Day 3 - Dairy Schmairy

jpketz

So I gave dairy a good shot as my first reintroduced food category. Included in the experiment were half-and-half, ice cream, fruit juice sweetened yogurt, sour cream, aged cheese and good quality 4-ingredient ice cream (and former drug of choice).

The common thread is that they all gave me some level of bloating and/or G.I. distress, the least amount from the yogurt, the most from the ice cream which woke me up at 3 a.m.

I suspected the cultured dairy products would be easier on the digestion, although I didn't get around to kefir.

After re-reading the section on Dairy in 'It Starts With Food', I'm concluding that for me, lactose does cause a mild but significant enough reaction to warrant avoiding it, especially as part of an overall effort to get my gut in better shape and reduce my sugar intake. And when you look at cow's milk in its proper context of being the ideal natural substance for growing baby cows, it even gets a little creepy that we humans like it so much. Eeew.

And after discovering frozen banana, cocoa powder "ice cream", why go back to milk? Seriously.

So onward. A few days of clean eating followed by re-intro of gluten-containing grains.

It's so nice to know those things. My post-Whole30 reward is an ice cream maker attachment for the KitchenAid, because I want to be able to make coconut milk ice cream at home. The frozen banana, cocoa powder thing is such a great treat, too.

And when you look at cow's milk in its proper context of being the ideal natural substance for growing baby cows, it even gets a little creepy that we humans like it so much. Eeew.

OMG! I felt exactly the same way. Now every time I see people drinking it I want to tell them to read that chapter!

Best of luck on your re-intro!

Archived