Timing Dilemma

abur0418

I have a timing dilemma as far as pre/post workout meals. I eat breakfast at about 6 am, lunch at 12, then a pre workout meal at 3:45.

I get home from the gym at about 5:30 and immediately start making dinner to eat about 6:30. It doesn't make sense to me to have the 'post workout' meal, then have dinner like 30 minutes later because I won't be hungry. I am not really working out intensly because of a back injury. I am walking, doing the elliptical and doing core strengthening.

Should I just skip the post workout meal and eat dinner? Or what would be a more appropriate post workout 'snack' that wouldn't fill me up before dinner?

Thanks.

You may want to skip the pre-workout meal. Make it a light snack, well balanced snack then have your dinner when you get home. Just have the snack at least one hour before your workout. This is along the Metabolic efficiency guidelines.

• Moderators

If you were exercising intensively, I would recommend eating some protein at the gym before you come home. If you are taking it easy and not pushing your muscles very hard, waiting for supper should not be a problem.

Yeah - Eat right after. I've experimented with both, during which I've meticulously tracked my workout gains. All my stats tend to steadily increase when I keep a solid post-workout meal available (at least 50g of protein). My stats are very sporadic when I don't.

I'm not sure if there is well-accepted science with regards to the peak time window, but most studies suggest that your body wants food within about 45 minutes of working out.

Archived