whole30 supercharged...kinda

missmary

Plan for Day Ten; 8-05

preWO: (1) HB egg, espresso

WO#1: Hot Vinyasa Yoga

postWO: (4) Turkey/Sweet Potato Balls

Meal #1: (4) Turkey/Sweet Potato Balls, (1) HB egg, steamed green beans, red and yellow bell pepper

Meal #2: Giant salad of baby greens, roasted beets, cultured carrots, capers, red onion, cherry tomatoes, tuna. Ume plum vinegar and olive oil, (1) HB egg, 1/2 avocado

preWO: 1/2 of an epic bar

WO #2: Capoeira (bike there and back) nope. drove.

Meal #3: Grass Fed Ground Beef with shitakes, onions, greens and sweet potato. a few cherries.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plan for Day Eleven; 8-06

so many unknowns. Rest day tomorrow, and I'm going to try to just sleep a little longer. Failing that I'll go to the gym for a couple foam rolling/sauna/hot tub/cold shower cycles. In any case I'm fixing/eating breakfast at home (and cursing the fact that I'm out of espresso). slept in a little, lingered at home and got to work early. feeling sore and spent from exercise. should have done the recovery stuff at the gym.

Meal #1: Some of the Grass Fed Ground Beef with shitakes, onions, greens and sweet potato, with two eggs poached on top.

Snack: Banana. propping up my mood or carb levels or both, not great, but I'm curious to see if this makes me hungry now sooner for lunch.

Meal #2: Giant salad of baby greens, watercress, cucumber, fennel, cultured carrots, capers, red onion, cherry tomatoes, salmon. Ume plum vinegar and olive oil, (1) HB egg, 1/2 avocado

Meal #3: Quite possibly the last of this: Grass Fed Ground Beef with shitakes, onions, greens and sweet potato, two eggs poached on top. cherries.

Meal #4: 2 applegate hotdogs, small sweet potato, sautéed in coconut oil, cherry tomatoes.

Oh I didn't know that you have a permanent sparring partner. I would imagine there is a rotation. Interesting! 

P.S I have a question about foam rolling. Do you have a good sequence/tips for that? I love my new roller but I feel like I am just being a bear from the youtube videos (where they scratch backs with the trees), feels good but might not do the actual job. 

Oh I didn't know that you have a permanent sparring partner. I would imagine there is a rotation. Interesting! 

P.S I have a question about foam rolling. Do you have a good sequence/tips for that? I love my new roller but I feel like I am just being a bear from the youtube videos (where they scratch backs with the trees), feels good but might not do the actual job. 

Not really permanent, just a frequent pairing. Last night he was absent and I had to pair off with a super tall guy from the advanced class who seemed annoyed with my incompetence (tip for impatient advanced students: don't go to the beginner class, lol) Oh and I suppose I should mention: this is an "adult beginner" class, not a kid's class. J is just there because his uncle is the teacher.

Yes, I saw your request, and have been meaning to stop by your log and detail what I do, although I'm not sure how to describe in words...I basically roll around each leg, so, put the roller under one quad while holding my body/other leg up, roll for a while, turn to the side so I'm rolling the IT band of that leg, flip over, roll the hamstring, then move the roller down and do the calf (cross the other leg over top to apply more pressure). Then I do the other leg. Then I'll put it under my shoulders, with arms in a goal-post position and roll a bit, or I might lay on the length of it and relax and open up my arms/chest. That's all I do. Some other spots I do with a lacrosse ball (glutes, traps, psoas, etc.). I think it helps a little, although not nearly as much as a real massage.

I am impatient and demanding what can I say  :D:P Thanks, I will keep doing my bear+tree routine (and giggle about J's face while I do this).

I hate when advanced ppl come to the beginner class, so inconsiderate as they make everyone nervous.

Plan for Day Twelve; 08/08

preWO: HB egg, espresso

WO: Isometrics/Skills

postWO: (4) Turkey/Sweet Potato Balls

Meal #1: (4) Turkey/Sweet Potato Balls, HB egg, Red and Yellow Bell Pepper

Meal #2: Giant salad of baby greens, watercress, cucumber, fennel, cultured carrots, capers, red onion, cherry tomatoes, salmon. Ume plum vinegar and olive oil, (1) HB egg, 1/2 avocado

Meal #3: (compliant) Bratwurst sautéed with red and yellow bell peppers, red onions, a little sweet potato, garlic.

• Moderators

FYI, I found this little video super helpful for foam rollering:

https://yogainternational.com/article/view/self-massage-with-foam-roller

It's not something you want to do wily nily, especially because it can hurt when you do it right. How can someone who's never been shown what to do know what's effective?

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the Vid Lady M, I'll check it out, and I hope Nadia does too!  :). Yup, checked it out. She does basically exactly what I do, except started with the upper back instead of ending with it, and added a bit to get into the glues (I do that with the lacrosse ball). I also do not roll the front of my calf bone (why would you do this?), so yes, Nadia: if you want to know what I do, watch the video with those exceptions. ps. I also do not do it while talking with such a cute accent. 

Max showed me how, of course, but I can only do and not teach, at least when it comes to teaching foam rolling in words on the internet  ;)  Can anyone do that?

Day Eleven was a bugger. First hungry in the morning, which was addressed with a banana; then headache all day, which my co-worker/close friend Andrew tried to cure with his miagi trick (pressure front and back of the skull. it works for about 1 minute after), and I eventually cured with a contraband post-11am iced cold press; then, hunger some more after dinner. Admittedly, that last portion of the beef was a little on the small side. 2 applegate hot dogs and 1 very small sweet potato were sautéed and eaten with some cherry tomatoes before bed. Period arrived before morning.

I guess there is another side to this "honoring your appetite" thing. I'm ok with it.

Thanks M and M! Exactly what I needed. 

Ahah graceful foam rolling, that's the next level. If you tell me you have an angelic face when you use lacrosse ball you are officially a superhuman. I checked it out and will do my bear dance tonight. I like when it hurts, I am weird. 

Plan for Day Thirteen; 08/09

Meal #1: leftover (compliant) Bratwurst sautéed with red and yellow bell peppers, red onions, a little sweet potato, garlic, two eggs.

WO#1: Capoeira Skills Practice

Meal #2 (kind of preWO) :(2) applegate hotdogs, guac., Peach

WO #2: Vinyasa Yoga

Meal #3 (kind of postWO): (2) applegate hotdogs, cauliflower tabbouleh, guac.

Meal #4: Lamb Burger, cauliflower tabbouleh, sweet potato, guac.

We'll see how today goes. The bright side of not having enough workout clothes to make it through the week is I end up doing laundry on a weeknight and have no excuse for lingering around the house on Saturday. going to practice the "primary sequence" so I know what comes next and don't have to stop and ask. -going to learn it eventually, might as well learn it faster. :)  Then groceries, meal prep, yoga and volunteering all afternoon. boom.

Plan for Day Fourteen; 08-10

Lots of random thoughts about ice cream and muffins and pizza and whatnot yesterday, only a little inspired by your logs, friends.  ;) Staying the course, but contemplating the gluten-free pizza at a fancy wood fired place near me (I've never been there because, well, obs. but a friend who designed the space was telling me all about their quest to develop the perfect gluten-free dough...) Between that and the artisanal donut shop that opened around the corner (Nutella filled brioche dough, anyone? no illusion of gluten-free here). Oh well, lots of delayed gratification going on--or at least the delay part. Perhaps these urges could be satisfied with a coconut-milk ice cream/avocado/sea salt shake on day 31? http://food52.com/recipes/12194-avocado-sea-salt-shake

ok. confession over. sleeping hard and dreaming deep, processing old wounds and waking up feeling hung over these past few mornings.

meal #1: the last Bratwurst, 3 eggs, red and yellow bell peppers

WO#1: Isometrics/Skills

meal #2: Lamb Burger, cauliflower tabouleh salad

WO#2: Capoeira Skills Practice

meal #3: Giant Salad with baby greens, skirt steak, red onion, new potatoes, cherry tomatoes, black olives, chimichurri dressing.

Oh! and eagerly anticipating a haircut next Saturday. long overdue. If it turns out well, I *might* update my profile pic for y'all...gotta get a pic up of me in my brand new tiny "I am whole30" t-shirt. don't let me chicken out.

HA! I will probably print screen this right now in case someone wants to edit the post above later  :P

You are a metabolic machine and have been so good to your body, so it will forgive you anything you chose to have. You know the mantra - do what makes you feel better. You can chose feeling good about making "better" choices or feeling good about choosing to eat something you won't bother making yourself (option 3?) and not being derailed by your choice. I think you win in any case.

Plan for Day Fifteen; 08-11

preWO: HB egg, espresso.

WO#1: Isometrics/Skills

postWO: (3) Turkey/Blueberry Balls

meal #1: (3) Turkey/Blueberry Balls, red and yellow bell pepper

meal #2: GS: greens, fennel, beets, cultured carrots, cherry tomatoes, red onion, capers. avo. HB egg, tuna, ume plum, olive oil

WO #2: Capoeira (bike there and back: 4 miles)

meal #3: Lamb Burger, Cauliflower Tabouleh, sweet potato, coconut water.

Sorry to bore you all with these menus, but it helps me somehow to write it all out. onward.

Plan for Day Sixteen; 08-12

WO: Thoracic Opening/Shoulder Opening

meal #1: (3) Turkey/Blueberry Balls, HB egg, red and yellow bell pepper

meal #2: GS: greens, fennel, beets, cultured carrots, cherry tomatoes, red onion, capers. avo., salmon, chimichurri dressing

meal #3: (3) Applegate Hotdogs? (or groceries), Cauliflower Tabouleh

The toughest Capoeira class yet. SO HARD. and I had myself convinced I must not have fueled well enough or recovered well enough if it seemed so much harder, but then, after class I mentioned something to the teacher and he was like "duh, I made you guys work harder and go faster than I ever have before."  He thinks we are ready. And then a nice patient sweetheart of an advanced student who stayed for our class asked me to stay after so she could run me through some of the stuff again and help with my form. I almost died but I think the pointers will be helpful, yes.

Plan for Day Seventeen; 08-13

WO#1: Vinyasa Yoga

meal #1: (3) Turkey/Blueberry Balls, HB egg, yellow bell pepper, strawberries

meal #2: GS: greens, fennel, beets, cultured carrots, cherry tomatoes, red onion, capers. avo., salmon, chimichurri dressing

WO#2: Capoeira

meal #3: (3) Applegate Hotdogs, Cauliflower Tabouleh, sweet potato. sub for class tonight, so it was pretty easy (except for those combination headstand cartwheel things); energy to cook, so: lamb burger, roasted kale/coconut salad, sweet potato.

I'll get groceries tomorrow, but no way will I want to cook after Capoeira.

So I ran into a personal trainer at my gym today who I haven't seen for a couple weeks and she says: what are you doing differently? it looks like you've lost another 5 or 10lbs...huh? I don't know, maybe? I didn't weigh before this whole30 but it feels like things might be shifting a little bit. What feels like minor changes in my eating seems to be making a big difference in energy, hunger, mood and maybe possibly this. I might make my Doctor happy after all.

Also, funny: at lunch today my coworker pulls some containers out of the fridge, and says: I hope you don't find this stalkerish, but I totally copied your lunch. He had brought a salad somewhat similar to my giant salads...no, I don't mind. I don't mind at all.  :)

Plan for Day Eighteen; 08-14

Recovery: (foam rolling, sauna, hot tub)

postWO: Roasted Turkey Cubes and a very small amount of roasted sweet potato cubes

meal #1: Roasted Turkey Cubes, HB egg, yellow bell pepper, broccoli

meal #2: GS: greens, cucumber, cultured carrots, cherry tomatoes, red onion, capers. avo., salmon, ume plum/olive oil dressing

meal #3: lamb burger, roasted kale/coconut salad, sweet potato.

nope. 2 cocktails, a bit of pate, a couple bites of lamb rillettes, then, after trying and failing to put my bike into my friend's trunk, a 4 mile bike ride and another cocktail with friends in the backyard. finally, 2 applegate hot dogs with mustard, one boiled egg.

I guess I'm not doing a whole30.

I think it's ok. I mean, are three cocktails in an evening a good choice for my health? Probably not... but I just couldn't see a difference between making this choice now and making this choice two weeks from now. Sometimes, I choose to have a few drinks out with friends. It's ok. I know which foods effect me and how, so riding my own bike (literally as well as figuratively) is what I am doing. Menu for tomorrow is pretty much the same as today...except for the drinks. I'll actually have the lamb burger and kale for dinner tomorrow.

Archived