whole30 supercharged...kinda

missmary

So I've done a ton of thinking on my recent whole30, and, although I've got a lot that is working for me, I'm still not as healthy as I could be and I deserve to be healthy and happy (insert swear word of choice for firm emphasis)! eh hem. I've also studied a couple of the special food plans in practical paleo, so I'm making my own plan incorporating some ideas from that and a special focus on the meal template from ISWF. This will mean a little more precision on fat and carb intake than I would ever recommend for somebody on their first ride through the W30 (thus posted in the post-w30 log area), but for my own piece of mind, I feel like I need to try this for a while. n=1 begins now.

Here's my rulebook:

1. Minimum 2 cups veggies at each meal, variety of colors/types, up to about 3/4 cup starchy veggies post-workout meals, up to 1/4 cup starchy veggies in other meals. I will include 1/4 cup cultured carrots or beets as part of my starch at breakfast and dark green veggies at least once per day.
  2. 1 palm of protein at each meal.
  3. Careful moderation of fats, favoring avocado, naturally occuring fat in meat, fish and eggs, etc. over added oil and ghee. 1 thumb of fat at each meal, or 1/2 avocado or a small handful olives. no paleo mayo.
  4. My regimine of vitamin D supplements, 1 brazil nut*, 1.5 sheets of sea snax, 8 ozish of my home brewed kombucha will continue (although I think I will stop mentioning it in my log every day). I MIGHT spring for fermented cod liver oil/butter blend to add to the mix.
  5. I WILL refrain from iced coffee/espresso, etc. after 11am each day (tea is ok).
  6. Finally, you may see me off-road a tiny bit. I know, that might seem counterintuitive BUT, I don't have a problem with compliance, I know exactly what my off-roading gets me, and I need to believe I'm actually living my life and not finishing up one more plan before life starts. If I do the math and decide a glass of wine with friends, or the odd red potato or spec of sugar is worth it, I will do it (I'll code it in red for you guys). I will not drink alone at home, however. really. I will not.

Aside: I think I'll skip logging my workouts here. trust me when I tell you I workout a lot (probably slightly too much) and it's super balanced with a variety of activities and I love it and it's really fun.

ok. Here I go.

*mind changed about this. selenium, I can get from fish, shellfish, etc. don't really want the Omega 6s from these nuts.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DAY 1

Pre-WO. 1 teaspoon of coconut butter, measured.

meal #1. iced espresso. cultured carrots, sweet potato cubes, steamed broccoli, red bell pepper. 1 HB egg, leftover crock-pot chicken.

meal #2. steamed baby boc choi & mushrooms topped w/cilantro, scallions, ginger, coconut aminos. roasted salmon

meal #3. salad of cucumber, cherry tomato, cilantro, lemon lime juice, red onion. steamed mushrooms, kale and onions. grass-fed ground beef & lamb, sauteed with coconut milk and rogan josh seasoning. heated this up with a laddle-full of chicken bone broth.

Thoughts on day 1: wow this is a large quantity of food! It feels bigger and also lighter, although I suspect I will have to do a little more tweaking on fat content....I felt the salmon fatty enough (and the portion HUGE enough) to go without more added fat at lunch, but felt a little hungry at various points during the day (not hungry enough to veer from my plan, however). Got myself an iced unsweetened green tea instead of having cold press after lunch like I've been doing.

gold star. :)

Cultured carrots?

manly_fancy_carrot_with_a_moustache_and_top_hat_speckcase-p176039270176688080bhar2_400.jpg

I like the sound of your plan, I too am trying to incorporate some of the PP fat-loss plan tips in to my post W30 life. I looked up that fermented cod liver oil/butter blend, holy crapola the price of it!

Best of luck going fwd Mary, I'm glad you won't be posting your workouts any more, they make me feel puny ;):lol:

DAY 2

Pre-WO. 1 HB egg

meal #1. iced espresso. cultured carrots, sweet potato cubes, steamed broccoli, cherry tomatoes, blueberries.* roasted chicken breast.

meal #2. salad of celery, red bell pepper, cucumber, red onion, cilantro, capers, 1/2 avocado, mashed. lime juice, tuna.

meal #3. steamed mushrooms, kale and onions. grass-fed ground beef & lamb, sauteed with coconut milk and rogan josh seasoning. will heat this up with a laddle-full of chicken bone broth and serve over steamed, mashed cauliflower.

*I realized I never made a rule about fruit! I will have some, not a lot, but some--about 1/4 cup in this case--I'll try to avoid my beloved banana in favor of berries more often, and I won't count fruit toward my minimum veggie totals.

Today was fine. A little headache again, off and on, but nothing major. Not sure if this is because of food changes or caffeine changes. Had iced unsweetened green tea again after lunch. Not sure what to do about the blueberries. Ideally I would spread them out in small portions over a long period, but it's kind of a big package and I'm not sure they'll keep. Might have to bring them in to the office to share. Anyway, they tasted good.

DAY 3

Pre-WO. small handfull macadamia nuts (about 1/4 cup)

meal #1. iced espresso. cultured carrots, sweet potato cubes, steamed broccoli, cherry tomatoes, roasted chicken breast, 1 hard boiled egg.

meal #2. steamed broccoli and spinach, red bell pepper, 1/4 cup green spring peas (scandal! ;) ), shrimp w/sauce of coconut milk, green curry paste, fish sauce (red boat), chicken bone broth, lime juice. green curry is just not the same without peas.

meal #3. steamed swiss chard, mushrooms, andoille sausage, over steamed mashed cauliflower

Today went pretty well. I woke up with a headache, yes, but it didn't come and go all day long today (I even skipped the green tea). My workout was particularly awesome and so was lunch! it's funny because I'm sure these meals look pretty similar to what I've had in previous whole30s, and they are, it's just that proportions are different now: a lot more veg and a little more protein, less fat. (I do think I'm still getting enough fat, it's just less than I've been having....just testing a small change...30 days :)). The other invisible change I've made is how I prep my food. Previously, I would come home from work starving and quickly try to make something. Now I'm prepping food for the whole day the night before, so when I get home I can eat a portion of food that is ready and balanced. This is working for me. yay. onward.

DAY 4

Pre-WO. HB egg

meal #1. iced espresso. cultured carrots, sweet potato cubes, steamed broccoli, cherry tomatoes, roasted chicken breast, HB egg

meal #2. steamed savoy cabbage, red bell pepper, carrot, red onion w/coconut aminos, cilantro, scallions and ume plum vinegar. slow-cooker pork.

meal #3. celery, red onion, red bell pepper, scallions, lemon juice, sardines (water packed), 1/2 avocado, mashed.

Ok then, took some natural calm last night, woke up without a headache. YES!

DAY 5

(no am workout)

meal #1. iced espresso, cultured carrots, steamed broccoli, cherry tomatoes, blueberries, roasted chicken breast, HB egg

meal #2. mixed green salad with fennel, capers, red onion, steak, 1/2 avocado. dressed with ume plum vinegar.

meal #3. zoodles with sauce of tomatoes, mushrooms, onion, garlic, slow-cooker pork.

Stressfull night, woke up late with a headache. :( Doing the BOD POD tonight, kind of dreading it, but my KB coach lines this up once every six months, and, well, if I don't do it now, I won't have data to compare for the next time. might as well get started (and yes, I know it is an imperfect test, although better than anything else I have access to, so yeah.)

Escaped the BOD POD unscathed, but as yet still too chicken to look at the results. :wacko::blink:

DAY 6

Pre-WO. HB egg

meal #1. iced espresso, cultured carrots, steamed broccoli, cherry tomatoes, roasted sweet potato cubes, roasted chicken breast

meal #2. mixed green salad with fennel, capers, red onion, steak (smaller portion), HB egg, 1/2 avocado. dressed with ume plum vinegar.

meal #3. slow-cooker pork. steamed savoy cabbage with onions, apple, carraway seed, braised in chicken bone broth/splash of apple cider vinegar.

Looked at the BOD POD results and had a good cry. I have to say it really pisses me off to work this hard and get this kind of result: basically, "ALERT! You are too fat! Contact your health professional!!" It's gotta be a little more nuanced and complex than that, right? (and besides, my Dr. hasn't a clue how to fix this) Anyway. I did some calculations and found out what "normal" weight should be if I maintain my lean body mass, which bought me 10-15 more total pounds than I would get aiming for "normal" using BMI, so that's somewhat useful information, possibly.

onward.

Lucky there's a helluva lot more to you than that number, right?

:)

But I also feel your pain. I am starting an 8 week challenge on another forum on Monday, so today I took my measurements & stas and pics. Including one bikini shot, from the back, yoikes!! Definitely not my best aspect!

Was this the kind of calculator you used?

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ibw/

As you say onward, this is one moment in time, and if we keep working on our health, everything will fall in to place.

Have a look at info/reviews of The Paleo Coach by Jason Seib, it's out in a couple of weeks, I think you'd dig it.

Lucky there's a helluva lot more to you than that number, right?

:)

Yeah, I'm super lucky :P , I know that. Thanks Derval.

Yes, that was basically my calculation (except I made my own spreadsheet and formulas in xcel...I am such a nerd :blink: )

Good luck with your challenge, you are so much further along than me, and I know you will do great! I'll check out that book too (love me some research).

DAY 7

PreWO. HB egg

meal #1. iced espresso. 2 HB eggs, 2 pieces gourmet grassfed jerkey, cultured beets, red bell pepper slices, cherry tomatoes, sweet potato cubes, steamed broccoli

meal #2. salad of baby greens, cucumber, cherry tomato, red onion, dressed w/ume plum vinegar, avocado, grass-fed beef burger.

meal #3. baby boc choi, mushrooms, carrot, garlic, ginger, braised in a little chicken bone broth topped w/cilantro, coconut aminos, scallions. slow-cooker pork.

DAY 8

PreWO. teaspoon of coconut butter

meal #1. iced espresso. steamed broccoli, cherry tomatoes, roasted sweet potato cubes, cultured carrots, 1 HB egg, roasted chicken breast.

meal #2. cucumber, red bell pepper, red onion, cilantro, capers, black olives. tuna.

meal #3. steamed asparagus, cherry tomatoes, (1/2) avocado, dijon mustard. grass fed beef burger.

plan for DAY 9

PreWO. (1) HB egg

meal #1. iced espresso. steamed broccoli, cherry tomatoes, roasted sweet potato cubes, blueberries, cultured carrots, london broil

meal #2. red cabbage, onions and apples, braised in chicken bone broth. meatballs (lamb, beef, onion, garlic, egg)

meal #3. broccoli and asparagus, red bell pepper, 1/4 cup green spring peas, shrimp, w/sauce of coconut milk, green curry paste, fish sauce (red boat), topped w/cilantro.

Did you make the lamb-beef meatballs from Johnny's site? I just copied down that recipe today; it looks good.

hmm, nope, but I did see that so maybe he inspired me a little. I make these a lot (I just improvise on a basic formula), although this time I left out my usual spices (cumin, etc) so they would be more versatile with different veggie options....was hoping to pulverize some lamb liver and add that in too, but my butcher was out. :( who would have ever thought I would make a sad face for no liver! :blink:

DAY 10

PreWO. (1) HB egg

meal #1. iced espresso. steamed broccoli, cherry tomatoes, roasted sweet potato cubes, blueberries, cultured carrots, london broil

meal #2. red cabbage, onions and apples, braised in chicken bone broth. meatballs (lamb, beef, onion, garlic, egg)

meal #3. blueberries, not snacking normally, but wanted something while co-workers had cupcakes.

meal #4. zoodles with red sauce (tomatoes, onion, garlic, italian spices) and MORE meatballs

I feel like the blueberries made me hungry in the afternoon. better off not snacking.

DAY 11

(no AM workout)

meal #1. espresso. (3) eggs poached in swiss chard, tomato sauce (leftovers)

meal #2. baby boc choi, mushrooms, carrot, steamed w/ginger, scallions, cilantro, coconut aminos. the last of the meatballs.

meal #3. (3) MORE eggs, scrambled with lots of spinach, cherry tomatoes, a few thin slices london broil. topped w/(1/2) avocado.

Dinner was cooked and eaten in haste while hungry postWO w/trainer. not my finest hour this whole30.

DAY 12

PreWO. (1) HB egg

meal #1. iced espresso. steamed broccoli, cherry tomatoes, roasted sweet potato cubes, cultured carrots, london broil

meal #2. salad of baby greens, fennel, cucumber, cherry tomato, capers. dressed w/ume plum vinegar. roasted salmon.

meal #3. swiss chard/cauliflower mash, practical palso slow cooker short ribs. nope. was going to start these this morning to be ready after work, but they only need 4-6 hours. will figure out some other protein and do them for later. hmmm, maybe sausages for a bangers and mash? yup. had 1.5 chicken sausages with this mash (would have had more but not hungry in the slightest...weirdly put a plate half-filled with food into the fridge to eat later if needed, but nope. not hungry....WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME?

Archived