whole30 supercharged...kinda

missmary

I don't want to sound all stalker, but I had insomnia last night and ended up reading your log from the very first post.

Thanks Gojo. not stalker at all! Sometimes it's weird to realize so much of my thoughts and life is out here on the internet to read, but I'm ok with it, I guess. I'm actually kind of proud of what I've accomplished...still a work in progress, always, but forward movement for sure. If you were able to get hope or inspiration or even just entertainment from my log  :P , so much the better.  :)

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely entertaining! (Perhaps a little too much so, seeing as it was 1am...)

But mainly just a stark reminder to myself that sh*t takes time - it won't happen over night, or even in 4 weeks, or maybe even in 6 months, but if you stick at it, you'll be a hell of a lot closer after that time than if you'd done nothing. Whatever it is, not even just body stuff - no-one expects to master a new language in a month, yet they think they'll drop 10kg, completely clear up all traces of ill health AND deadlift their own weight in that time? Ease up on yourselves people (ie. me :) )!

• 2 weeks later...

So many good things today, I'm wondering if I should watch my back. Faith in humanity restored x 4:

1. After much stress trying to figure out how I could do two full-time projects at once (again), I gently suggested to my boss that she might try to push the schedule of one so I wouldn't have two deadlines on the same day (again) a week from Friday. I'm not sure how she could possibly not know she was double-booking me that way (she is the partner in charge of both of these projects!) but somehow as soon as I sent the email, project #2 was re-assigned. so good.

The rest are more minor, but still good!

2. Leaving the co-op on my way home, saw out the window that some dude was messing with my bike. stopped short only to watch him figure out how to turn off my tail-light, turn it off and walk away. 

3. Walked same bike into a bike shop to get the air in my tires topped off and literally watched the guy who did it contemplate lecturing me about not riding on low tires (I could see it on his face, considering it) but instead filled them up for me and wished me a nice day.

4. Made one more stop on the way home to pick up a bracelet I was having altered and when one of the shop owners saw me fussing with it (there were some new flaws in the leather band, but not enough that I wanted to say something), offered to pack it in tissue, went in the back and had a whispered conversation with the other owner, came back and told me they didn't think it was good enough and they would have the designer re-make the band.

Feeling awesome. Nice progress in Capoeira, 1-leg Squats (I alternate pistol and shrimp) and L-sits on the P-bars (my gym has P-bars now!). Delicious and super fast dinner of sausage, sautéed with pre-steamed green beans and carrots, wilted power greens, ume plum vinegar and a dollop of coconut oil mayo. surprise appointment with Max on Sunday.

happy.

• 2 weeks later...

ok people, filled with resolve, so I have to make this public: happy days like the one above have been too few lately and it's time to start practicing what I preach. Here are my August resolutions, starting now because why not:

-fish at least 4 times per week.

-liver at least 1 time per week (slacking on this lately).

-no more caffeine after 11am.

-adding in more carbs, thinking at least 30-50 grams more per day than I've been getting (one cup sweet potato or 2 cups green beans sort of thing) + one serving of in-season fruit. It's summer (!) I'll try to do this mostly at meal #3 (really skimping on this lately too, and having ketosis symptoms as a result. disturbing).

-most importantly: I'm really going to push this "don't be hungry" thing and eat as much of the good stuff as it takes. even if it freaks me out a little. I'm going to trust my body.

oh and I'm going to chill a little on the dating. Too much time spent lately trying to be enthusiastic about a guy I was just lukewarm about. That's not fair to him or to me. Maybe this means I'll be alone forever, who knows, but I would rather be alone and authentic, so I ended it...and then I went to the gym to work on some really challenging stuff Max wants me to work on and I saw that cute guy who used to stretch near me all the time in the mornings but hasn't been there in a while and I smiled and said "hi" and he looked really surprised and then smiled and said "hi" back. I think I am going to be ok.

I'll be recording food here for a bit, not sure if it will be 100% whole30, so I won't make a new log for this one, just tracking so I can see patterns in my eating and make sure I stay on track.

• Moderators

MM I hear you on the dating front. I've been trying so hard, making such an effort, and just decided to stop. Don't try, just be, that's what I've told myself. Variation of "authentic."

You are going to be ok.

I bought umeboshi vinegar for the first time today and thought of you. Great stuff!

I have always admired the way you hit pause, reassess, regroup, and slightly reroute with wisdom and knowingness about your own body. I cannot tell you how often the experiences you've shared here inspire me to stay the course and blaze my own w30 trail regardless of obstacle.

Here's to a terrific August!

Plan for Day One; 7-28

Meal #1: HB egg, espresso.

WO #1: isometrics/skills

Meal #2: Turkey/Chicken meatballs (cilantro, scallion, sesame oil), red and yellow bell pepper, steamed green beans. more espresso, and some cold press but none after 11am!

Meal #3: Banana w/Almond Butter Packet

Meal #4: Salmon, (2) HB eggs, roasted beets, green beans, cultured carrots, grape tomatoes, baby greens, chimichuri dressing (olive oil, red wine vinegar, parsley, cilantro, garlic), 1/2 avocado.

WO #2: (bike there and back, about 4 miles) Capoeira 

Meal #5: Lamb/Lamb Liver meatballs Didn't feel like it, so the last two applegate hotdogs and a couple Turkey/Chicken Meatballs, roasted sweet potato, power greens (kale, chard, etc.), CO mayo. 1 cup berries (blueberries and raspberries). COULD. NOT. EAT. ANY. MORE.

ok friends, two issues: I think meal #1 2 is not holding me because it is too low in fat. AND, I think I need to figure out a post-WO snack I can have at the gym. I have NEVER been good at taking in post-WO food. Maybe a few of the meatballs would work though? Trying that tomorrow.

Curious: what makes you think the prob is not enough fat rather than not enough food period? Would 2 hb eggs, for example, solve the prob?

Ah, actually I meant meal #2...the single HB egg is about all I can do pre-WO (tummy troubles otherwise), and it's fine. It's during that stretch between "breakfast" and lunch that I struggle.

ok friends, two issues: I think meal #1 2 is not holding me because it is too low in fat. AND, I think I need to figure out a post-WO snack I can have at the gym. I have NEVER been good at taking in post-WO food. Maybe a few of the meatballs would work though? Trying that tomorrow.

I have personally struggled with post workout food as well. Honestly it is hard for me to eat after I work out. During my last whole 30 I was buying free range organic egg whites and scrambling that with pureed sweet potato. In post W30 world I'm honestly just doing whey protein shakes most of the time because they are easy. I found a really clean one that I like and my body seems to process it just fine. I'm pushing myself way to hard right now to skip this because I don't want to eat. 

Is it ok that I just wrote that with this moderator badge under my photo?  :ph34r:

Is it ok that I just wrote that with this moderator badge under my photo?  :ph34r:

LOL! I hear you sister. It's hard to eat right after a workout. It was actually protein powder on my mind when I said I might not be compliant, but I know that vegan protein I used to have wasn't good for me, and I generally don't do well with dairy at all...it's hard to know but I am determined to tweak this. n=1.

LOL! I hear you sister. It's hard to eat right after a workout. It was actually protein powder on my mind when I said I might not be compliant, but I know that vegan protein I used to have wasn't good for me, and I generally don't do well with dairy at all...it's hard to know but I am determined to tweak this. n=1.

There is that cricket powder that Whole9 has posted about if you are willing to try it...I wasn't. ;) Or egg white protein powder though I suppose if you have the stomach for it you can just mix the egg whites straight into your shake. Clean egg white protein seems to be harder to find. If you lived closer I'd totally let you try the one I'm using. 

If you lived closer I'd totally let you try the one I'm using. 

Thanks Bethany! That's super sweet of you. I'm going to try the chicken balls next. Sounds delish (not), but they were ok.

hmm, having vague memories of when I tried a chicken/sweet potato patty thing. I wonder why I stopped doing that?

Thanks Bethany! That's super sweet of you. I'm going to try the chicken balls next. Sounds delish (not), but they were ok.

hmm, having vague memories of when I tried a chicken/sweet potato patty thing. I wonder why I stopped doing that?

Chicken sweet potato patty sounds intriguing. I've not been able to choke down chicken breast without fat but that might work. Let me know how it goes. Always happy to mix it up.

Plan for Day Two; 7-29 That rare and wondrous thing where I actually eat breakfast at home within an hour of waking. Taking the morning off to take a master yoga class from my guru's guru (I think he's based out of Chicago?)

Meal #1: 4 eggs, sweet potato, kale, guac., espresso. ugh. ate about 2/3rds of this and not hungry at all anymore. remaining food went in the fridge so I can digest before class.

WO: Yoga Master Class (no clue if this will be hard work or lots of talking/listening)

PostWO: 3 Turkey/Chicken meatballs

Meal #2: Salmon, fennel, cultured carrots, grape tomatoes, baby greens, lemon juice, olive oil, 1/2 avocado.

Meal #3: first finished breakfast, then: Lamb/Lamb Liver meatballs w/tomato sauce, mushrooms, onions roasted carrots. Peach.

OK, already learning, day 2. It appears that the difference between being hungry all the time and feeling stuffed is a pretty small amount of food, relatively speaking. No caffeine after 11am was HARD yesterday, but I slept better last night (although I had some anxiety in the night, which I remember only because I told myself "make sure you write in your log about the anxiety." lol).

yoga workshop was intense/amazing and about 1/2 hour longer than advertised  :blink: . I did NOT have that terrible ammonia in the sinuses (ketosis?) that I've been having during intense early morning yoga, which I attribute to better fueling. Scarfed three chicken balls on the mad dash back to work, then the giant salad. Feeling good/tired.

I'm realizing that I already know how to fuel better, because i used to do it! Whatever happened to those sweet potato cubes in the morning, or the chicken/sweet potato patty or those turkey blueberry meatballs? I guess i just got lazy. I'll get it dialed in.

Plan for Day Three; 7-30 

PreWO: HB egg, peach, espresso.

WO #1: Vinyasa Yoga

PostWO: 3 Turkey/Chicken Meatballs.

Meal #1: 5 Turkey/Chicken Meatballs, Red and Orange Bell Pepper, Broccoli, a little guac for fat, more espresso.

Meal #2: 1/2 of a Giant Salad of Tuna, Baby Greens, steamed Green Beans, New Potatoes, 2 HB eggs, fennel, capers, black olives, grape tomatoes, 1/2 avocado, herby vinaigrette. (just realized fish at lunch each weekday-save one-will meet my goal. I love these salads so much I might just go for 5 out of 5)

Meal #3 (4pm): The other 1/2 of the giant salad. 

WO #2: (bike there and back: 4 miles) Capoeira

Meal #3: Liver/Lamb Liver meatballs with tomato/carrot/onion/mushroom sauce, finished with some olive oil for fat and flavor Came home to discover the sauce sat on the stove in my warm kitchen for the last 24 hours. oops. one portion Turkey/Chicken meatballs left in the fridge, sweet potato, cherry tomatoes.

Day 2 went well, except for hunger in the afternoon...made it to about 4:30? then was hungry to the point of being ravenous when I finally got home. Finished my breakfast then cooked and ate a smaller portion of dinner. Not sure how to address this, considering I was pretty much stuffed to the gills at both breakfast and lunch. No way could I have eaten more then. Plenty of fat and protein. Maybe those new potatoes will help?

-trouble sleeping last night, which I think was due to getting hungry around midnight. Woke up easily, though. Should have gotten up and eaten something in the night, but instead waited until morning where I added a peach to pre-WO. I know, not the sanctioned path but:

1. they were perfectly ripe and I'm not sure when I would have eaten it otherwise (there's one more). I hate to waste them.

2. I don't want to be a person afraid to each a perfectly ripe peach when I want one, even if carb timing is not optimal.

I was a little weak/dizzy in yoga, but better than some days in the last couple weeks (none of that ketosis smell at least). My teacher said she was impressed that I made it after how hard we worked yesterday (she was at the workshop with me). It hadn't even occurred to me that I might skip it. Feeling my abs this morning.  :o . Ok, fueling still needs work. Ate my 3 meatballs sitting in the sauna post-yoga/pre-shower, but now I'm not wanting my meal #1 meatballs...I will eat them anyway. 

• Moderators

I had the same peach experience this morning. You gotta eat those beauties when they're perfect. It only happens once a year. Aren't they gorgeous?

It would get so boring being optimal all the time, wouldn't it?;)

• Moderators

Day 2 went well, except for hunger in the afternoon...made it to about 4:30? then was hungry to the point of being ravenous when I finally got home. Finished my breakfast then cooked and ate a smaller portion of dinner. Not sure how to address this, considering I was pretty much stuffed to the gills at both breakfast and lunch. No way could I have eaten more then. Plenty of fat and protein. Maybe those new potatoes will help?

When is your bike ride and capoeira? Would adding another pre-WO hb egg before that help? Then follow it with dinner? I'm just guessing on the timing here.

Archived