Magnesium citrate

Mrsjk3a

I am on day 19 and have been constipated for about 5 days. I read in the forum that it is ok to take magnesium citrate. I looked up the inactive ingredients (after I had already taken it) and one of the ingredients is sodium saccharin which I learned is an artificial sweetener. Do I need to start over? :(

Here is the magnesium that I take: http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Vitality-Magnesium-Calm---/dp/B000GJOZWE/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1360461505&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=natural+calm+mag

I take it as a sleep aid and it really helps. It also helps "getting things going' too.

You can find the Natural calm at most health food stores… about $20

Any ideas why you are constipated? If you are not already doing to be sure to keep a log of your food. This makes any issues easier to solve.

As for starting over... IMO this was an oops and you don't need to. Take it as a big learning lesson. If you don't know what something is, Google if before you take/eat it.

Best of luck to you. I am on day 20 myself! :D

Thank you! Yes, I learned a huge lesson! I haven't kept a food log. I mean I have menu planned out but that's it. I will start a food log tomorrow. My husband is also doing the whole 30 with me and he is not having this problem. I have had my gallbladder removed so I wonder if that has something to do with it.

• 1 month later...

I was really constipated when I quit sugar and grains in FEb. (Wasn't W30 bc I was still eating dairy.) It was really uncomfortable and on same days I couldn't stop thinking about it. It is really really normal for people to become constipated when they suddenly change to a veg-heavy diet.

My body was ill-equipped to deal with the sudden influx of veggies because I'd been eating so much garbage (refined flour, sugar, etc.) . TAking food enzymes like Udo's (though check the label bc I am not sure if it's compliant) really helps. You take bwefore meals and then after a week or so you don't need them anymore. Magnesium also helps but in my case it wasn't enough. AFter a few days on the enzymes I was fine with just the magnesium to keep things going.

Just found this Whole 9 piece on digestive enzymes. I definitely had the "rock in the gut" symptoms described. Ugh.

I've experienced something similar to constipation during my first few days, but it was not uncomfortable. I just didn't visit the restroom for a few days but I was just fine. I even lied to myself and chose to think that my body is just soaking in every bit of the good food that there's nothing left to get rid of (wishful thinking and low science class attendance or both).

IMHO a little oops (or a few) won't ruin the experiment. Good luck!

On a very separate note, how do I start a topic..I'm new to this forum and technologically challenged :-)

Archived