whole30 supercharged...kinda

missmary

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

weekend report: sorry folks! no bigfoot. In fact, I only saw one other human at all...and it was a girl ;)

Actually, I came home early, because a good nights sleep in my warm bed followed by Sunday morning yoga seemed a MUCH better idea than shivering and trudging around in the woods. It was too cold, and hiking through 6-7 inches of fresh snow is just not that much fun. If I do this again: warmer sleeping bag, snowshoes, alternative stove that actually works when it is cold, a firestarter and some dry kindling of some sort so I can actually build a campfire, um...yeah, I think that about covers it. At least I was able to save my lamb chunks/veggies dinner by burying it in snow and bringing it back home to cook, just a 24hour delay...luckily I'm a fat burner now, and I can easily subsist on macadamia nuts and cold jerkey. :unsure: sigh. ok that was fun.

Trainer was good, he coached me on my oly lifts and then we did some speed rope stuff to add to my conditioning workout. He emailed me after saying I look "fantastic" (email is now burned into my retinas from reading it over and over) I've still got lots of work to do, but it's nice to have some visible signs of progress after so much consistency for so long. We'll see what my Dr. thinks about it on Tuesday.

That's such a great gesture. Was it Max (that's your trainer's name, right?) or the one who offered a free session? Great work and persistence should be recognized. Hip hip hooray for progress!

I have to add that looking fantastic is not that much of an asset without bothering to try being a better/healthier/happier person. I am glad that you got these covered too.

That's such a great gesture. Was it Max (that's your trainer's name, right?) or the one who offered a free session?

It was Max. :)

I have to add that looking fantastic is not that much of an asset without bothering to try being a better/healthier/happier person. I am glad that you got these covered too.

so true. absolutely correct. I do think looking better--for me at this point anyway--is truly an outward expression of getting healthier, so a win win, really.

That sounds brutal, poor you.

not so brutal. I kind of had an idea of what would happen, and I went for it anyway. My silly choice to go and my somewhat smarter choice to leave early (my bed feels really nice.).

Well done on your fantastic-ness apparent :)

Thanks! :D I better stop dwelling on this one though, and get back to work.

to health!

ok, I'm really not wanting to dwell on my appearance, because that isn't what this is about at all, but I've got one more for you guys: fancy awards dinner thing coming up on Thursday (no, I'm not likely to get an award :P ), and I decided to go through my closet and see what I already own that might fit. Everything fit (except for stuff that was too big) and I decided to go with the dress I wore at my sister's wedding 8? 9? years ago. The sad thing is, while I'm super excited and happy it fits and I think it looks pretty ok now, I remember at the time feeling like I was hugely fat and actively avoiding being captured in any photographs. Sometimes I think our perspective on these things gets so skewed it's impossible to know where you really stand.

I am a human being; therefore I am beautiful. And, slowly but surely, I am getting healthier.

Bring us good news ;)

News is good! Dr. is happy. BMI is now merely "overweight" and 30lbs less than last time I saw her (didn't realize it was so many, but 6 in April so far). Blood was drawn to see if I can stop supplementing DHEA, and to check iodine levels. She will also entertain reducing thyroid meds but not until sometime in the summer, wishing to do only one thing at a time. wise woman :) I will be a patient patient.

I really hope you didn't ride your bike today!

No bike today. but I did just get stuck in my own driveway in my car...I just wanted to get home and pull into my garage after a long night, but no such luck. Parked now.

Learned what "gluten/grain, dairy, and legume free" request means at a catered dinner: vegan. :wacko: Ate what I could, which included grilled bell pepper strips, skinny asparagus stalks and rounds of zuchinni (two or three of each?). This was served on a giant pile of unseasoned, oil-free rice...which didn't seem worth eating. Dessert bar didn't even have a token grape or strawberry for garnish, only dairy and gluten bombs as far as the eye could see. oh well, I'm fine without food for a few hours. no big deal.

Meanwhile, my paleo kitty experiment is going as suspected. I left two bowls of kibble out for the day: 1.) standard organic whatever I used to think was good enough-lamb and rice?-kibble. 2.) "grain-free" organic that I now think is slightly better-lamb and lamb?-kibble.

lamb lamb bowl is running low. rice bowl is still full. soon she will be eating lamb livers with meeeee :ph34r:;)

!!!You have a caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!!! What color? I had to leave mine back in Russia, vet said he won't make the flight :(

oh, this makes me sad NB. I hope your cat is happy in Russia. Mine is actually Norweigan (via New Haven, CT), and has been my companion for 12+ years now. I will search for a photo to post for you.

operation paleo kitty is going so well I am wondering why I never tried this before. She normally gets about a tablespoon of pureed meat at dinnertime (from a can: lamb, turkey or salmon), which she loves. Last night I put down the bowl with cubes of raw lamb liver instead (less than a teaspoon). This cat who can spend ten minutes sniffing offered food before deciding if it meets her standards? she gobbled it up instantly and looked at me for more. today I go to the really special-diet pet food store to seal my fate as a crazy cat lady.

in other news: one glass of wine is something I can do on occasion without incident, however, two nights in a row and I woke up at 2am again. no bueno. I refuse to blame the small bowl of blackberries or the piece of dark chocolate (left over from backpacking). they are innocent!!! :)

Seems like you are having fun. Seems like your kitty is loving your new experiments, that's so cool. I remember when Liz Wolf from BB was saying that she made bone broth for her dogs etc and that they eat better than her. Watch out, paleo kitty may turn into a tiger in 30 days :D

sigh. third night with a single glass of wine and I was up at 3am needing my inhaler. this must stop.

turns out my tiger turned into a finicky housecat once again. very special-diet pet food store has given me samples of a variety of options, with advice to offer 1 teaspoon, three times per day to start. It's basically a whole animal, ground up (bones, skin, organs and all+a few supplements like fish oil). I started with cornish game hen. I can kinda imagine her capturing and killing one of these, so it seems appropriate vs. the beef. :o:) 1st serving she ate like a champ. 2nd, she left about half, 3rd maybe one lick. see how we are regressing here? I think she is eating all that grain-free kibble and not hungry for ground hen, but I'm hesitant to take the kibble away entirely and leave her hungry. wah! if I'm going to all this trouble to get fresh bloody kill for her, she better appreciate it. lol. :huh: I wonder if they have mouse?

EDIT to add some reminders for myself (ignore boring details :) ): Blood works is back. Yesterday was day one of iodine supplementation, since my levels have been going DOWN despite regular sea snax, shrimp and egg consumption...too chicken to drop DHEA entirely (levels are still within "normal" range, but mid-upper now...note some sources recommend much higher than the Dr.'s "normal"), so those are being cut in half for now.

thoughts:

1. operation paleo kitty is complete and a success. I just had to take the kibble away to make sure she was hungry when the new food was offered (she doesn't eat when not hungry? :o even stuff she likes? madness).
  2. new batch of booch on second ferment, and I splurged on local frozen rasberries (that plus lemon juice) and it looks so good I can hardly wait the 48 hours. can't wait, but perfect that it will be ready when my Kombucha-loving friend comes to visit on Wednesday.
  3. took a rest day yesterday for no reason, really, just felt like doing other stuff (like buying smartwool socks and playing the piano and taking a nap). I'm glad I did it. Workout as usual today.

#1 what's her favorite so far?

read #2 twice, didn't understand a word, like some sort of spells. Pure witchcraft. My scoby won't even grow to a decent size. No boocha love for me.

#3 I knew you play piano, I KNEW IT. :wub:

#1 what's her favorite so far?

Hmmm, hard to say, but I think maybe beef?

#3 I knew you play piano, I KNEW IT. :wub:

Ha. Piano was my second instrument at school (first was cello) so playing is pure pleasure for me now (vs. playing the cello where I am much too hard on myself). TRYING to learn Debussy's Suite Bergamasque, but it is possible my hands are too small to play all these notes at once. Is there a ballet to go with that one? There should be, I think :)

Archived