Applegate Naturals Uncured Turkey Bacon

gattling

Hi, all,

I'm on Day 7 of the W30, and so far things are going great. With respect to bacon, though, I'm really confused. I read some earlier posts, and the "manifestos", and I'm still confused.

I thought I read somewhere that this brand of bacon - Applegate Naturals uncured turkey bacon - was acceptable, but now I'm not so sure.

Can anyone help out?

Many, many thanks,

Greg

• Moderators

I found compliant bacon of several varieties in several local stores about 2 years ago and then, all of a sudden, every pack of bacon I checked had some form of sugar. I don't know if the manufacturers changed or the stores changed or if maybe I became a more careful label reader, but I don't even look for bacon locally anymore.

Anybody know if retailers like Whole Foods or Wegman's carry sugar-free bacon?

I haven't found any bacon at Wegmans or Whole Foods that's compliant. Closest at Whole Foods would be their sliced pork belly that you can fry up so it's bacon-like. Closest at Wegmans is...well...nothing. I'm on Day 29 and purchased a pack of Organic Uncured Applewood Smoked bacon that does have organic brown sugar in it. If I get the strong desire to have bacon after my Whole30 is up, that's what I'll have.

I asked if anyone had sugar-free bacon at the St Lawrence market in Toronto (named the world's best food market by National Geographic in April 2012), thinking that they of all places might have it, and I got laughed away like I was totally bonkers. Apparently the sugar is needed during the curing process to counteract the salt, or something to that effect.

• 1 month later...

I asked if anyone had sugar-free bacon at the St Lawrence market in Toronto (named the world's best food market by National Geographic in April 2012), thinking that they of all places might have it, and I got laughed away like I was totally bonkers. Apparently the sugar is needed during the curing process to counteract the salt, or something to that effect.

Sugar really isn't needed for the curing process. I cure my own all the time without sugar.

Hi Nicole, if that's the only noncompliant food you've eaten, I wouldn't start over, I'd just chalk it up to a learning experience of just how careful we need to be reading labels. Don't have the noncompliant bacon again and just carry on. I doubt very much you'll have had enough to really make a difference. If, at the end of your 30 days you don't feel you've had all the results you want you can always add on a few days but I'm sure you'll be fine. good luck

Archived