Surprised at the "withdrawal" symptoms

So, today is Day 1 for me, and I was strictly clean and by-the-book. I'm not going to say I expected this to be easy, but I figured that since I'm not coming from a SAD diet and generally try to eat mostly paleo most of the time (never eat grains, almost never eat dairy except grass-fed butter, only drink decaf coffee with stevia and unsweetened almond milk) it would be a relatively minor adjustment to give up my last remaining vices (82% dark chocolate sweetened with stevia, the almond milk and coffee, a concoction of vanilla protein powder, egg whites and almond butter I call a "blondie," and yes, an occasional Diet Coke and 1 or 2 glasses of wine a week) for 30 days. That's why I'm surprised at how awful I feel after just one day. I have a splitting headache, no energy, and am cranky and sluggish. I will say I wasn't hungry and surprisingly did not crave the chocolate, almond milk, or blondie like I normally do, but I feel like I'm going through withdrawal. I've decided to view this as a good thing, since I'm hoping these 30 days will set to rights certain digestive and other ailments, and that the withdrawal symptoms mean I'm on the right track. But it just goes to show that even when you think your diet is relatively clean, little innocuous vices can still mess you up!

By the way, I'm assuming Excedrin for the headache is out, lol. Any other ideas? :)

I don't think excedrine is out unless there is one of the big bad things in it. It does, I believe contain caffein. I think your headache is from giving up coffee. That is a tough one for a couple of days. You do know coffee is not banned right? I just want to be sure you know that. :)

I'd be surprised if it was the coffee. I only have one cup of decaf a day, and I often go days or even weeks without it and have never experienced this. I'm wondering if it's something about the chocolate or the almond milk (the carrageenan, perhaps?). I do get terrible stomach problems from beans and can't digest them at all, so maybe because chocolate comes from a bean it's messing me up in some way, even though it doesn't cause the same stomach upset? That's what I'm really hoping to get out of the next 30 days--answers! :)

Excedrin is out because it contains aspirin. Take some Tylenol for the headache (I know it doesn't work as well as Excedrin but it's better than suffering).

I was paleo before my first Whole30 and I felt like crap by the morning of day 2. I think it hits you faster but the good news is that you move past it faster too. I was feeling awesome by day 8 or 9 the first time!

(On a side note, when I started my last Whole30 - I had done quite a bit of off-roading over the holidays including gluten and dairy. It took longer to feel awful but it also lasted longer! It was day 15 or so before I started feeling the magic this time.)

• Moderators

The Whole30 does not rule out pain meds of any sort. Personally, I take Tylenol when I have a headache. The Success Guide advises people with autoimmune disease to avoid NSAIDs like Advil, aspirin, Motrin, and Aleve because they disrupt the lining of the gut.

That's why I'm surprised at how awful I feel after just one day. I have a splitting headache, no energy, and am cranky and sluggish. I will say I wasn't hungry and surprisingly did not crave the chocolate, almond milk, or blondie like I normally do, but I feel like I'm going through withdrawal.

What did you eat on day 0 (or even the day before)? From my observation, the first day or so of the Whole30 hangover is directly influenced by what you ate riiiiiiight before you started :) You're right, this will pass. Take something for your headache and rest well. Hoping you feel better soon!

Hi Robin, the two days before I started were pretty clean. Had my usual two squares of 82% stevia-sweetened dark chocolate, unsweetened almond milk, and my "blondie," but no Diet Cokes or wine. Everything else was food I could eat on the Whole30 (eggs & veggies, spinach salad with grilled chicken & avocado, ground turkey with steamed broccoli & cauliflower, etc.) That's why I'm surprised by the extreme reaction. In any case, feeling much better this morning, so I'm hoping the bad part has passed! :)

• 1 year later...

Im at the end of day two... Have been binging on sugar, Alcohol, marijuana, cigarettes and junk food for 3 months.. Put on 8kg in that time. Now at the end of day two I still have NO symptoms, cravings, I'll effects etc. why? I feel like it's not working because I feel fine! Can anyone advise me as to what is going on with my body?

Archived