Weekends kill me

Brenda Price

I've finished my first week of the Whole30, and it was so much harder than I thought it would be. The weekend just about killed me, with all the Easter treats around at family gatherings. But I stuck with it, and am still going strong.

My biggest problem was that from about day 3 to day 6 I felt horrible. I was dizzy, in a fog, couldn't concentrate. I'm not sure if this is normal or if I wasn't getting enough nutrients or what. I was ready to give up, but I pushed through, and am really glad I did. If I had given up, I know the first thing I would have started eating was sugar, sugar, sugar.

I'm feeling great and happy about it again, but I'm afraid to see what happens next weekend. My husband and I always watch a movie at home, and for me, that means having a treat or popcorn and a drink while watching. I went to bed early both nights on the weekend, and I was really ornery. Any suggestions on what I can do to make the weekends better would be appreciated. I know I need to change my mindset on thinking I need a treat with a movie, and I will, but that's my big challenge right now.

Ugh, I am right there with you! Weekends are always the hardest for me. I am EXTREMELY type A, and as such, my weekdays are very regimented, very planned. Work, Gym, Home. Repeat. Meals are very regular and very typical.

I don't do that on the weekends, though. It's my time to relax, my schedule is usually a lot more flexible, and it gets me into trouble. I'm also home more often, where there are non-compliant foods around. (My fam isn't totally on board)

That being said, I'm a big fan of guacamole and assorted dippers. My less than ideal go to (for me and my context, mind you) are plantain chips, but carrots, celery, jicama, grilled chicken, steak tips are all good choices here!

Ha! I am very much like Renee. My workdays are as follows: kids to school, work, gym, home, bed...and repeat! Weekends are all over the board. Glad I am not the only one...

I too was going to say kale chips are great for snacking. A great source of calcium and they are are crunchy and salty. Here is a good recipe.

Chop kale into bite-sized pieces

Melt some coconut oil in a large glass bowl

Toss the kale into the glass bowl and toss until it is covered, yet not drenched in coconut oil

Sprinkle with sea salt

Bake in a single layer on a cookie sheet at 300 degrees for 30-35, or so minutes. I like mine brownish and a little crispy.

Cool and enjoy. You can add extra sea salt if you like.

In terms of keeping your weekends in control, if possible, just get the non-compliant stuff out of the house. Go shopping before the weekend hits and have plenty of stuff on hand. Make note of what sets you off…what makes you want to have something less than ideal and have a plan for when that urge hits the next time.

Thanks for the replies! I realize that I'm going to have to make mental changes, especially during the whole30. That's what it's all about, right? :) Well, that and clearing my body of all the junk I've been eating.

I have tried kale chips in the past, but I made the mistake of trying to make them in my dehydrator. That didn't go so well. I might as well have gone outside, found some dried up leaves and ate them. The taste would have been about the same. I'll definitely try it in the oven sometime, though.

The coconut chip recipe sounds delicious, but I'm not sure if I should wait to try them until I'm done with the whole30. I need to try to overcome my movie/snack addiction first. But I'll be all over that afterwards, I'm sure.

I also realize this section is meant for logs, and this is more of a "hi, I can't handle weekends" post, so I will try to also make this into a log, so I'm in the right spot.

So, my food so far today:

Day 9

Breakfast: Smoothie made with a bunch of coconut milk (didn't measure), frozen berries, big handful of spinach, about 1/4th of a banana, and some chia seeds.

*I usually have more protein for breakfast, but I ate after I ran this morning, and I was just so thirsty and not hungry at all

Snack: cup of coffee

*not really a snack, but I missed my morning coffee and had some, and had to log it somehow (yay, accountability!)

Lunch: turkey roll-ups (from Everyday Paleo), half an orange, Larabar

--I'm still feeling pretty crappy. Headache, nausea, light-headed. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or if this is just normal. I was hoping this would have gone away by now.

Dinner: Chicken nuggets (from Eat Like a Dinosaur), homemade applesauce, green beans

I had to do things like find bars with pool tables so while my friends were tying one on, I could still drink seltzer, hang out, and distract myself. This is the hardest part for a lot of folks. Just check in for support. The sense of community helps.

I'm pretty awful at keeping a food log, but I'm still going strong. Last weekend wasn't as bad, but I did still have some moments where I wanted to give up. The thing is, every time I thought I would just quit with the whole30, I asked myself what I would eat. And nothing non-whole30 really sounded good to me. I didn't want to eat any of it, wasn't craving it, so I thought why stop?

My biggest problem is that I'm still getting headaches, still feeling dizzy and lightheaded on and off, and it's really hard. I want to feel good. Mostly, I feel amazing. I know I'm feeding my body the right kind of fuel, and from the neck down I'm doing great. Really, really great. It's just all the head problems. I'm really concentrating on drinking more water, in case it's dehydration. I'm just so hoping it goes away soon.

On a positive note, I had to go shopping for new pants, and I bought a size 2 (down from a 6). That's always enough to make a girl happy. :)

Yum! That's sounds so good. I will sometimes make a blueberry, banana, strawberry salad and drizzle coconut milk over. Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good.

I recently picked up a dehydrator, but have only used it for making jerky. They kids have been asking me to make pineapple. Can't wait!

I did try kale chips in the oven this past week, and they definitely taste a lot better than in the dehydrator. In my experience, I've found fruit is good in the dehydrator, veggies are not so good. Sweet potatoes and carrots didn't work very well for me either.

My kale chips in the oven burned a little bit. I followed whatever the recipe in Eat Like a Dinosaur said, and they mostly turned out pretty well. I think with the way ovens vary it's hard to find a universal temperature and time that works for everyone.

My weekend was a lot better, Emily. I'm starting to get the hang of this, I think. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived