High school teen first W30

Toni Tab

My name is Toni and i will be doing my first Whole30 beginning on Mon, June 17, 2012. I have been aware of the Paleo diet for about 2 years now i just have been on and off. For the past year i have been completely off (freshman 15) and i want to get back on track for the rest of my life. This will be tough since when i hang out with my friends, they always opt for the junk food. Since it is summer, this is a perfect time for me to focus on my health and fitness. I am a competitive tennis player and i want to get back in tournament mode but the only thing i need is to get in shape. I will also be doing the Insanity Asylum for conditioning. I hope to use this forum as a way of accountability towards my actions. Hope i don't bore you with my daily activities but i will most definitely use this as a food journal, as well as my exercise journal. See you tomorrow!

Welcome Toni! You are light-years ahead of your peers...my daughter is in college and struggles daily with her "off-the-wall, healthy" eating with all her friends as well...stay strong and you will be a great example of what making good choices can do! Good Luck!

Day 0

Okay so when i decided to write this, i said i'd have integrity and not just reply back if i fell of track. Well, it turns out today i messed up and had a couple of non-whole30 approved foods. i also said that i will have no excuses but since i got my braces tightened today they hurt very much and i opted for the mango smoothie. i also had an arnold palmer and a muffin. Other than those foods, i did start the day out well by having an omlette for breakfast and steak/broccoli for lunch. i've learned from my mistake and will consider today as a test run since i was not prepared either for my meals. as for my fitness, i have agreed to just focus on my nutrition for these 30 days (since i'll be going on vacation right after i finish this) and focus on my sport since i have veered off the path of trying to condition instead of actually playing. Tomorrow will be my official day 1, i promise.

Hi Toni!

I applaud you for doing this. I have two sons just a bit younger than you. We live a paleo lifestyle. We do Whole30s together and they too struggle when with their peers. BUT, they have both said the more they know and understand why certain foods are not ideal choices, the more they are able to resist.

Keep going. Keep your goals in mind so you remember why you are doing this. Start with the end in mind…

I get so excited when I see a young person on here. It makes me so happy. I sure wish I knew then what I know now.

Very excited for you. Keep logging your days and let us know how you are doing.

Day 1

nutrition-

breakfast: 2 eggs w/ spinach omelette, banana

lunch: chicken, steamed broccoli/chinese broccoli

snack: watermelon, almonds, unsweetened applesauce, boiled egg, chicken

dinner: mixed greens, chicken breast, steamed broccoli, pistachio nuts

fitness- tennis lesson

overall a good day, still struggling with the snacking between meals but its only the first day.

Just had a thought. Since you are an athlete, check out the Whole30 Forum topic for athletes. This may give you ideas on how to properly fuel before/after your workout.

Don't worry too much about the snacking right now. I believe, once you get in a groove, figure out how much to eat at each meal you will be golden. Play with portions. See what works. What and how much keeps you satisfied for how long. Eat plenty of protein and fat.

It will work itself out…keep going and you can always ask questions.

Thanks everyone for the support i'm glad i joined this forum :)

Day 2

-spinach egg omelette

-mixed greens w/ boiled egg & green grapes

-pistachio nuts, almonds, pork, cabbage

-chicken, broccoli, watermelon (dessert)

fitness: none, a bunch of standing around and walking though

my thoughts of today are that i am actually feeling a lot better and not bloated. i hope to really get in the groove with working out everyday though, i miss it!

Day 3

breakfast: spinach omelette

lunch: pork rinds, chicken thigh, asparagus, ground beef, mixed veggies (torta)

snacks: watermelon, pistachio nuts, almonds

dinner: leftovers from lunch & mixed greens w/ olive oil

fitness: insanity fit test

Day 4

breakfast: spinach & turkey bacon omelette

lunch: chicken thigh, asparagus, sweet potato (post workout)

snack: pistachio nuts, almonds

dinner: leftovers from lunch + beef stew

i planned on doing the home workout dvd but i played tennis instead in the morning for about 2 hours which drained me out and left me sore but it's all good! i plan on doing either insanity or p90x but i'm still deciding on which one i will actually commit to for the whole 60 or 90 days.. i'll let you know about that later. other than that, talk to you tmrw!

Toni, it sounds like you're doing great! You may also like the free downloads we offer as a companion to our new book, It Starts With Food. Check out http://whole9life.com/itstartswithfood - you can find lots of planning/preparation tips and tricks there, which may help you with staying compliant in social or stressful situations. Keep up the great work!

Best,

Melissa

Archived