whole30 supercharged...kinda

missmary

hi. got my labs back. TSH is high, T3 free is kinda low. Fasting glucose was high, hemoglobin was a little low. DHEA was low.

So yeah. Low carbish eating and low hemoglobin both can elevate fasting glucose, so maybe that isn't a huge deal. I have emailed my Dr. to request increasing Armour a little bit. Will supplement DHEA again too (that one is tough, because on supplementation it goes to high really really fast but off it, my levels tank. I can't cut the pills any smaller! I'll play around with 1/2 tablet every other day for a while then maybe every third day? Worth a try. When I start growing a beard I will know it is too much, lol)

So that's where I am at. Got myofascial release last night. It was pretty good! Much nicer than rolfing and possibly as beneficial. I liked this lady and it was pleasant at least. time will tell.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if this is interesting to anybody but me, but I feel like I had a revelation last night. Reading up about Armour Thyroid supplementation and I found two very interesting tidbits. 1) this stuff is not time release at all, and dose is better split into two. No wonder I had energy for about 12 hours then felt like I should be in bed for 12 hours every day. It might be nice to reduce that sleep time down to 8-10, right? and 2) If your body is still producing lots of TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) while on this medication it is a direct sign you are not taking enough. I guess I knew that kind of? But it was interesting to see the recommendation that any TSH above 0.4 means your dose is too low (my TSH is ten times that).

So, my Dr. said double my Armour and I'm going to take the second half in the afternoon and we'll see. 

Its kind of amazing how much I've been able to transform my health with sheer force of will and food and exercise but I'm really excited to see if this changes things. I might turn into a real tiger after all.

Oh and funny tidbit: This is going to be a hard story to convey but I'll try. 

There are two places I do Capoeira. One is the real deal Capoeira Association with a Meistre who is the grandson of an important Meistre from Brazil. They have a beginner class (although it is very challenging) taught by a dude named J. The other place I take Capoeira is at my gym, which is a huge chain sort of deal where one of the trainers is a Capoeirista who has convinced them this fits in with yoga and pilates and tai chi etc. The class is good, but it is also sort of a "group fitness" version of Capoeira. That class is taught by a guy I'll call P.

Both P and J are part of the Capoeira Association I am in, and they both take the advanced class the Meistre teaches. Last night I decided to go to the advanced class. The Meistre had me partnered with J, and it was going pretty well but then P noticed and came rushing over in a panic and scolded J for putting me in danger doing this advanced stuff (it involved one person doing a kind of chin stand/tripod with legs in a wide "v" while the other person cartwheeled over/through the v of the legs to the opposite side), and J was just like "but she's doing it" . Anyway, I thought it was kind of funny. the end.

• Moderators

You've always been a real tiger to me, missmary! I'll bet you do feel better with a second dose of armour later in the day--and you'll be able to tweak its timing if it starts to impact sleep, etc. Good stuff!

A few days of double Armour and I'm feeling a little more energetic and clear. Settled on 3pm for the second dose and iron later, around 6pm (turns out iron binds with armour so you can't take these together). I'm feeling good, but also a little anxious about anxiety if that makes any sense--side effects of too high a dose include panic attacks, which I DO NOT want, and might not show up until a month after you increase the dose, but labs say I need more so I have to try, right? It is so hard to get everything to be perfect.

Meanwhile my appetite is taking a bit of a nose dive (it could be that paleo pastelon I made this weekend is just more filling than stuff I usually make), and a couple people at my gym are insisting my "physique" is changing for the better. I'm skeptical, but who knows, I am getting stronger but my clothes are still a tiny bit tight.

travelling for work tonight/tomorrow, next week wed/thursday, but feeling like I have it organized well enough. onward.

• Moderators

Sounds like all good things, really. You're so in tune that I'm sure you'll head off any pending panic attack. Heart palpitations, most likely, will be a symptom that precedes one if your dose is getting a little high.

And we all need reminding that there is no perfect. Just progress. But hot damn what progress you've made and continue to make!

Also, compliments are wonderful. Glad you're getting them even if you don't believe them. I find that when it comes to my form, others have a more accurate read much sooner than I do. Take it as yet another sign you're moving in the right direction?

• 2 weeks later...

quick update: feeling pretty good, except for one morning of feeling overwhelmed and emotional (last Monday--brought on by a combination of work stress/worry and hormones--for some reason ovulating makes me depressed. always), anyway, it got better.

Monday: above mentioned emotional moment, followed by performing terribly in Capoeira (too distracted)

Tuesday: presented to a big scary panel for a project interview. did well, got the project.

Wednesday: flew off to a another project site

Thursday: good meetings + climbing around on the roof of buildings and etc.

Friday: back home, started talking with the new client about the new project (this will be a good one, I think); complements in Capoeria. better form (glutes were feeling it afterwards); asked for 5-days vacation at end of Feb/early March (no particular plans, but there was this open window in my calendar and I think it would be good for me to just take a break)

Saturday: up at 5:15 without an alarm, per usual lately (this is actually a good thing, given that's close to when I need to wake up normally during the week). massage/myofascial release scheduled for 8am. can't wait. Max and I suspect immobility in one of my scapula is the root of slow progress in inversions, so I'm hopeful we can get this worked out so I can get stronger quicker.

Now to get my food back in order. Let's face it: "the best I can do" on the road is not particularly good, and I have been indulging my sweet and fat tooths wherever and whenever such things (like soy-lecithin free chocolate, or paleo mayo) are available. Made some headway with food prep last night (roasted fennel, carrots, cabbage, beets, sweet potato, and a lb of lamb made into burger patties)...then proceeded to leave the burgers on the stove overnight. almost cried this morning when I discovered that, but more lamb is available in stores. carrying on.

more updates: myofascial release was pretty good, getting to the root of my scapula (or is it neck? or is it thyroid, actually?) issue. It's fascinating how these things are all related/connected.

-Made some plans with my mom for upcoming stay-cation (mother-daughter sewing party--we're going to help each other make moulage so we can design our own clothing patterns for clothes that fit perfectly. Something I've wanted to do for a long time).

-Noticed that I'm sweating a TON. Sorry if that is TMI but I'm thinking it is a sign my body is warming up. revving my engines over here.  :)

Oh and funny on the food front: bought a gluten-free scone yesterday, but never ate it, so I had it this morning with my coffee (like normal people do)...then 15 minutes later I'm thinking; I better eat some food before I leave to do my volunteering. SO, lamb ragu (tomatoes, onion, olives, spices) with a poached egg is happening. That scone was definitely not food. could have done without.

• Moderators

Rev those engines, missmary!

The body never ceases to amaze me with its beautiful complexity. Everything IS related. And so much wiser than we are.

I have two gluten-free scones in my freezer from a friend who always brings them to yoga class and gets offended if you don't take any. I thought I'd have them as a treat on Christmas morning but then didn't feel like it. Not food is right. How far we've come, eh?

Perfectly fitting clothes you make yourself sounds like an absolute dream--not to mention time with your beloved mama. Great plan. Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

I'm still here. My week off turned into one stressful day off where I tried to focus on spending time with mom but was distracted by constant emails and calls from work.  :wacko:

But, the weather is changing and I'm back on my bike and I have found a better bodyworker. The myofascial person mentioned above wasn't available soon enough, so I tried another, my second time with her was yesterday. So here's a life lesson. On these shoulder issues:

1. first tried regular massage a few times, which resulted in pesky twitchy-ness in the area; no real resolution. just awareness.

2. tried rolfing, where the lady tried to forcibly change the structure of my shoulder. so stressful and painful. Not helped by the atmosphere: cold room, in bra and panties, no draping (soft tummy exposed). pokey painful manipulation. terrible.

3. then a myofascial person who wanted me "actively involved" in the process, sending energy and thoughts to the area while she worked on it. We made some progress, and it wasn't painful but it was also kind of stressful because I just wasn't ever sure I was "doing it right" and to be honest I was kind of thinking that I do enough work, and I didn't want to have to be the one working during a massage. selfish jerk that I am  :ph34r:

4. Now, a myofascial/massage hybrid person who also does energy work who just asked me be open and receive, and for our second session I just drifted in and out of sleep on her table and my shoulder released more than it ever has. and my heart. and who knows, maybe things will be better if I can hold less and release more and so I went home and roasted a chicken and massaged some kale and soaked in the tub and then slept the sleep of the dead for 12 hours.

Archived