Twin Cities dining out

EileenRBe

Very helpful, thanks!! Butcher and Boar sounds awesome. They had me at house made ghee.

We're at a hotel with kitchenette and brought a bunch of food. I'm starting a new job a week from Monday and don't want to risk the health consequences of reintros if I can help it.

I'm lining up catering for funeral luncheon so will try to make some compliant choices. No one else has to know!

My brother picked a Greek restaurant for tonight. I mentioned Jaleo to him, and we'll head there one of these times. (We have dinner every four to six weeks.)

I had salmon on a Greek salad (minus feta, onion, pepperocini and dressing). After all my special ordering, the salad showed up with garbanzo beans, which I picked off -- and my brother ate. (He's been eating off my plate what I don't want ever since I was a little kid!) The salmon was dressed with olive oil then grilled. Excellent.

Oh, hey, great to be staying at a place with a kitchenette. And how wise of you to avoid reintroductions right now. I was out of commission for two days last week.

Thanks, Eileen!

We have a res for tomorrow at Butcher & Boar. This is one of the hottest TC restaurants right now--earliest avail was 8:45. Will report on it if we go.

Went to Birchwood yesterday. Had grassfed tenderloin, salad, kombucha. Very good, and counter guy was helpful about specing olive oil.

We ran out of steam and cancelled our 8:45 p.m. Butcher & the Boar reservation. Some other time.

Had lunch at Spoon River - upscale, local, farm to table. Waitress balked (not super courteously either) at substitutions request. So had duck confit salad with roasted beets and kombucha (served in a wine glass without being asked--nice). It was good, but not sure what else I could have ordered. I am post-W30; someone wanting to stay compliant might steer clear, since our server didn't seem real open to checking on ingredients.

If you are still in the Twin Cities I would highly recommend Brasa, which is a southern/ creole style rotissere. Lots of good choices. We ate at Cafe Levain last night in South Minneapolis and they were very accomodating of my restrictions- I am doing Whole 30. I had ribye with Brussels sprouts and kale, and they switched out EVOO for butter. It is a neighborhood place and easy to get reservations or place at the bar.

• 4 years later...

Hi Cassi,

Unfortunately Brasa is not Whole 30 complaint any longer. I was there yesterday and the only option that was whole 30 compliant was their Farm Fresh Eggs, but they cook almost everything in corn oil and do not have another option for oil. I had to leave and not get anything, I was very sad!

• 3 months later...

Had my first Whole30 dining out experience yesterday!  After reaching out to multiple restaurants, I came across Agra Culture Kitchen & Press & was delighted with their menu and GREAT customer service.  Upon messaging the restaurant on Facebook, I was met with a timely, kind, and patient response (something I did receive from others in the area like Butcher & the Boar and Brasa, unfortunately).  An owner or manager (Anne) reached out to me, sent me her personal phone number, and allowed me to call her & chat about the menu options!  

Here are all of the great things she had to share with me:

1. You can ask for your meat to be cooked in coconut oil! (But you must ask, because this isn't the standard oil that they use!)
  2. They are working on creating some Whole30 compliant dressings to serve in the restaurant (right now all of their dressings have added sugar)!!!!!

Once I got to the restaurant, I ordered the "Paleo Burger Bowl" (about $12.50 - I think).  It came with mushrooms, a delicious burger patty, sautéed peppers & onions, and the perfect amount of avocado!  I was so impressed with the flavors and so happy to see the dish I selected marked "Paleo" on the menu (that makes me feel a little safer about dining out on the Whole30!).

Overall, so happy with my experience.  From what I researched & experienced, Agra Culture Kitchen is the best spot in Minneapolis to grab a Whole30 meal out!

• 8 months later...

Archived