Paleo Burrito with Rice and Beans

Brad Hefta-Gaub

Brad, thanks for your great post on why this recipient wasn't SWYPO for you based on your reading of the book... Very clear, and particularly helpful for me!

Rest of the posters... Go you! Great discussion and clarifies a lot for me on a topic I did not give enough thought to during my whole30

I don't think this is SWYPO either and this is why- my husband is half Mexican and the only way I notice him connecting to that heritage is through food and Spanglish. He has gone off gluten but refuses to go any further and a whole30 is not something he would do because he loves his BEANS. So I ran this idea by him and he just kind of wrinkled his nose and turned his head to the side like a confused dog, and so, no I don't think you had SWYPO, I think you just had an intriguing veggie omelet.

I don't think this is SWYPO either and this is why- my husband is half Mexican and the only way I notice him connecting to that heritage is through food and Spanglish. He has gone off gluten but refuses to go any further and a whole30 is not something he would do because he loves his BEANS. So I ran this idea by him and he just kind of wrinkled his nose and turned his head to the side like a confused dog, and so, no I don't think you had SWYPO, I think you just had an intriguing veggie omelet.

Lol...coming from San Diego and having eaten Mexican street food all my life, I would not have labeled it a bean burrito. It does sound like some flavors I'd like to try though.

Lol...coming from San Diego and having eaten Mexican street food all my life, I would not have labeled it a bean burrito. It does sound like some flavors I'd like to try though.

Actually, to clarify, the "beans" and "rice" were both on the side... the "burrito" was all meat.

Other than looking a little like a "wet" burrito (no way this could be picked up and eaten by hand, like you'd get from a San Diego street vendor), this was actually picadillo (ground beef cooked in chili powder, cumin, onions, oregano, salt, pepper, and some stewed tomato chunks), which happened to be wrapped in a very very thin omelet... almost like what a chile relleno would be cooked in... In fact, next time I do this, I'll actually just make chile relleno's stuffed with this picadillo and of course, no cheese.

Oh, I totally missed the fact that the eggplant mixture was on the side. I voted nuts and their butters off of my island. I wouldn't mind using them in an occasional recipe. I may have to give them a try and see if I still want to go face first into them. I sort of think I am over that at this point.

I am off to flip tires with my ever so mean (kidding) trainer but when I get back, I am going to spill it about my take on Tom's SWYPO opinion. I've thought a lot about SWYPO and have seen many good discussions over the last 7 months on this site.

where's the recipe?! (drool)

Well, I don't really do recipes that's too much like sheet music, it's more like a jam session when I cook... but here's the basics.

"Brad's Don't Call Them Refried Beans"

• Ingredients:
    • Roasted Eggpant - (cut eggplant in half; lightly coat with olive oil, salt, pepper; roast in 350F oven for 30-40 minutes, until nice and soft)
    • Roasted Butternut Squash - (cut squash in half; remove seeds; lightly coat with olive oil, salt, pepper, other spices like cayenne, chipotle, paprika; roast in 400F oven for 50-80 minutes, until nice and soft)
    • Your Favorite Nut Butter - your favorite almond or hazelnut, preferably something rich and dark
    • Your Favorite "Mexican" Spices - Salt, Pepper, Cayenne, Paprika, Chipotle, Cumin, Cinnamon to taste

[*]Directions:

• Mix approximately 1cup of Eggplant, 1 cup of Butternut Squash, and 1/4 cup of Nut Butter and your favorite spices.

"Brad's Don't Call It Spanish Rice"

• Ingredients:
    • Cauliflower - Grated in a food processor
    • Tomatoes Peeled/Chunked - Easy from a can, or you can use fresh tomatoes, but canned stewed whole or chopped is easier.
    • Onions - chopped
    • Garlic - minced
    • Mushrooms - sliced
    • Your Favorite "Mexican" Spices - Salt, Pepper, Cayenne, Paprika, Chipotle, Cumin, Cinnamon to taste

[*]Directions:

• In a large flat skillet heat your favorite Whole30 approved cooking oil (olive, avocado, coconut, rendered meat fat, etc.)
    • Add Onions, Mushrooms, cook a couple minutes till they soften.
    • Add remaining ingredients.
    • Spice to taste.
    • Cook till you can't stand it any longer... cause it smells so good!

"Brad's You Can Call It Picadillo, Cause That's What It Is"

• Ingredients:
    • Grass Fed Ground Beef - Get it from your favorite Whole30 butcher
    • Tomatoes Peeled/Chunked - Easy from a can, or you can use fresh tomatoes, but canned stewed whole or chopped is easier.
    • Onions - chopped
    • Garlic - minced
    • Mushrooms - sliced

[*]Directions:

• In a large skillet add ground beef. Let it cook until the meat fat has started to render out a bit.
    • Add Onions, Mushrooms, cook a couple minutes till they soften.
    • Add remaining ingredients.
    • Spice to taste.
    • Cook till you can't stand it any longer... cause it smells so good!

"Brad's Don't Call It a Tortilla 'Cause It's Really Just A Thin Omelette"

• Ingredients:
    • 3-4 Eggs per 12" Non-Tortilla - crack em in a bowl, beat them sensless

[*]Directions:

• In a large flat skillet heat your favorite Whole30 approved cooking oil (olive, avocado, coconut, rendered meat fat, etc.)
    • Pour eggs in skillet. Make sure it spreads out, nice and thin.
    • Cook it till it's firm.... flip it... cook it some more.

"Brad's Don't Call It a Burrito with Rice and Beans"

• Ingredients:
    • All Above Items...
    • Sliced Avocado
    • Whole30 Approved Salsa
    • Some Salad

[*]Directions:

• Put it on a plate... it'll taste better!

Thanks for posting exactly what you did. I just made the "beans" per how you described in the first post, made the cauli-fried-rice the way I always make it and made a taco seasoned ground beef. Then I put all three in an egg omelet and covered with a hot sauce. It was amazing that way. The flavors really work together and it is really unique. I'll try it the way you describe next!

My daughter was standing at the counter, scooping the "bean" mix with a spoon over and over into her mouth before dinner, so a good amount of it was eaten beforehand. ;) And, she actually ate the burrito as I described. That's amazing because she's usually a food separatist. So thanks for posting this and seriously, do a blog of your awesome cooking (or if you already do, please tell me where it is)!

Yummmmm!!! I'm all for using SAD "templates" to make delicious healthy food, I don't see how it's SWYPO, it's a new improved version of an old favourite :) Paleo brownies, I get why they're out, but this ticks all the nutritional boxes. No diff between this and pasta-less lasagne, almond flour crusted chicken etc etc... LOVE this idea and will be making it ASAP. Taking the pants off! ;)

I'm totally new at this but from reading the swypo article, what I got from it is that it's a poor substitute just sort of taking the place of the real thing until you decide to throw caution to the wind and just go for it. Which I take to mean, even if Brad was looking to make up for lost beans or tortilla, if he actually stumbles across a version he likes even better but it's made from veggies...this is a problem how? Not sure how these "beans" are any different from cauliflower rice except that theres more ingredients. Trigger foods excepted, of course. See, for me, the much bigger problem would be the tortilla replacement, as I really like the texture of an actual tortilla in burritos, and this would be ok but really just a poor substitute. Does anybody else follow my logic or I'm I rambling incoherently when I should be sleeping?

What's funny to me is that had you just showed that picture and called this what it actually is, an omelette with cauliflower and eggplant, there'd be no SWYPO discussion! People around here always have a freak on for eggs and avocado :) Semantics!

Archived