Unintentional off-plan restaurant food- do I start over?

Moluv

I had planned on going home for lunch today and came to work with nothing for lunch. Then plans changed and I couldn't leave. I tried my best to stay compliant at the burger joint nearby just having meat, chilis, lettuce, tomato, onions and pickles. Before I was even done I had a headache (which I still have 3 hrs later, along with excess sweating) so I know there was some insidious ingredient in my lunch. Probably the green chilis came from a can- what of they had wheat starch or worse. Argh I'm so mad at myself- I should've just gone hungry all day than try to eat mystery foods. Obviously I need to keep food at work in the future but my question now is do I need to start my whole30 over? I'm on day 13 and would be pretty bummed out as I signed up for the email newsletter and don't want to have to re-read all the same ones but based on how I feel right now I know I had something unpure- I just don't know what it was.

What happened was unintentional and you did your best. I don't know what could have caused that reaction, but I have very few food reactions and they are quite subtle. I would carry on, make sure you always have something for emergencies and maybe tack on some time at the end of your 30 days if you don't get the results you are hoping for.

After reading Moluv's post I feel like a paranoid crazy person, but I will ask the question any way. I went to a restaurant that serves grass fed, pastured meat. I researched the emnu asked for my salad minus the vingar subed it for lemon wedges, oliv eoil on the side. Asked if the burger was cooked with any kind of oil was told no. When I received my burger it tasted like bacon, seems like the cook the bacon the same grill. My salad had a potobello on it as soon as I tadted a strip it was too swet I stopped chewing and put the mushroom to the side.

I am on day 9 do I have to start my whole 30 all over again?

Well, you think I would have learned my lesson about trying to order compliant food from a restaurant and then getting sneak attacked by some mysterious ingredients. And maybe if I had restarted my Whole30 when it happened last time, I would have. But no no I was too easy on myself, called it an accident and kept on going. I'm on day 18 and have experienced the magic. But the magic kind of dissipated after maybe eating a little too much cashew butter via that awesome pad Thai recipe everyone is always talking about and then again tonight I decided to take my little boys out for a dinner and movie date since my husband is out of town. I asked for no butter on any of my food (steak, veg, and a plain sweet potato) but I am just pretty sure that some nefarious oil or butter made it onto my food because now I have a headache and I don't have a Pleasurebelly calm feeling. So you know what, no excuses, no drama I'm starting over tomorrow. I deserve those thirty days of pure food and I'm not going to allow myself to take that chance away from my SELF. I'm not going to eat anything else off plan tonight but I am going to indulge my one vice and vaporize a small amount of medical grade marijuana to rid this headache and have a "treat". And I'm going to relish it. I will weigh in tomorrow, which I wasn't sure if I wanted to or not but I feel strong enough in my new atttudes to not be too attached to that outcome. Then I'm going to buy WellFed and make sure my freezer has ready to bake full meals so the restaurants cannot tempt me during my next whole 30. I just cannot trust restaurants. Period. Or cashews or coffee or coconut. So now I know. What a blessing. I LOVE WHOLE30!!!

• 2 weeks later...

This happened to me too. I went to a Mongolian BBQ place on Day 7 (yesterday) and I suspect that they added soy sauce to my food. I didn't have a negative reaction, though; I could taste it. For me, the Whole30 is about good food habits, so considering the fact that I did not make the choice to eat non-compliant food, I am not restarting. I may choose to add another week to my Whole30 if I feel it is necessary, but as of now I am just going to take this as a lesson about going out to eat.

Archived