Any1 else an 'all or nothing'???

Star

Looking for some fellow 'all or nothing-ers!!' :rolleyes:

I'm on day 5 and it's been a bad day. I'm exhausted, I've been feeling off since I started whole30 and am taking it out on...food!

Obviously.

I've been eating nuts and blueberries the whole day. But that's not my biggest issue. Problem is that I feel so frustrated at myself for over-eating, I just feel like giving it all up!

That's always my problem-it's all or nothing. If I'm not perfect, I give it up.

So meanwhile, I'm still eating the nuts cause I feel lousy bout myself.....

HOW SCREWED IS THAT?!?

I have similar issues and know that many others here do too. Many seem to choose to modify their Whole30s to not allow themselves to eat nuts/dried fruit/other-trigger-food to try to "starve" that compulsion... I don't really know how well it works. Although I just completed a Whole-something (45 or 60), I continued to struggle with overeating things like coconut flakes and nuts, and am planning another Whole30 in which those are just plain not an option. I hope it works, but I'll be watching this thread to see what others have to say. Good luck, and be gentle with yourself!

Don't give up. Don't beat your self up. Mostly... STEP AWAY FROM THE NUTS!

Reflect on the things that brought you to W30. What inspired you about it? What potential benefits could you gain?

Only good can come from a truly committed W30. You can do this. If you have not read “It Starts with Food.†Start now. If you have read it then reread Chapter 1 & 2... heck reread the whole thing!

If you need to regroup and start fresh then do it! You are only 5 days in regroup and start over if that will help you. Make sure you have planned a head. It is KEY!

You got this!

W30 is All or NOTHING! Do it ALL, you can! :D

P.S. If fruit and nuts are trigger food that you will eat with "no breaks" then DO NOT buy them, ;)

Shelli and Callan: THANK-YOU!!

It's hard to think objectively when I'm stuck in this rut and so awesome to have ppl like u to do it for me :)

You are both right abt the nuts. When I started whole30 I was so excited to have a diet that allows for nuts but I kno it isn't rlly wat works for me, never will...

Not sure if I should just say NO NUTS! It's prob the only thing to do but it makes me feel constricted and a little rebellious thinkin abt it....!

I'm def laying off nuts completely for the next three days. THERE! ON PAPER! I'll let u kno if I succeed.

Best of luck to you Callan on your next whole30!

Thanks for the tip.

I have been feeling rlly hungry in between meals, I'm probably relying on the vegies filling me more than they do..and need more real PROTEIN-the good stuff!

OK here goes! NUTS AWAY!!!!!

I feel your pain. I was doing fairly well keeping the fruit and nuts under control...then almond butter walked into my life. LOVE!! Luckily it was only an 11 oz. jar. Unluckily, I ate all of it in about 2 days. I know what will never be on my shopping list again! B)

• Moderators

My answer to most craving questions is to eat bigger meals with substantial portions of protein, fat, and veggies. Our diet culture makes it hard for most of us to appreciate how much food we should be eating at meals and we eat too little. Then we snack because we are genuinely hungry. My goal at meals is to finish so full that I don't think about food for another 4 or 5 hours.

I keep having a fantasy of running a live-in, Whole30 treatment center where I teach people to shop and cook and make sure they eat enough at every meal. :)

This is very interesting, Tom, and something for me to ponder. I am coming from an "eat until you are 80% full" camp. So getting to that full-full feeling is a challenge for me (but I am getting there, at least with some of my meals). On the meals that I do, I love it! It is such a change from thinking about food all the time.

My goal at meals is to finish so full that I don't think about food for another 4 or 5 hours.

I can so relate to this. All or nothing. and that is why I'm doing Whole30.....because I need to change my relationship with food. It can't be about doing this for 30 days and then going right back to where you started. If there is an issue with overeating, I want to use Whole30 and good food to help me not have this mentality anymore. I would love, love, love to be able, after this to have, on a special occasion 'one bite of a special dessert' or something like that. Rather than if i'm being good, then have one bite, say screw it to the rest of the day (week), (month) until I'm 'back on' the wagon again. I really hate that roller coaster and i want off it!

So my advice to you and what I am trying to do is if nuts feel like a food without brakes, but yet saying absolutely no to them feels like you want to rebel, I would look at the food suggestions in here and also on the package of nuts at the 'serving size'....if its 12 nuts, then that's all you get. Not going back into the package for more handfuls.....this is what I am trying because its the way I want my future life to look....a little bit of fun without binging. Some balance and self control.

Just know...you are not alone. We can do this!

Rather than if i'm being good, then have one bite, say screw it to the rest of the day (week), (month) until I'm 'back on' the wagon again. I really hate that roller coaster and i want off it!

I'm SO happy to report that the Whole30 shut down that roller coaster for me! I always used to 'screw up' with one indulgence, and then use that as an excuse to blow the whole weekend or week. Now that I understand it was the foods I was eating that caused all of the problems, I can't see myself ever going back. I'm sure it will work for you too!

For nuts and nut butter, I allowed myself to have them only as an ingredient in a recipe on the W30, not as a stand-alone snack. That way, I could have them -- but I was not continuing the 'eating without brakes' way of consuming them.

In practice, I didn't have them even as an ingredient except maybe once. But it was very freeing to know that I could. I was 'allowed' to add them to a recipe (or to choose a recipe that included them), even if I chose not to do it.

The way I made that choice not to was usually with a thought along the lines of, "Nah, I'll put them in something tomorrow if I still want them."

Now that I'm in post-W30, I'm not interested in nuts. I even had a big bowl of them in front of me for two days (because I put it out for guests and then didn't put it away) and just wasn't that interested. Mainly because I know they're high in Omega 6's and I want to increase my Omega 3's.

I'm only one week post-W30 so it may be a bit early. But nuts are not calling my name. (Nothing is. No cravings.)

Terez

LOL, Nadia!!!

I was eating fairly clean before doing the W30. The only things I began eliminating were raw dairy (which I had been having daily; doing without dairy was the biggest change for me), wine (two or three glasses on Sundays) and the minuscule amounts of sugar in 90% dark chocolate (I'd have a few squares over the course of a week).

So I guess there isn't really much that I was "giving up" during the Whole30. What was bigger for me was using the W30 to tighten things up by not having "meals" of almond butter and apples, for example (or cheese and apples).

The only thing I reintroduced was raw milk and then I got sick for 2-1/2 days after that. Still not sure if it was a reaction to the dairy but I can't afford to be out of commission for two days so I'm holding off retrying it.

I'll probably have a glass of wine on Sunday because I'm having a guest over for dinner. There's some dark chocolate sitting in a cupboard when I'm ready to have some. Maybe after I have wine and chocolate, they'll start calling to me. But I doubt it because they weren't calling to me before I began the W30. They were just an occasional treat.

I thought I would immediately resume having cream and stevia in my coffee but I'm holding off on that. I am sure I would like my coffee better with a bit of sweetener but I am not missing it the way I was the first couple of weeks. I'd rather go without stevia longer and see a few more weeks results in me preferring my coffee unsweetened.

I have no idea how people can jump in with the Whole30 from a regular diet. I took an entire month to transition from my old diet to Primal, purposely going very slowly. And then I was Primal (paleo + raw milk + occasional wine and 85%-90% dark chocolate) for three months before doing my Whole30. Took two days "off" at Christmas and two days "off" at New Year's, but that was not drastic off-roading by any means.

Fortunately I found the Primal Blueprint first. If I had read ISWF back in August, I would never have gone any further. It was too extreme for me. Mark Sisson's "80/20" and "a little raw dairy if you tolerate it, a little dark chocolate, a little wine" felt like something I could live with. By the time I came across ISWF in December, it was just the next logical step for me.

Long rambling way of saying, it's not superpowers, it's just one step at a time.

I've got more tightening up to do, particularly with sleep and fitness. It's a journey.

I am on day 5 too, and feel similar in many regards. The fatigue is hitting me today. I am feeling famished, which has not hit me earlier in the week. This is an "all" endeavor for me. The nothing is not an option. Don't throw the towel in.

I have nuts and berries with me today, and save them for an afternoon snack. I have been trying to keep myself busy to not nosh, and have had my meal #1 and meal #2 today.

I have forgone working out 3 out of the first 4 days. I am forcing myself to go to spin class tonite, though I would rather go home and take a nap. Usually exercise gives me more energy, so I am surprised I bailed out almost every day this week.

This is hard, but I think that both of us being only on day 5, we have to hang in, there will be results. For me, I am not overweight, but I have recurring tendonitis in my shoulder, and plantar facitis for over 6 months, and am hoping some of these nagging ailments will clear up!

Wow, just seeing that all of u are in the same boat makes me more determined to push thru.

I say, "This. IS. Hard." :) But it's hard for everyone, I'm not the only 1 who feels like giving up! We're all pushin ourselves and trying to break rock-hard habits, and that'll mean sick effort 4 us all.

G luck to all of us 'all or nothingers'! We will TRIUMPH!

I use nuts/dried fruit/etc. as emergency food. Great for travelling so I can not eat the croissants or whatever else is looking delicious in front of me and stay somewhat on track. Did that this weekend, actually...

Beyond that, I try to limit myself. Try being the operative word!

I think the next time I do this (and I certainly will!) I'll have to steer clear of the allowed lara bars (supposedly for emergencies only) and definitely coconut butter. I love coconut butter! It's so hard to stop eating it -- and I believe that's the very definition of food without brakes.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also a all or nothing - WAS I should say.. Two weeks with not a single cheat in my first Whole30 challenge. I used to also have a single treat, cheat, mess up, call it what you want.. and toss myself in the mud like JJB but THEN I would go swimming in that mud sometimes for a week, aah it was horrible until I got so low that I would once again cut everything bad and go strict eating and start feeling better.. reward myself with *gasp* FOOD anndd go for another swim.. it was horrible. Getting to the point, the only food that gets me in that food eating, face stuffing, eat as fast as you can without even paying attention is nuts (or nut butters) and dried fruit. Bad news bears. So I avoid them as much as I can, I may have a few if I'm waiting for dinner, or I love sunbutter with granny smith apple slices.. when you are going to have them ONLY have them when you have eaten your meal - that way you are full and not a ravenous, food crazy "hangry" person ready to devour anything that hits your lips and not stop until your full. Also take that ONE serving, close the bag, put it away, WALK away to somewhere else and enjoy the nuts and do not go back for more. This is what I find has worked best for me. If you are full and having a few but still want to eat them like you'll never see a single nut again, just avoid them all together!

Hey rChristine,

You sure we aren't twins or somethin???!!!!!!

That is exactly the way I work!

I've been 'swimming in the mud' for days now! Just b/c of some stupid nuts.

I love your approach and advice. Making it work is another thing, especially right now while I'm real busy swimming....

But once I've picked myself up and out, I will definitely try and think like that!

Thanks ;)

Archived