Ketosis vs. Ketoacidosis

I know that an essential part of the Whole 30 is teaching your body to rely on fats for energy versus glucose. From my understanding, this is achieved through ketosis. Now, as a Type 1 diabetic, I understand that ketoacidosis, while different from ketosis, is very dangerous. I treat my diabetes with insulin, and my blood sugar has been pretty stable since starting the Whole 30 (much better than usual in fact, and having to take less!). I've read that if your body doesn't produce insulin, it won't know what healthy levels of ketone production is, and could produce too much leading to ketoacidosis. Is this something I should be concerned about during my Whole 30, or does my insulin that I take keep it all in check? Advice from any diabetics most welcome!

My understanding is that Whole30 doesn't actually push you into ketosis, it's fat adaption not fat reliance -- so you CAN use stores of fat, but you aren't ONLY using stores of fat. Whole30 can actually include a fair amount of carbohydrate from vegetable sources. One of the mods probably has a more developed answer to this.

• Moderators

CAK911 is right. You do not need to restrict carbs and put yourself into ketosis to achieve great results during a Whole30. We want you to eat as many carbs from vegetables as you need. Most people feel and perform better eating a sweet potato or another similar serving of carbs every day. I know I do. I even sleep better when I have some carbs during the day.

I hope some diabetics will add there personal experience here as I am not expert with type 1 diabetes.

I'm type 1 also, I haven't heard that about your body not knowing what a healthy level of ketones is.... but if your blood sugar levels are stable and you are taking at least some insulin, I think that suggests that you aren't in danger of developing ketoacidosis.

I think ketoacidosis occurs when there is a serious energy/metabolism imbalance, i.e. when there is no insulin around to suppress massive fat mobilisation - much more than the body's actual energy requirements, leading to a build up of ketones. Even if you're on small doses of insulin that's enough to stop that from happening... I think.... Argh I'm so foggy on all this stuff now!

Anyway, easiest way to put your mind at ease is to get yourself some of those urine ketone sticks, I've tested myself a couple of times during my Whole30 and no ketones at all. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Tom, would you recommend a serving of sweet potato or similar every day even if not working out hard? I'm recovering from hip surgery so I do physio exercises, pilates, walking, small amounts of swimming, etc. but no hard workouts (I was doing weights for a while but developed a problem in my shoulder that just won't go away - was hoping Whole30 would help with this). I was also thinking of eliminating FODMAPs since I am still having some digestive issues (have just posted about this in Probiotics) and as I understand it sweet potatoes may fit into that category...

Archived