whole30 supercharged...kinda

missmary

When is your bike ride and capoeira? Would adding another pre-WO hb egg before that help? Then follow it with dinner? I'm just guessing on the timing here.

Capoeira is from 6:30-7:30, bike ride is about 20 minutes, so I could eat a preWO around 6pm. I've got 3 extra chicken balls with me today, so I'll give that a try. Thanks!

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. they were perfectly ripe and I'm not sure when I would have eaten it otherwise (there's one more). I hate to waste them.

2. I don't want to be a person afraid to each a perfectly ripe peach when I want one, even if carb timing is not optimal.

Each your peach :D That's all I've got to say. 

This appetite thing is weird and perplexing. -couldn't finish my salad at lunch (it WAS giant), so had about 1/2 at noon and the other 1/2 at 4:30. Worked fine, I guess. Maybe I should just plan for 4 meals on Capoeira days knowing dinner is so late?

Plan for Day Four; 7-31 

Meal #1: (3) HB egg, bell peppers, broccoli, peach  ;) , espresso.

RECOVERY: foam rolling, sauna, hot tub, cold shower, repeat.

more espresso and (3) Turkey/Chicken balls when I got to the office.

Meal #2: Giant Salad of Tuna, Baby Greens, steamed Green Beans, New Potatoes, 1 HB egg, fennel, black olives, grape tomatoes, 1/2 avocado, olive oil, failed to bring either of these. ume plum vinegar.

Meal #3: not sure, since leaving that pan of food out I have less to pick from...will shop on the way home. Comfortably hungry starting around 5pm. quick and easy dinner of Applegate Hotdogs (2), cucumber/tomato/parsley salad (w/olive oil/lemon juice), 1/2 avocado, sweet potato cubes.

Getting a better groove on this, maybe? Slept fine. Woke up hungry, but not until 5:45. I consider that a win.

I'm starting to realize that on my double days a couple of smaller meals in the evening are much better for me than one large one. I think it is cool that in this point of the journey you can better trust those hunger signals as well. Looks like you are doing a fabulous job of listening to and fueling your body.

Your recovery sounds lovely. I think I need to find some time to sit in the therapy pool or hot tub today and/or tomorrow before my training this weekend. 

• Moderators

I feel like sometimes there's no explaining my hunger and how it may shift from day to day. I second Bethany's comment about trusting the hunger signals. And preparedness counts for A LOT. Just being able to roll with it and take care of yourself is pretty wonderful.

Plan for Day Five; 8-01 

proWO: HB egg, espresso

WO #1: Isometrics/Skills

post-WO: (3) Turkey/Blueberry balls --these ended up a bit bigger than the Turkey/Chicken ones.

Meal #1: (3) Turkey/Blueberry balls, red and yellow bell pepper, broccoli, espresso.

Meal #2: Giant Salad of Baby Greens, cucumber/tomato/parsley/red onion, 1/2 avocado, flank steak, (1) HB egg. w/olive oil/lemon juice.

WO#2: skipping out of work early to try this "Capoeira, a female perspective" class. This teacher has subbed my regular class one time: so I know her approach has more of a dance sort of aspect to it. Have to leave the office at 4:30 to make it, so I'm not thinking I need the afternoon meal...we will find out tomorrow. :) bike there and back.

Meal #3: lamb burger, sweet potatoes, more of the cucumber/tomato/parsley/red onion mixture (no baby greens this time), olive oil and lemon.

Plan for Day Six; 8-02

Meal #1: Composed salad of the only veg left in the fridge (roasted beets, massaged power greens, avocado), 2 HB eggs, 3 Turkey/Blueberry balls. espresso.

WO: Vinyasa Yoga

Meal #2: Lamb Patty, Sweet potato cubes, cherry tomatoes.

Meal #3: Pulled Roasted Chicken, Asian Slaw (cabbage, carrot, red onion, jalapeño, ume plum vinegar, red boat fish sauce, olive oil) , Watermelon

The first work week of this whole30 is complete, and I think it went great. Here's what I learned:

1. I'm pretty sure fat has been pushing good carbs off my plate, and things are getting back in balance now. Really going to try to have mayo as an occasional food, not a slather on everything food.

2. Finally figured out that if I want to take salad for lunch I should fill my 2-cup lunch container with the "stuff" and carry the greens separately (in the past I tried to make salads fit in the 2-cup thing. greens just take up too much space AND separating them keeps the heavy/wet things from ruining the greens)...ok, so I went overboard some days, but too much salad is a better problem to have than not enough.

3. Bringing a can of wild planet tuna or salmon just makes lunch seem so much easier.

4. I can stomach some sort of ground meat ball post-WO, the simpler the better (i.e. instead of using Summer Innanen's recipe for the turkey/blueberry ones, I just tossed the blueberries in a T of coconut flour, mixed an egg and salt into the turkey and folded the two together. no coconut milk, no spices, no onion.). now to come up with one that incorporates some sweet potato....

5. Several ripe avocados, purchased on the weekend will last nicely in the fridge till Friday. Critical, because the co-op can't seem to stock decent avocados and Whole Foods is not convenient during the week. I think avocado is a better fat choice for me, considering the addictive properties of coconut oil mayo... :ph34r:

6. Thursday rest day is a very good idea. 

onward.

Oh and the new Capoeira class went well, although the teacher was a bit confused about me, because some things, considered to be pretty easy (synchronizing movement of various limbs, basically walking but in time to music, etc), I struggle with, but other things considered to be hard (like lifting up onto fingertips while holding tripod headstand) I can do. I am a STRONG, awkward, uncoordinated person  :wacko: . I'll get better though.

• Moderators

Excellent solution to the transportable salad issue. When I'm home I eat a mixing bowl full of greens. Bringing that to work never seemed possible, but separate greens? Brill.

Michelle Tam has a meatball recipe that simply includes finely chopped raw sweet potato with the ground meat mix. You could simply do that if you wanted with whatever you're working with now.

I've pushed starchy carbs off my plate, too, and I think it's causing blood sugar probs. no discernible ketosis for me, but mod crashes and dizziness. Always working on it, right?

Capoeira must be so cool!

Thanks for the comments D and M. Yeah, I think too low carb causes mood issues for me too, since my mood has been better these 6 days...something is working.

Capoeira must be so cool!

It is! It's kind of crazy (next step in headstand is to lift both hands off the floor, then spin. insanity!), but a good challenge--I need to keep finding things that challenge and engage me. I think this one will have me going for a while.

It is! It's kind of crazy (next step in headstand is to lift both hands off the floor, then spin. insanity!), but a good challenge--I need to keep finding things that challenge and engage me. I think this one will have me going for a while.

That sounds like breakdancing to me. Crazy!

Great observations and a great first week! I have found large mason jars work really well for transporting salad greens. 

Plan for Day Seven; 8-03

Meal #1: Pulled Roasted Chicken, Asian Slaw (cabbage, carrot, red onion, jalapeño, ume plum vinegar, red boat fish sauce, olive oil), stir-fried this together in some coconut oil, fried an egg on top. espresso.

WO: Isometrics/Skills (including some extra work on Capoeira skills, I'm thinking) nope. can not handle more than an hour of this stuff without a break

PostWO: 4 Turkey/Blueberry Balls. more espresso.

Meal #2: Lamb Patty, Sweet potato cubes, cherry tomatoes.

Meal #3: Grass-fed Ground beef sautéed with shitakes, onions, power greens. cherries.

not really a WO: walk around a lake after dinner (six miles)

Yesterday went pretty well, until around 5pm when I got the news that my mother is sick. She sent an email to all of her kids with the subject line "Mom is Sick." Way to give us all a heart attack! I talked to her on the phone last night, and it seems she must have gotten lymes disease from a tick bite this spring (she was inexplicably sick during our trip to Montana, but we thought it was the flu at that time). The Drs have done a bunch of tests (waiting on results) but meanwhile put her on antibiotics which are supposed to help whether it is lyme or something else. I asked if she wanted nursing care from her daughter (they live an hour drive north of me) and she said no. I don't like it. I don't like it at all.

In other news, post-phone call, I learned that I can not digest watermelon. just as well.

• Moderators

Oh no! So sorry to hear about your mom. Lyme is nothing to mess around with. It requires a looooong course of antibiotics to get rid of the bug. Sounds like they caught it relatively early, so that's good. I hope she'll be willing to do probiotics in one way or another.

A sick parent is so stressful. Take good care of yourself, Mary.

So sorry to hear about your mom. I hope the doctors can confirm quickly and get her back on her feet. I echo LadyM to continue taking care of yourself. We are more helpful to others when we are at our best. Channel the stress into something productive. *long distance hugs*

Thanks B and M. She sounded in good spirits, and has good attentive doctors on the case, but my Dad is so not a caregiver, and that worries me a little. For the moment he is taking care of himself without complaint (cooked his own dinner a couple nights, even), but it would be nice if I could rely on him to pamper her a little.

Probiotics are a good idea, M. -tempted to run up there with a care package of bone broth and 'booch.

Wishing your mom a full & speedy as possible recovery.

My parents live in Spain and last month my dad fell off a ladder while fixing something on the roof! He's getting better now & is getting an ulstrasound tomorrow to check for damage to kidney/liver so fingers crossed. One happy bonus to this is that he hasn't had alcohol for 3 weeks now, which is a *big* deal. Hopefully he will keep off it now! Wish I could have been closer to give my mam support as  he's not as easy patient!!

Wishing your mom a full & speedy as possible recovery.

My parents live in Spain and last month my dad fell off a ladder while fixing something on the roof! He's getting better now & is getting an ulstrasound tomorrow to check for damage to kidney/liver so fingers crossed. One happy bonus to this is that he hasn't had alcohol for 3 weeks now, which is a *big* deal. Hopefully he will keep off it now! Wish I could have been closer to give my mam support as  he's not as easy patient!!

-liking the support and well wishes bit, not the dad falling off a ladder bit  :o  glad to hear he is on the mend.

Plan for Day Eight; 8-04

preWO: (1) HB egg, espresso

WO #1: Isometrics/Skills

postWO: (3) Turkey/Blueberry Balls

Meal #1: (3) Turkey/Blueberry Balls, (1) HB egg, steamed green beans, red and yellow bell pepper

Meal #2: Giant salad of baby greens, green beans, roasted beets, capers, red onion, cherry tomatoes, salmon. Ume plum vinegar and olive oil, (1) HB egg, 1/2 avocado

WO #2: (bike there and back, 4 miles) Capoeira 

Meal #3: Pulled Roasted Chicken, Asian Slaw (cabbage, carrot, red onion, jalapeño, ume plum vinegar, red boat fish sauce, olive oil), stir-fried this together in some coconut oil. cherries. left more than half of this. no room for cherries either.

Plan for Day Nine; 8-04

preWO: (1) HB egg, espresso

WO: Mobility/Stretching (thoracic series), 10 minute Sauna, 10 minute Hot Tub

postWO: (4) Turkey/Sweet Potato Balls (these ended up smaller than the blueberry ones)*

Meal #1: (4) Turkey/Sweet Potato Balls, (1) HB egg, steamed green beans, red and yellow bell pepper

Meal #2: Giant salad of baby greens, green beans, roasted beets, capers, red onion, cherry tomatoes, salmon. Ume plum vinegar and olive oil, (1) HB egg, 1/2 avocado

Meal #3: Pulled Roasted Chicken, Asian Slaw (cabbage, carrot, red onion, jalapeño, ume plum vinegar, red boat fish sauce, olive oil), stir-fried this together in some coconut oil. cherries. Actually served myself the last of this on day 8 but couldn't make a dent in it really, enough left over for one more meal.

Appetite is still strange but I'm rolling with it. I think that post-WO food must be doing a trick because in the recent past I've been ravenous by 10am and now I'm just not hungry until lunch. I like it!

*the Turkey/Sweet Potato Balls are kind of meh. I pureed the sp, next time I'll try cubes as suggested by LadyM.

Sorry about your Mom. They always think that they are in charge and won't take help. We are all kids as long as our parents live. I am sure that confidence that you are willing and ready to take care of her any minute is helping too. Sending good thoughts your way! 

That Capoeira video is insane. Speaking of which, did you get your white pants or not?  :P

That Capoeira video is insane. Speaking of which, did you get your white pants or not?  :P

I know, right? I have several pairs of white pants now  :ph34r: . First, light grey capris. no. Next, white yoga-type pants double no  :blink: . Finally, lululemon ones that are pretty good (the teacher at the "women's perspective" class even asked me where I got them) AND I'm on the pre-order list for a pair from Brazil with the logo of the place embroidered on them...covered. I also wear my black boys adidas (white stripes) to class a lot. Seems fitting because my sparing partner is a 10-year-old boy. We are perfectly matched.  :P

Archived