Always wondered about ghee

CaseyD

I know ghee has some great health benefits, but I always have wondered why it is included as part of a Whole30, which is truly an elimination diet. I have a dairy allergy and react to ghee almost as bad as if I had just eaten butter. For someone who doesn't know how dairy affects them, wouldn't the inclusion of ghee hinder their ability to tell if they are sensitive to dairy? I've just always wondered about this.

Hi Casey, sorry you react like this. I've always read that, because all the milk solids are eliminated and all that's left is pure fat, ghee shouldn't have the same effect as milk. Obviously we're all different, some people react to nightshades, some to eggs, most don't and it's a shame you react to ghee as well. I have to say that I don't do dairy either but don't have any problem with ghee other than the fact that I really don't like the taste. This is why I like keeping a food log, if you feel you're having any reaction it makes it easy to refer to to try to find the culprit.

Archived