Oh Friday...you get me every time

megmac

I remember writing about this during my first W30 as well, and it pains me to say that I'm still bugged by it. The Friday Reward. Where is it?

I know, I know-feeling good, being healthy, sleeping well, I get it. That should be my reward. And 6 days a week, it is. But here I am, another grumpy Friday. It's been a LONG week of budgets, horrible commutes, gym days, getting up and out of the house in the dark, parenting, etc. Where is my reward? Nothing crazy, just a steak salad with buttermilk ranch, a glass of wine, a square of dark chocolate. I'm on Day 13.

I had one person write and say that Friday nights are her planning nights. Picking out meals, putting together shopping lists, etc. I love the idea, but after 50+ hours of work, 12+ hours of commuting, and daily workouts (I'm doing a 100 day challenge, so yes-every day), I just can't bring myself to do it. I'm tired.

I scheduled myself a massage for next Friday night, so hopefully that will help. I get that food and drink shouldn't be used as my reward, and I'm not caving. But it makes me want to go home and go to bed. For some reason, while so many things have changed for me, I still haven't slayed the Friday Dragon. This continues to me my biggest challenge.

Massage is a great idea! Definitely shoot for something relaxing and low key. I've had a similar week. I plan on snuggling in with my daughter and our cat and watching a movie. We will likely sip homemade chai. I view Fridays as a chance to step outside of my routine and turn my brain off from all responsibilities.

Great post. Remember - you are being rewarded every day with a renewed lease on health and well being.

I don't always have plans on Fridays, but I often make them a little bit nicer than your average night. No reason not to have that special steak salad (paleo mayo ranch, yes please!), to splurge on a bottle of kombucha when you don't normally, to watch a movie or take a bubble bath or go to that candlelight yoga class....treat yourself! just remember that doing it this way you are also giving youself a real gift of a health as well.

Candelight yoga? Are you serious?

Okay, I'm putting Kombucha on my shopping list. I've never tried it, although I've been reading about it on here for 8 months. For some reason, the thought just icks me out. Changing that tomorrow.

Thanks for the ideas people. Maybe I just needed to complain publicly. It's so productive.

It always helps to know you're not alone in your feelings. Fridays were tough for me last month, tougher than any other day of the week, because I had it pretty well ingrained that Friday=drinks with the hubby....well to be quite honest in the months leading up to Jan 2 any day equaled drinks with the hubby which was reason #1 for doing a W30 in the first place!

The way I treated myself was actually to go to bed early. Sounds boring but a lack of sleep is a major issue for me. Totally messes with my head.

I feel your pain too, my week is filled with long hours and commutes. I was thrilled when the crossfit gym owner asked if I could do the intro classes on Mondays and Fridays. So for a couple of weeks, starting next Friday night, I will have something different to do.

Sleeping is a reward in my world too, I am so tired by the end of the week that I embrace the idea of going to bed early!

You aren't alone, and you'll find something that works for you.

I so know where you are coming from! I don't know when it changed for me, but now Fridays are celebrated by 1) eating out - ie, no dishes for me! and 2) looking forward to 'sleeping in' on Saturday morning (cause you know...6:30 am IS sleeping in!!).

I also have used the evening to watch back episodes of some show I might like (without guilt), to read a good book (again, without guilt) or doing anything else I find 'fun' that I rarely have time for during the week. Shopping would be high on my list if I had any local girlfriends who liked to shop...I miss that!

So indulge with something OTHER than food and eventually, you will change that habit. I swear!

Candlelight yoga is SO my favorite, but nowhere in my neighborhood does a class! Maybe when I start going to a studio enough to be a "regular" I'll suggest it.

My "rewards" for when I need one:

• An hour reading with a giant cup of tea or crio bru (with coconut milk)
  • Renting a movie
  • Cooking something more involved than I usually do or trying out a new recipe
  • Buying a magazine and spending the time to read through the whole thing
  • Giving myself a manicure OR buying a nail polish or something else small and immediately enjoyable like that

Exactly. But it has been good for me, since I spend 10 hours a day at my desk (on a yoga ball at least), and an hour in the car each way. That much sedentary time was wiping me out. Now I'm back in the habit of doing something as soon as I get home, and my big hound dog is thrilled.

Ugh I was feeling this today big time. I'm only on day 12 of my W30 and this is my 2nd Friday and it was rough. My fiancé and I usually have drinks and go out to dinner on Fridays and I just missed that. We went out and had sushi, my first attempt at a W30 restaurant experience. I felt good about making better choices at dinner but that didn't keep me from wishing I could eat the shrimp tempura slathered in spicy mayo! I know I have to just keep pushing through and hope it'll get easier!

Archived