whole30 supercharged...kinda

missmary

I have a half new zealand leg of lamb int he oven - picked it up today reduced to clear from €21.75 to €7.50 :) . use by today? Gladly!

nice! more lamb love.

ps. my lunch portion of lamb tasted better than last night's dinner (hungrier, yes, plus added a little sea salt). I think I'm coming around to this sweet/savory thing. :rolleyes:

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stews tend to taste better day after, I've noticed that too. I skipped apricots with the recipe, but used what I had (prunes). Plus I ate it with plain cauliflower, that might have evened the taste.

Tagine is actually super cool, but mine is tiny, so I don't use it much. I won't bother with one if I had a slow cooker.

DAY 36

preWO. HB egg

meal #1. cold press (organic). red bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, green beans (steamed), roasted sweet potato cubes, blueberries. london broil.

meal #2. shepherds pie-ish: mix of 2/3 ground grass-fed beef and 1/3 pork, sauteed together with mushrooms, onions, garlic, swiss chard. topped w/mashed butternut squash.

meal #3. slow cooker lamb (w/carrots, parsnips, apricots, onion). salad of cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, baby greens, ume plum vinegar.

DAY 37

preWO. HB egg
meal #1. cold press (organic). red bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, green beans (steamed), roasted sweet potato cubes. london broil.
meal #2. shepherds pie-ish: mix of 2/3 ground grass-fed beef and 1/3 pork, sauteed together with mushrooms, onions, garlic, swiss chard. topped w/mashed butternut squash.
meal #3. the last of the beef/pork/mushrooms/onion/garlic/chard, with crushed tomatoes and kalamata olives added, over zoodles.

sorry for the boring meals, just trying to be frugal and eat all my leftovers. Carrying on, but kind of in a funk. Last night hit with some major anxiety for no real reason, and dealt with it by going to bed REALLY early. I can remember waking up in the middle of the night feeling relieved that that anxious feeling wasn't there. What was that about? Maybe hormones? anyway, mostly better now.

You call it boring, I call it functional. There is something very calming in reading "roasted sweet potato cubes" every now and then.

It would be worse to have a real reason to be extremely worried about. Blame hormones, eat some lamb and sleep well tonight! I hope it was a one episode thing with anxiety.

DAY 38

preWO. HB egg

meal #1. cold press (organic). BREAKFAST EXPERIMENT: slow cooker lamb (w/carrots, parsnips, apricots, onion), mashed butternut squash. cucumbers w/ ume plum vinegar. hmm. tasted good, but got full really quickly, couldn't finish the lamb/squash or even eat any of the cucumbers.

meal #2. steamed summer squash, zuchinni, asparagus, red and orange bell pepper. shrimp. green curry sauce (coconut milk, green curry paste, fish sauce).

meal #3. you guessed it: slow cooker lamb (w/carrots, parsnips, apricots, onion) + mushrooms

DAY 39

(no WO)

meal #1. espresso (organic). followed by decaf (not organic. boo.) red bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, green beans (steamed), roasted sweet potato cubes. london broil, HB egg.

meal #2. LAMB! cucumbers w/ume plum vinegar from yesterday

meal #3. roasted broccoli, asparagus, mushrooms. some cherry tomatoes. scoop of guac. another attempt at sliders/meatballs (grass-fed ground beef, chicken livers, parsley, onion, egg)--held together in the pan ok, but next time I'm baking these.

working early to get stuff ready for a deadline. craving bananas and paleo mayo (not together!) and gritting my teeth until day 49. lame. heh. Looks like I was having some early morning "i didn't have time to workout instead I have to go to work early' blues. I'm fine.

DAY 40

preWO. HB egg

meal #1. roasted broccoli, cherry tomatoes, red and orange bell pepper, (2) HB eggs, gourmet grassfed jerky.

meal #2. roasted asparagus, mushrooms. some cherry tomatoes and baby greens w/ume plum vinegar. scoop of guac. sliders/meatballs (grass-fed ground beef, chicken livers, parsley, onion, egg). banana.

meal #3. crumbled sliders with tomato sauce, onions and kalamata olives. over zoodles.

DAY 41

holy stress balls at work and home! yuck. The whole thing is giving me a stomach ache, but I AM NOT going to use food or alchohol as a temporary distraction/fix. I didn't last night, and I am not going to do it today.

(no AM WO, going to the office instead, determined to get one in, though, later...)

meal #1. remains of crumbled sliders with tomato sauce, onions and kalamata olives, zoodles (left half a plate uneaten last night). roasted broccoli, two poached eggs.

meal #2. probably a grass-fed burger+salad at the resturant inside my gym. nope. by the time I finished my workout they were closed. applegate hot dogs with pico and guac. a bit rushed needing to get to my volunteer commitment, but it did the trick.

meal #3. NB's salad of celery root, green beans, dill, mustard/vinegar dressing, subbed a shallot for leeks, added capers (out of cucumbers) roasted salmon. NICE. this was really pretty and tasty.

DAY 42

preWO. london broil

meal #1. salad of celery root, green beans, dill, mustard/vinegar dressing, shallot, capers. 3 HB eggs.

meal #2. applegate beef hotdogs, lots of pico and some guac over salad greens. meal #1 was late and large. I didn't get hungry again until almost dinner time, so I skipped to meal #3.

meal #3. practical paleo beef shortribs (shortribs, tomatoes, garlic, dates, basalmic) + mushrooms and carrot.

Good and brave girl. Astonishing determination. Hope you will have stress -free Sunday at least.

Kudos for trying the salad. I'll add capers next time too, good idea.

Is it spring in MN yet?

Thanks sweetie. I don't know how brave I am, I'm just getting better at recognizing when I'm letting my emotions spin out of control. Like the worst offense from my childhood: Dad yelling "stop overreacting!!" when I was crying and upset. not good moments, but he must have had a point.

Neither the home thing (a nasty letter sent by mistake from my bank*) or the work thing (just some extra work decided at the last minute) are worth me getting upset, but still I have to make constant conscious effort to cope in a productive manner...and still my body is responding in hyperdrive. I've needed my inhaler twice in the last two days. :wacko:

Funniest part was volunteering yesterday: I help out at a nursery for kids in crisis and sometimes they have trouble coping and start lashing out. I had to remove a 3-year-old from the other kids, so I'm carrying her on my hip, walking slowly around, modelling really slow deep breathing, explaining how it helps me feel calm to take a deep breath in, then breathe out, and in and out and so on. At that moment I wasn't thinking at all about my stuff, but I could feel myself relaxing...

onward to yoga, then the office, then to shortribs waiting at home tonight. Maybe Spring in a few weeks time.

*Still need paperwork confirming it was a mistake, but it can't rationally be anything else and I DID finally get someone on the phone yesterday to say that it "probably was a mistake". :( can you tell I'm not totally over it yet?

DAY 43

no am WO

meal #1. espresso (organic), then later, decaf (not organic), steamed broccoli, red and yellow bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, 2 HB eggs, small amount of london broil.

meal #2. practical paleo beef shortribs (shortribs, tomatoes, garlic, dates, basalmic) + mushrooms and carrot. asparagus.

meal #3. applegate beef hotdogs, lots of pico and some guac, asparagus.

I'm happy to report that I'm doing a bit better today. Stressors are still there, but I don't know...between breathing, and yoga, and a few hours of productivity today, I'm feeling more in control. Content to be in a place where I can observe and reflect and make progress, however incremental.

I don't know how brave I am, I'm just getting better at recognizing when I'm letting my emotions spin out of control. Like the worst offense from my childhood: Dad yelling "stop overreacting!!" when I was crying and upset. not good moments, but he must have had a point.

Neither the home thing (a nasty letter sent by mistake from my bank*) or the work thing (just some extra work decided at the last minute) are worth me getting upset, but still I have to make constant conscious effort to cope in a productive manner...and still my body is responding in hyperdrive. I've needed my inhaler twice in the last two days. :wacko:

Funniest part was volunteering yesterday: I help out at a nursery for kids in crisis and sometimes they have trouble coping and start lashing out. I had to remove a 3-year-old from the other kids, so I'm carrying her on my hip, walking slowly around, modelling really slow deep breathing, explaining how it helps me feel calm to take a deep breath in, then breathe out, and in and out and so on. At that moment I wasn't thinking at all about my stuff, but I could feel myself relaxing...

You clicked on the ugly meal link = you are brave by default now.

Interesting how some childhood memories never wear off and impact us in the future.

Ouch, financial matters are sensitive. Dealing with corporate customer services can turn a saint into serial killer. Hope that you'll get away with minimum "let me transfer you to ___ department".

I thought that it might be a pretty good stress management technique - visualizing that you have to nurse a crying baby.

I'm happy to report that I'm doing a bit better today.

Yeah yeah yeah!

DAY 44

preWO. HB egg

meal #1. espresso (organic), steamed broccoli, red and yellow bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, london broil.

meal #2. practical paleo beef shortribs (shortribs, tomatoes, garlic, dates, basalmic) + mushrooms and carrot. more mushrooms and swiss chard, steam sauteed.

meal #3. cabbage and carrots, steam sauteed, tossed with red onion, cilantro, lots of lime juice, pineapple, serrano pepper. avocado. mix of steamed shrimp and walleye (didn't buy enough of the walleye for some reason). sprinkled with cumin, drizzled with cholula hot sauce.

Ok, Drama is over, finished up the extra work by 8:30 this morning (got to the office at 5am...), so that's done. And I got a call from the bank explaining the letter was "human error" (Not mine!!) and not appologizing. thank you very much. ugh.

Now I'm just tired. Early to bed tonight, but maybe a hot bath first.

Glad that bank stuff got sorted out, but to the office by 5:30 AM??? No bike I hope?!

ha ha. nope, I haven't been biking to work since last fall...and I'm considering maybe not starting in spring? ORRRR maybe only biking the scenic route and slowly? Rushing home in traffic on a bike is like a cortisol nightmare waiting to happen. I'll figure it out once the snow melts a little more.

ps. great workout this morning. feeling awesome (and CALM!).

pps. I think something must be up with my hormones because suddenly the world is filled with hot guys (at the gym, at my job site meeting. everywhere.). It's getting a little distracting. :rolleyes:

True, true, no cortisol please. I just think that public transport or driving is even worse. What do I know, I am a walker :)

Yeah, that's the thing.Driving is stressful (and expensive), the bus is stressful (and annoying), biking is stressful but at least I'm outside. ugh. yeah, maybe I should walk.

Distracting from what? That's sort of cool hormonal imbalance I must say.

lol, right? I AM supposed to be concentrating on work....

DAY 45

preWO. HB egg

meal #1. espresso (organic), steamed broccoli, red and yellow bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, (2) HB eggs, small amount of london broil.

meal #2. cabbage and carrots, steam sauteed, tossed with red onion, cilantro, lots of lime juice, pineapple, serrano pepper. avocado. mix of steamed shrimp and walleye, sprinkled with cumin.

meal #3. squoodles (summer squash), asparagus, chard, mushrooms, red onion, garlic. steam sauted with some compliant chorizo. a drizzle of olive oil and raw cherry tomatoes and some kalamata olives tossed in at the end.

meal #4. wierdness. after ignoring being hungry during the afternoon and again in the evening (I was sure it was just cravings from fruit in meal #2 and last night), I got to a point of nausea/low blood sugar right before bed. unearthed a cashew cookie lara bar from the depths of the fridge. ate it and felt better enough to sleep. I know, lots of better choices to be had but...that's what I did. must remember to re-fuel better on barbell conditioning days. needed more at meal #1.

DAY 46

preWO. HB egg

meal #1. espresso (organic), steamed broccoli, red and yellow bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, lean grass-fed beef, I forget the cut, normal amount + 1 HB egg.

meal #2. squoodles (summer squash), asparagus, chard, mushrooms, red onion, garlic. steam sauted with some compliant chorizo. a drizzle of olive oil (no more olives :( )*

meal #3. yes. the last of the shortribs w/mushrooms and carrots and tomato

*well, I think I figured out why I was so hungry yesterday...in addition to having fruit at lunch, and doing a conditioning workout in the morning, I really goofed on portioning this meal: last night's dinner portion was mostly summer squash, while lunch today seemed to be all chorizo. shouldn't be hungry after that. :ph34r:

ps. too much chorizo makes for a very gurgly tummy all afternoon. grrr.

Meal #2 is a wild combination. Cabagge and pineapple? Really? I can't imagine how it tastes together. Hmhmmm

sounds weird, right? the idea was fish tacos flavors (without the tacos, of course). It tasted good, but not sure if I should have fruit at all. makes me hungry later, big time.

Super weird! I have to admit I have no clue how any tacos taste like ^_^ I have to trust you. Yes I stopped buying fruits (berries sometimes) too and don't miss them much. They mess me up and launch a random craving mode. We'll see what I say when the peach season starts here early September and every farmer's market will be full of them. :D

Archived