Day 8 -- Haven't Been Hungry Once

Ottagon

Sort of a lie; I had that gnawing stomach feeling the first day, but from then on, I've not felt hungry once. This is actually sort of bad, because it means I never want to eat. I have to force myself to eat each meal, because otherwise, I just wouldn't.

This means that my energy levels are always tanking really sharply and suddenly; it's hard for me to stay energetic, focused, and happy. My mood wanders the range between neutral and depressed. And I've now had a headache for 7 days!

I think the interesting takeaway I have so far is how little and yet how much I care about food. What I mean is: I'm not very interested in meals. Cooking a meal and sitting down to eat it and focusing on it is all a big waste of time for me. It doesn't matter how well-prepared it is; I'd rather not be bothered with it.

On the other hand, I highly value food and drink as a way to augment other activities. Reading a book or writing isn't as nice without a glass of wine. Movies aren't as enjoyable without popcorn. And going out with friends just plain SUCKS when they're all eating and drinking and I just have to stand there in accusatory abstinence. So that's been the hardest thing about this. It's not the meals; I could take them or leave them. It's not even the food. It's the way food and drink enhances everything else that I do.

I feel you on the not being hungry. I have to force myself to eat most meals because I'm not hungry. I used to drink coffee all day and skip breakfast and lunch so part of my struggle has been skipping coffee and eating first thing. I am not perfect but I am making efforts to change those habits.

I went out one night last week with my friends and had coffee instead of a cocktail. It was actually quite satisfying. I thought it would be harder than it was but I have had and can have a cocktail anytime but these thirty days so why fret?

Have you thought of making kale chips instead of popcorn? They're much better for you and so delicious, and they have a similar taste to popcorn.

I feel like the whole point of this is to break those social and psychological habits and hang-ups with food. Don't think of it as a depravement when you can't have something, think of the good you're doing for your body.

It's not that you won't ever be able to have a cocktail with friends, or popcorn at a movie, it's only 30 days. You can do this!

It's not that you won't ever be able to have a cocktail with friends, or popcorn at a movie, it's only 30 days. You can do this!

Yeah, it's just that my paleo friends are really hopeful that I'll be convinced and want to do this forever. Thanks for the support!

Archived