the book (I just trust, I didn't need more conviction :) ), l am today at 30 day but last week I reached the part of the book where tells about the IBS protocol...inclusive in day 21 I still have eventually colon inflammations, not real bad actually but I thought it was still part of body reaction, and when I reached the part of IBS protocol I understood I was not doing it right for me, so I started to remove the additional food, like eggs, etc. but on friday (day 26) I had big pain colon inflammation, and it looks like it was caused by a banana I ate as part of my breakfast, and I didn't know I was banana intolerant. So it was maybe the bananas I was eating regularly that caused those little inflammations.......I have this question, is it better to extend my W30 to W60? Or W90? Or just extend it 15 days more and see how is it going? So it would be like W45.

Just to clarify, I'm not being diagnosted celiac neither IBS, I just felt that when I removed gluten from my diet, most of colon inflammations and rhinitis decreased. And I don't intend to do the test knowing that hurts me a lot :). I appreciate your help.

Hi,

I am gluten intolerant, I've been GF about 1 year now but I still had colon issues, a lot of pain sometimes. I started W30 at the sametime that I started to read the book (I just trust, I didn't need more conviction :) ), l am today at 30 day but last week I reached the part of the book where tells about the IBS protocol...inclusive in day 21 I still have eventually colon inflammations, not real bad actually but I thought it was still part of body reaction, and when I reached the part of IBS protocol I understood I was not doing it right for me, so I started to remove the additional food, like eggs, etc. but on friday (day 26) I had big pain colon inflammation, and it looks like it was caused by a banana I ate as part of my breakfast, and I didn't know I was banana intolerant. So it was maybe the bananas I was eating regularly that caused those little inflammations.......I have this question, is it better to extend my W30 to W60? Or W90? Or just extend it 15 days more and see how is it going? So it would be like W45.

Hi Cordonez,

I am gluten intolerant as well, but also had/have multiple other gut issues. This is just from my own experience with the IBS protocol, but I found it valuable to go at least 60 days. I went for longer than that on the IBS protocol and found that I was really able to pinpoint problematic foods easier during reintroduction (I didn't do the normal protocol and I'm assuming this will be the case with you as well). The IBS protocol worked wonders on my gut and I still go back to it if I have a flare up or a cross contamination issue. 

Hi,

Hi Cordonez,

I have a bad case of IBS and when I first started my whole30 I failed to follow the specific IBS protocol for the first two weeks. After I figured out there were certain "healthy foods" I couldn't eat on the IBS protocol I cut those foods out and my symptoms decreased. The main thing I followed and researched was the low FODMAP diet. It's essentially taking out certain foods from your diet that are irritating to your stomach. I am on day 29 of my whole30 and I plan on starting the FODMAP elimination diet as soon as I'm done. I would recommend doing some research on it!

For IBS, also look into excluding FODMAPS. I've done that and realized they cause most of my IBS symptoms (the sugar in wheat is a FODMAP, so along with gluten, wheat should never be consumed). I also avoid nightshades as I have a long time nightshade sensitivity.

• 3 weeks later...

The book explains the IBS protocol in more detail but basically make sure your veg is well cooked, preferably chopped small first, this makes the fibre easier to digest.

Be careful with fruit, only eat what you can peel, avoid fruit you can't.. Make sure fruit is ripe. Avoid citrus fruit, dried fruit and fruit juices.

Avoid all nuts and seeds and coffee.

Drink plenty of water between meals but not with meals.

Consider taking a high quality fish oil.

Be patient as your digestion may get worse before it gets better - it can take 3 to 6 months to heal.

That's a very quick summary but hopefully it will help until you get your book back. good luck with it.

The page you want is 238 in my book copyright 2012.

I thought for years that I had IBS because I suffered urgent bouts of diarrhea after a life of being constipated. My doctor, an integrative physician, had tried every test and supplement there was. After a particularly embarrassing occurrence she told me to read It Starts With Food. While I improved somewhat, and I did the diet for 60 days, it was when I reintroduced formerly favorite foods like yogurt that I hit trouble. To complicate matters I'd lost so much weight on the diet that I was dangerously thin (5'8" 109 lbs) and I HAD to gain pounds back. A miracle, or it seems to me, was when an acquaintance told me to get Whole Foods digestive enzymes (Wholezyme Ultra) and take two before each meal. She said she was "cured" in 24 hours. I was too! The strange thing is I had tried other brands of digestive enzymes so apparently digestive enzymes cover a broad range. I checked five different bottles and all had similarities but something was different about each one.

All the whole and healthy foods you eat don't do you any good if you aren't digesting them. I hope this helps you!

I've never had a problem with green tea, I don't really like it, but it never caused any IBS symptoms. I had to avoid any mint teas, they could make my intestines start to spasm.

Any caffeine can cause some people with IBS to have a flare. Especially if they have IBS-D. But everyone is different, so a test is not a bad thing. I would think that you would need to be off all caffeine for a few days before testing it to be very sure what the effects are on you specifically.

• 5 months later...

Hey, 

For those following the IBS protocol, does that also exclude small amounts of seed butter (tahini) in condiments (ie. Sunshine Sauce)? Just looking to jazz up the piles of steamed/roasted veggies I'm eating (as I'm avoiding all raw veggies, as per the IBS protocol).

Thanks! 

k

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am wondering if I can take "Heather's Tummy Fiber" which is Organic Acacia Senegal Tummy Fiber, a prebiotic soluble fiber, on the program. It does not contain: insoluble fiber, citric acid, gluten, artificial colors or flavors, artificial sweeteners, or GI stimulants or irritants. The only ingredient is organic acacia (acacia senegal). It has been proven to stimulate the growth of healthy gut flora, which in return reduces bloating, gas and bowel irregularities from the digestive dysfunction of IBS. Since I suffer from constipation and have to take Myralax daily, I'm hoping once I slowly increase my daily intake of this fiber I won't need the Myralax anymore. So my question is, do you think this is OK to take on the Whole30 program? Thanks!

• 7 months later...

Hello everyone. I was recently diagnosed with IBS and have just started my second Whole30. The first one was fantastic. I am on day 3 and am having a flare up. I think it may have to do with my fat intake. I have been eating coconut flakes and almonds.. I think I may have to stop eating both for a couple of days and see if it makes a difference. 

The reason I wanted to post today was to ask if any of you have healed your SIBO with the Whole30 and what worked for you? I am starting the Lowfodmop protocol tomorrow to see how that works for me. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am terribly constipated right now :( 

• 3 months later...

Hi, I'm starting my first Whole30 in a couple of days and I have IBS and also GERD.  I decided to start because I've been having bad symptoms for the past 2.5 months and just want to feel better all the time.  I've been gluten free for just over 2 years and try to be careful with my diet, but I can't seem to kick both decaf coffee and chocolate, which I know are probably major triggers for me.  I've long since eliminated other things like alcohol, garlic, onions, tomatoes, and spicy foods.  I eat siggi's yogurt each morning and lately have been having gf oatmeal because both seem to help, but I know neither of those are approved W30 items.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could possibly eat instead who has both IBS and GERD?  Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Bone broth and gelatin are excellent for gut healing. Some people do well with kombucha and other fermented foods (cabbage can be too much for some - too much gas). If you haven't had fermented things before, add slowly as it can be a big change for your body.

Nightshades can be an irritant, you may not need to avoid them but you may find some items are triggers or eating too many of them is, some people are very sensitive to paprika, chilli and tomatoes, a sneaky one is goji berries, which aren't a berry at all.

You've also listed garlic and onions, so you also might want to monitor your FODMAPs, see if any of them are triggers for you (apples and pears are on this list).

I really like Lemongrass & Ginger tea instead of coffee, it has a nice pow in the morning and if you brew it a long time it can get quite spicy from the ginger.

Peppermint tea can also be very soothing for your insides, as are peppermint oil capsules if you can find them.

Your current breakfast sounds like it's acid-reducing, so a low-acid breakfast might be a good place to start. Some chicken thigh or eggs with sweet potato hash and spinach or other greens.

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.

I can do apples - they don't seem to bother me, but I have shyed away from peppermint as I have heard it can make things worse.  I used to live on Altoids and they would make me feel better for a while, but I wonder if they were hurting me in the long run.  The sugar in them probably didn't help either!

I've been avoiding spicy foods and spicy spices (pepper, paprika, etc) while I've been letting my system heal from whatever caused it in the first place.  I want to re-introduce them one at a time to see what really bothers me, but I want to wait until I feel stable for a while before I do (maybe after W30).

Ginger and chamomile teas are my favorite and I drink some of each every day.

I'm on day 3 and I still feel pretty good; I've eliminated a lot of stuff already over the past couple of years, so maybe that's why, but we shall see!

Thanks again for your suggestions!

Altoids are incredibly strong, peppermint tea is very weak by comparison and peppermint oil capsules would be somewhere in the middle, they're usually very small.

When you're ready to do reintroductions, plan them so the more reactive ones come later (paprika is often a culprit).

Archived