Day 20- no visual results yet

Ashley32

I'm on Day 20 and I don't see any results yet. I'm a 5'4" female, 120#. I know I don't need to lose weight per se', but I was hoping to see some tightening up in the midsection by now but it looks the same. I'm also not sleeping as well as I usually do. Here's a sample days' meal:

Breakfast: 2 pieces bacon, 2 eggs, 2 TB salsa, 1/3 avocado. Sometimes a coffee with a little coconut milk.

Lunch: Salad: 2 cups salad greens, some diced red bell pepper, cucumber, strawberries, avocado, grilled chicken breast, homemade orange vinaigrette dressing.

PWO: Banana w/ TB almond butter

Dinner: 1-2 Cups "chocolate chili", 1-2 Cups Brussels sprouts sautéed with onion and bacon.

Before bed: herbal tea, sometimes (only if i really feel hungry) a handful of grapes or olives or a Tb almond butter.

What am I doing wrong. Or am I expecting too much? I ate fairly healthy 80% of the time before this but I've never eaten like this before so I was expecting some result!

Ashley -

Honestly, you're on day 20. There's still 10 days left to go. And if, as you said, you don't have much to lose there may not be much external physical change for you in this month. For you, lifestyle tweaks in the areas of sleep, stress management and perhaps exercise may make more immediate change for you in that area.

The sleep disruption is fairly common as your hormones adjust, but if it's getting annoying you may want to try a magnesium supplement like Natural Calm.

Patience, grasshopper :)

Thank you Robin! What do you think about melatonin? We already have some of that in the house, though I've never tried it (never needed it). I've always been able to get a good 8 hours in, and don't consider myself to be overly stressed. I normally do Crossfit 2-3x/week and run 2-3x/week. This was consistent until I had a 4 week sinus infection, which I was getting over just as I started my whole30. So for the first two weeks I didn't get much exercise at all, but now I'm back at it. So I have high hopes for my remaining 10 days and beyond.

For comparison - I weigh a bit more than you do, same height. I have ~10 pounds to lose to get to my happy place. I have always used my core as my barometer for where I am. I didn't really see much difference in my core until the last week. I actually think I went up in girth and/or weight for the first couple of weeks. Then it started to turn around. Hang in there...

So today is day 29 and while I feel good, have been sleeping better this last week and have great athletic performance, I still don't SEE any changes. In fact, I think my midsection looks a little puffier than it did in week two. What gives? Now I'm scared that as I add back in some of the foods I'd taken out, I'm going to blow up!

Ashley, I can definitely relate to everything you've described here! I am on day 22 and also have not noticed any changes in my body. I REFUSE to weigh myself to avoid further discouragement - but I just think everything looks and fits the same. :( So frustrating, especially because I definitely have weight to lose (I'd say 15 pounds at the very least). And THEN we have my husband, who has been weighing himself, and has lost 20 pounds!!!!! Grrrrr.....

My sleep patterns have also been not as awesome as everyone describes they should be either. I wake up every night about 3 hours after going to sleep! The only real difference I've noticed is my skin, which is clearer. Overall, I do feel more positive about the food I am putting into my body, but am a bit disappointed to not be experiencing the "magic" everyone keeps talking about.

Ladies - I hate to get personal all out in the open, but where you are in your cycle could affect all of the above issues. As could stress, over-training, under-eating...

Ashley - I know we talked about all this earlier in the thread. Are you back to working out 6 times a week (that's an awful lot)? Your body sees that as a stressor and overtraining can have negative effects. Again, if you don't have much to lose, you aren't going to see a drastic change. Those who have much to lose tend to see quicker losses.

MountainJillian - All of the same questions/cautions would apply in your situation as well.

Do either of you maintain a food log on the forum, in case there's some random thing we can pick out?

Robin - thanks for the advice. I actually have not been working out much at all. I walk a half an hour about 3 days during the week, and then on weekends I do a long hike or snowboarding, and one day of weight training/a true cardio half hour of spinning. So overtraining is not an issue with me! When I started my Whole 30, I weighed 178 pounds (eesh.) and I am 5'8'' - definitely have some weight to lose. As I said, I'm not weighing myself so I'm not sure if I've lost. I don't feel like I have, though. I will start a food log today for my final week of Whole 30 so you can see how I've been eating. Maybe I could do something differently that I haven't been. Something to note, I am a Type 1 diabetic but haven't had many low blood sugars lately so I haven't had to reach for as much fruit as I did in the beginning (I was going low all the time!).

Robin, I've been running a couple of times per week and Crossfit a couple times per week. So I've slowed down on the workouts a bit. And I don't FEEL stressed. As for my cycle, I pretty much have looked the same all month long. So today is day 30 and I measured everything and compared it to Day 1 and somehow I've lost a couple of inches overall and lost 4 lbs., but my digital body fat scale (handheld kind) says I'm still where I started 21.6% BF. Maybe my expectations were unrealistic. I was hoping to get down to 115# and see some abs. Maybe over the next couple of months as I stay 90% compliant, I'll see these changes I'm hoping to see? I will say though that despite my disappointment with the lack of visual results, I'd still recommend the Whole 30 to most people and I feel wonderful practicing this lifestyle. My husband does too, and he was hard to convince in the beginning!

Archived