Flat kombucha?! *gasp*

Heidiwag

My wonderful hubby gave me an early Valentines gift yesterday.....drumroll...... A CASE of Gingerade Kombucha from Whole Foods! After my happy dance, I popped one open, poured into my wine glass and sipped. The result: totally flat tasting. No fun bubbles, no light refreshing ginger taste, just flat/old tasting kombucha.

I've only bought the bottles individually and have never had a problem. Have you guys experienced this? Is the rest of the case going to be like this?

Maybe it's just me... I am sick and maybe my taste buds were off?? Either way, kinda disappointing!

What a thoughtful gift!

I would take it back to WF and explain the issue. I have to imagine they will take it back!

Thanks, KB! I think I'm going to. I'm scared to open any more bottles to check, for fear that they may not let me return. I just wish there were more whole foods in the twin cities area!

Good luck! (Going off on a tangent - I didn't realize there were few WF in the Twin Cities - my dad lives in the western suburbs, and there is a WF just around the corner from his place - also a TJ's. I didn't realize he was in a favored location! Heehee)

Thanks for the advice SLW! I will crack another one open and try it. This was the best gift ever!!!! I've never really been a jewelry gal.... ;)

Amy, I know the exact area in which you are citing and he is indeed a lucky man to be that close to WF and TJs. They are both about 20-30 miles from me. Which I should mention is probably a good thing... As I would be one broke lady! :)

By the way, I blame all you folks for starting this kombucha addiction of mine! :)

Heidi, next challenge is to make your own. It's super fun (I can hear Amy's eyes rolling :) ) and not difficult. There is a good thread about it called It's Alive! You can buy your monster or start one with a bottle of plain Kombucha.

Heidi, next challenge is to make your own. It's super fun (I can hear Amy's eyes rolling :) ) and not difficult. There is a good thread about it called It's Alive! You can buy your monster or start one with a bottle of plain Kombucha.

As much as I would LOVE to make my own.... I have a hard time keeping two kids, a husband, and a dog alive let alone keep a scoby alive!!! ;)

In all seriousness, I think it sounds super fun and right up my alley! I think it would be fun to experiment with different flavors. I'll have to check out that thread.

Ok, I wanted to update this thread after I received a response from GT. They were terrific at responding to my email and gave me this information that I thought may help others:

"As you may already know, GT's Kombucha does contain a naturally occurring effervescence that varies from batch to batch and bottle to bottle. Unlike soda, the “carbonation†may increase the longer product remains bottled. Therefore, recently bottled or "fresher" product tends to be less fizzy and vice versa. While the effervescence does create a fun texture and depth of flavor, it is not an indication of quality or potency. Enlightened Synergy Chia flavors have a naturally smooth texture because of the addition of chia seeds and will not be effervescent like the others.

Here's a tip you can potentially use: simply leave your remaining bottles out of the fridge for 48-72 hours. The room temperature will reactivate the raw and living properties, thus facilitating the development of fizz! Then you can pop them back in the fridge to chill and enjoy. (Please note we never recommend leaving out Synergy Chia for any reason due to the extra delicate blend of ingredients.) "

So, I took my bottles out of the fridge and am going to let them "age" a bit! :)

I'll let ya'll know if it works!

Archived