whole30 supercharged...kinda

missmary

FEBRUARY REPORT!

I know, I know, it's only day 20, but I like having a check-in at the first of the month, so I'm doing it now. All in all it's been a great month. I feel like the tweaks I made to my food are working, and not just because the scale says I lost 7lbs in the past 30 days (not to say I don't love that, 7lbs is awesome! :D ). I feel really good, and I'm so so happy to have found the whole 9.

Here is my assessment, the good and the bad:

1. Food Logging/Riding my Own Bike. I was hoping to do a test run without any food logging for the month of March, but I don't think I'm ready. The tiny tweaks I made are still not intuitive, and I think logging helps me to plan and to refine what I'm eating. I'll keep doing this. I feel good about the few times I've decided to eat something off plan, but I'm worried about what I might do if I wasn't posting my meals. I want that accountability. for now (I'll revisit again for April).

2. Sleep. I had a little setback on sleep earlier this month, that I'm pretty sure was a result of taking the calcium/magnesium version of natural calm instead of the magnesium only one (I guess calcium is a stimulant?). I changed that back to magnesium only early this week and it's already better. I'll keep watching this: I know that sleep quality is extremely important. If it doesn't stay better, I'll consider melatonin, like my trainer has been suggesting.

3. Workouts. I continue to be very happy with my workouts, making steady progress (strength gains, form improvements, HR recovery, etc.). awesome. I would like to add some walking or leisurely bike riding, partly because I'm anxious to get back outside. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and I'll be able to do some of this in March--I commit to carefully monitoring this additional activity to make sure I'm not adding stress and pushing too hard. EDIT!: I just realized that considering weight lost this month, I've achieved a major goal this month of squatting my own body weight!. cool.

4. Mood/Relationships. I feel like I have a lot of work to do here. Mainly, I'm going to make a point of generosity: I need to get better at assuming the best from people, instead of getting worked up because I think they are insulting me or judging me or whatever (gym advice giver: case in point).

5. Caffeine. I was successful at limiting my coffee consumption, and did not have any past 11am each day. I have, however, been relying on Starbucks iced espresso way too often. I need to start making my own cold press again, so I can control the quality (organic, pesticide free, etc) of coffee I'm drinking.

6. Weight. I happily reported my weight loss to my kettlebell coach this morning, and it was a little bit of a wake up call: it was obvious she was trying to be supportive but also really disapointed to know I even consider weight to be a criteria or lower weight to be a goal (I haven't ever talked to her about that before). I'm struggling because I know intellectually that I'm not at a healthy weight, so as much as I also have lifestyle goals and strength goals and all kinds of other health goals that are more important in many ways, I don't think I will be able to give up watching this number until I get to "healthy" on my chart (my goal number is based on a goal body fat percentage, not just weight--I've predicted a weight assuming my lean mass will stay relatively constant. geek out.). I'll keep working on this...working on getting to that number, but also working on not caring so much.

As always, a work in progress. carrying on.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great to read your round-up Mary, and congrats on your weight-loss, the PP tweaks are working for you. I think it is ok to use the scale as part of feedback on health/progress, esp if you still have weight to lose. Not so good when it's to monitor vanity pounds (who me?? :ph34r:;) )...

I also like your goal of "think the best", like we all said "hey I bet he was hitting on you" but that wasn't your first thought...even if he was extremely misguided in his approach!

Have a greae weekend, rock March as you did Feb, mwah mwah xx

ah, well. wrote my triumphant post then went to a party and had a single cocktail--too sweet, not enough to get drunk or even tipsy. SO NOT WORTH IT. Conjested and watery- and itchy-eyed and runny nose and sneezing and throat-clearing and poor sleep quality last night. The good news: I'm getting better at being the one not-drunk person at the party. I'm not sure if anyone even noticed this time, although I did cut out a little early. Not that I wasn't having fun, I just kept remembering my 8am yoga class and wanted to be up and ready for it.

DAY 21

PreWO. HB egg

meal #1. espresso (organic). steamed broccoli, cherry tomatoes, sweet potato cubes, cultured carrots. london broil.

meal #2. zoodles, tomato sauce, meatballs (lamb, lamb liver, etc.)

meal #3. fennel, mushrooms, carrot and red onion, roasted. slow cooker pork

DAY 22

PreWO. HB egg

meal #1. espresso (organic), then cold press (not organic)*. steamed broccoli, cherry tomatoes, sweet potato cubes, cultured carrots. london broil.

meal #2. mushrooms, kale, red bell pepper and onion, steam sauteed. chicken sausage.

meal #3. zoodles, tomato sauce, meatballs (lamb, lamb liver, etc.)

NOTE: still feeling the effects of my Saturday night debauchery despite napping all afternoon Sunday (sniffly sneezy, etc.). Starting to think I'm ligit allergic to alcohol.

*Yeah, the whole organic coffee only thing is going to take planning. Drinking store-bought cold press this morning, but talked to our office manager about making it here again (we always use organic beans when making it in-house) and ordered some for myself to take home. Hopefully to be delivered today (by bike, of course :) ).

DAY 23

PreWO. HB egg

meal #1. cold press (organic!). steamed broccoli, cherry tomatoes, sweet potato cubes, cultured carrots+beets. london broil.

meal #2. mushrooms, kale, red bell pepper and onion, steam sauteed. chicken sausage.

meal #3. salad of baby greens, cucumber, red onion, capers, w/ume plum vinegar. 1/2 avocado. roasted salmon.

DAY 24

PreWO. HB egg

meal #1. cold press (organic). steamed broccoli, cherry tomatoes, sweet potato cubes, cultured beets. london broil.

meal #2. PHO! beef bone broth (with charred onion, ginger, spices, etc.), steamed baby boc choi, shitake mushrooms, carrot. basil, cilantro, jalapeneo. meat from shortribs cooked in the broth + thin-sliced sirloin.

meal #3. zoodles, tomato sauce, meatballs (lamb, lamb liver, etc.), done. :)

Well, I still liked the meatballs even on the last day of leftovers (I kept making fresh zoodles each time), but kind of glad to be done with them too. Attended my condo association meeting last night, which usually gets a little heated and involves a lot of wine to temper that. Had none of the wine, beer or grocery-store quality food. felt a little snobish for not having anything, but none of it was worth it.

I'm visiting some threads and saying hello.

Enjoyed your round-up at the start of March. I completely hear you about logging and posting food. I'm shocked at how I started to slip on days I didn't post. And it wasn't being non-compliant (technically) it was skimping out on vegetables or skipping a meal. I felt I had established habits by now but it seems I'm still establishing habits.

I don't comment on your thread much but I enjoy following along...

Terez

Hi Terez! You are always welcome. I'm glad you enjoy it.

DAY 25

PreWO. HB egg

meal #1. cold press (organic). steamed broccoli, cherry tomatoes, sweet potato cubes, cultured beets. london broil, (1) HB egg (not enough london broil left for a full "palm-size").

meal #2. PHO* beef bone broth (with charred onion, ginger, spices, etc.), steamed baby boc choi, shitake mushrooms, carrot. basil, cilantro, jalapeneo. meat from shortribs cooked in the broth + thin-sliced sirloin.

meal #3. zuchinni, broccoli, spring peas, red bell pepper. shrimp. green curry sauce (coconut milk, green curry paste, fish sauce)

*got called out by a co-worker, that without noodles this can not be Pho, only soup. "Soup with Pho Broth," then. The same co-worker takes issue with "Bahn Mi Salad" not including baguette. literalist! (off the menu with my paleo mayo prohibition anyway :( ). Oh well. both are tasty if not authentic.

Geesh! Picky, picky co worker! ;) call it Phoish then

Seriously! Actually, I am able to recognize his behavior as giving me a hard time in a good natured/slightly flirty kind of way. not real criticism. Progress!

I love the idea of "Bahn Mi Salad"! (Why didn't I think of that? :) )

YES! Give it a try. If you are curious how i did it, I'm sure it appears in my old log a few times...but yeah, it is probably pretty obvious to anyone who knows what Bahn Mi includes, so you can make up your own pretty easily.

GYM DRAMA UPDATE

Unsolicited advice dude was in the gym this morning (after being mysteriously absent since the "incident"). Awkward!

SO...I walked up to him, he gave me a look like he desperatly wanted to run the other way--how is it possible that this sub-5% body fat dude who is AT LEAST a foot taller than me and routinely does pullups with plates hanging on a chain around his waist? how is it possible that that guy is afraid of me? I think it is possible. Anyway, he pulls a headphone out of his ear. I say "I'm glad you're here! :) " He looks even more scared. Then I ask for him to finish explaining what he meant about the elbow position on the overhead press the other time. Sigh of relief. He explains. Tension diffused. My form on the overhead press was slightly better today, I think, thanks to his advice, AND I am a slightly better person than I was last week...slightly. ;)

GYM DRAMA UPDATE

Unsolicited advice dude was in the gym this morning (after being mysteriously absent since the "incident"). Awkward!

SO...I walked up to him, he gave me a look like he desperatly wanted to run the other way--how is it possible that this 5% body fat dude who is AT LEAST a foot taller than me and routinely does pullups with plates hanging on a chain around his waist? how is it possible that that guy is afraid of me? I think it is possible. Anyway, he pulls a headphone out of his ear. I say "I'm glad you're here! :) " He looks even more scared. Then I ask for him to finish explaining what he meant about the elbow position on the overhead press the other time. Sigh of relief. He explains. Tension diffused. My form on the overhead press was slightly better today, I think, thanks to his advice, AND I am a slightly better person than I was last week...slightly. ;)

You brave lady, I'm impressed!

YES! Give it a try. If you are curious how i did it, I'm sure it appears in my old log a few times...but yeah, it is probably pretty obvious to anyone who knows what Bahn Mi includes, so you can make up your own pretty easily.

Well, I was planning to go to the banh mi place, order two sandwiches, then take them home and remove the bread!

Nadia, please link if you find instructions for homemade! (Which, er, I guess I'll need because I'm sure the condiments are not compliant at the banh mi place!)

Ah, the home-fermented siracha. I have read that it has to be used within a week. I don't make it because I don't see myself using it up in time.

Does it last longer than a week for you?

Ah, the home-fermented siracha. I have read that it has to be used within a week. I don't make it because I don't see myself using it up in time.

Does it last longer than a week for you?

That's crazy-talk. Because it is fermented, it lasts a super long time. Just like the carrots and the sauerkraut and the kombucha and the whatever. It has not gone bad for me (at least not in the amount of time it takes me to use it--weeks and weeks). The tricky part is finding ripe (red) jalapeneos or serranos to make it with...

EDIT: I was just looking at Nom Nom Paleo's recipe, and you are correct, she says it only keeps a week. This is because she doesn't ferment hers. Silly.

Oh, that's the only recipe I've seen! I will definitely look for a fermented recipe. Thanks, Miss Mary!

I kind of made it up last time, but since we have nom nom's recipe, I would probably just use that, add some liquid from cultured veggies then leave it to ferment (room temp, in my femented vegetable master) for a week or so, stirring it every day. Once that's done, seal it up and fridge for however long. Other recipes I've seen actually ferment the pepper mixture first, then boil it, but I would rather not kill all those cultures.

Archived