Help, day 7 running issue!!

Kristen Schueler

I'm training for my third half marathon, and I have been running 3-5 miles a few days a week regularly. It's time to kick in my long runs, and today was supposed to be my 5 mile run as my first long run during my half marathon training. I felt good until about 2 miles, at which point I started noticing blind spots in my vision.

By about 3.5 miles, almost the entire vision in my left side was all spotty, like when you get light headed from standing up too quickly. Otherwise I felt fine, I wasn't light headed or anything. I stopped at 4 miles because it was kind of scary.

It's been about 15 mins since I stopped and I have an awful headache and feel kind of weak, but not too bad, and my vision is fine now. Feeling very frustrated, not sure if that was low blood sugar or what. Any ideas??

Caveat - I'm not a doctor. I don't even play one on TV. :)

First, if you are alarmed, I think it's always appropriate to check with your medical doctor. Anything that "scares" you is probably worth making sure an actual medical doctor checks you and and makes sure there isn't something else going on.

That being said... it sounds to me like you are low on calories, and you are still adjusting to the lower carb approach of Whole30. 7 days is barely enough time for your body to start adjusting to this new fueling approach.

Without knowing more about how much you've been eating, and when and how much you ate before this particular run, it's hard to know for sure. But, it sounds like you have had a calorie deficit, and your body was letting you know.

Steps you should probably take:

1) Make sure you're eating enough. It's easy accidentally to eat less than you need when you switch to nutrient rich less-calorie-dense whole foods.

2) Take it easier on your long run. Slow your pace down, until you've adjusted to your new nutrition plan. There's plenty of sports research that says that slower longer workouts are far more beneficial in producing endurance results than shorter harder workouts.

I agree with Brad, up the starch and expect to feel like crap until you become fat adapted in a couple weeks. Take it as easy as you can until then, and do some walking intervals if you just have to get your miles in. As someone with a running past I have a hard time convincing myself that walking "counts." No, it's not the same as running, but it does count, and is better than wearing yourself out during the transition.

It took me about 3 weeks to start feeling better, and my runs went from sucky to fantastic within the span of a few days.

It took me about 3 weeks to start feeling better, and my runs went from sucky to fantastic within the span of a few days.

This was my experience also. I could barely get through my first weeks workouts and now at day30 (1) I'm having the best runs since I-can't-remember-when-it-felt-this-good. I had to play with the carb ratios a little, upping my sweet potato portions before a workout.

Archived