whole30 supercharged...kinda

missmary

DAY 13

PreWO. (1) HB egg

meal #1. iced espresso. steamed broccoli, cherry tomatoes, roasted sweet potato cubes, cultured carrots. 2 more HB eggs, 1/2 of a chicken sausage

meal #2. salad of cucumber, cherry tomatoes, red onion, avocado, dressed w/ume plum vinegar. grass-fed beef sliders

meal #3. cauliflower mash, roasted mushrooms, and practical paleo slow cooker short ribs (this has a tomatoey sauce, of which I strained off a bunch of the fat...nearly broke my heart ;) but it's still pretty fatty, and I think this was best for my current goals. dang goals!)

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DAY 14

meal #1. espresso, leftover caulflower mash/steamed chard mix with (1) chicken sausage, topped with a fried egg. cultured beets.

meal #2. OUT-Oxtail Hash (Oxtail+assortment of root veggies: beets, parsnips, carrots,...maybe potato?) w/(2) poached eggs. topped with hollandaise (probably contained non-clarified butter).

meal #3. cauliflower mash, roasted mushrooms, and practical paleo slow cooker short ribs (this has a tomatoey sauce)

-well, I guess my long day wore me out yesterday. woke up too late for my usual Sunday morning yoga class. I'll still get a workout in this morning, then brunch with a friend. My first dining out experience on this whole30! EDIT: I opted for something close to compliant, that seemed interesting...I could have gotten the steak and eggs or the poached eggs/spinach/fruit option, and been 100%, but...see rule #6. ;) I did have them hold the english muffin and I didn't have any of the french toast my friend wanted to share. duh.

DAY 15

PreWO. (1) HB egg

meal #1. iced espresso. steamed broccoli, cherry tomatoes, roasted sweet potato cubes, cultured carrots. london broil.

meal #2. salad of baby greens, steamed green beans, fennel, red bell pepper, red onion, capers, dressed w/ume plum vinegar. (1/2) avocado. tuna.

meal #3. the last of the cauliflower mash, roasted mushrooms, and practical paleo slow cooker short ribs + a tiny carrot.

happy hump day to me!

DAY 16

preWO. (1) HB egg

meal #1. iced espresso. steamed broccoli and green beans, cherry tomatoes, roasted sweet potato cubes, cultured carrots. london broil.

meal #2. spinach, red bell pepper, red onion, steam sauteed. grass-fed beef sliders. a sad 100 calorie pack of guac (technically compliant, but...wondering why this is lurking in my fridge and since when)

meal #3. mushrooms and onions, steam sauteed (+ a little ghee) with lamb liver and a left-over slider...wished for ketchup like the liver and onions we used to have as kids, but it IS a lot nicer than beef liver, at least. next time I'm hiding this in meatballs!

DAY 17

PreWO. (1) HB egg

meal #1. iced espresso. steamed broccoli, cherry tomatoes, roasted sweet potato cubes, cultured carrots. london broil.

meal #2. cabbage, carrot, red bell pepper, steam sauteed w/cilantro, scallions, fish sauce (red boat), coconut aminos, coconut vinegar. slow cooker pork.

meal #3. zoodles with red sauce (tomatoes, onion, garlic, italian spices) and chicken sausage chicken sausage was slimy and smelled odd. no thank you. went with green curry shrimp: zuchinni, mushrooms, red bell pepper, onion, garlic, broccoli, green spring peas, cilantro. shrimp. sauce of coconut milk, fish sauce, green curry paste.

ok. watch this space for the exact same menu tomorrow. all three meals, exactly exactly the same. It is not a typo.

Hey there - questions time! 1- do you have a good recipe for meatballs with liver? I have it in my fridge, but only know either fry it with bacon and onions or make pate methods. 2- I saw ume plum vinegar in my organic store and thought about you. What does it taste like? Do you use it just for salad dressing? I know I can google all this but...

Hey there - questions time! 1- do you have a good recipe for meatballs with liver? I have it in my fridge, but only know either fry it with bacon and onions or make pate methods. 2- I saw ume plum vinegar in my organic store and thought about you. What does it taste like? Do you use it just for salad dressing? I know I can google all this but...

Yay! question time. On the liver, I was planning to puree it in the food processor and just add it to my regular meatballs. AND my regular meatballs are kind of different each time, ie. take about a pound of ground meat (usually lamb or beef or a combination, sometimes turkey too), mix with one egg, one small onion, chopped fine, maybe garlic, maybe parsley or cilanto, maybe cumin, etc. lately adding a teaspoon or so of fish sauce. Make small balls. bake for a while (around 20 minutes? around 350F?). that's it.

ume plum vinegar is the kind I happened to bring to the office once, so that's what I use if I'm dressing a salad there. I used to make a dressing with this+olive oil, but lately just sprinkle it on. It's very very salty, which I like, but might be an aquired taste? anyway, I like it and the "ume plums" (not really plums) but anyway the fruit is fermented so it has some beneficial cultures, etc.

That's the beauty of meatballs, just add whatever spices you have and you're good. I love adding fish sauce, carrots, mushrooms (haven't seen them in any of your meals, so there must be a good reason for that I assume) and sundried tomatoes. I think that Czech Meatballs will go well with liver added. Maybe not. I'll try :)

Ume plum - sold. Sounds good, I love vinegars and salty stuff. Have you ever tried it for cooking? Can't wait to pick one up.

Thanks!

fish sauce, carrots, mushrooms (haven't seen them in any of your meals, so there must be a good reason for that I assume)

is this the confused face? :huh: ? lol. I eat these three, a lot, although I must say I liked mushrooms a bit more the way I used to cook them (in a lot of fat. mmmmm, fat...nom :rolleyes: .)

DAY 18

PreWO. (1) HB egg

meal #2. cabbage, carrot, red bell pepper, steam sauteed w/cilantro, scallions, fish sauce (red boat), coconut aminos, ume plum vinegar. slow cooker pork.

meal #3. green curry shrimp: zuchinni, mushrooms, red bell pepper, onion, garlic, broccoli, green spring peas, cilantro. shrimp. sauce of coconut milk, fish sauce, green curry paste.

All three of these will be consumed at the office while I wrap up a deadline. I might get really crazy and swap meals 2 and 3.

*@&!!!

grrr. taking a break from regular programming to vent: got into it with an unsolicited advice giver (repeat offender) at the gym this morning. I finally told him that I'm working with a trainer and I would rather not have his advice and he got super offended. He claims that he "loves it" when other people come up to him and help correct his form or give him tips. Maybe, but nobody does this. I have never seen a single dude in the gym giving advice to any other dudes unless they are actively working out together. Am I wrong to find it patronizing and offensive when they do it to me? :angry:

Never in all my years of going to gym has a total stranger tried to "correct my form"....I'd agree with the coworkers, dude was trying to hit on you! not likely to try that again soon.

Note to the men of my gym: if you want me to like you, maybe try complementing instead of correcting. :blink:

DAY 19

(no am workout)

meal #1. iced espresso. steamed broccoli, cherry tomatoes, red bell pepper strips, cultured carrots. the last bit of london broil, (2) HB eggs.

meal #2. salad of baby greens, fennel, cucumber, red onion, capers, dressed w/ume plum vinegar. skirt steak. 1/2 avocado.

meal #3. zoodles and tomato sauce w/lamb meat balls (ground lamb, lamb liver, egg, onion, garlic, spices of some sort).

YES! I like lamb liver a lot more in meatball form, although I forgot the fish sauce, and I think it would have helped.

DAY 20

preWO. HB egg

meal #1. iced espresso. steamed broccoli, cherry tomatoes, roasted sweet potato cubes, cultured carrots. flank steak.

meal #2. cabbage, red bell pepper, red onion (steam sauteed), slow cooker pork.

meal #3. red lobster (my family loves this place)....maybe snow crab legs? or grilled fish. probably both broccoli and asparagus, no sauces, etc. it should be fine. after this, I'm going to a party where I might eat some bits of food if there is something compliant/interesting, and I might have a cocktail or or a glass of wine. maybe.

Had snow crab legs with butter + broccoli. Had one cocktail, some octopus ceviche, and loads of kombucha at the party.

Archived