Sugar bingeing on fruit and yams!!

Sandzu

I can't believe I am on another sugar binge. This is a problem I had over christmas before starting whole 30 - I was hoping I would be able to over come this problem during the first 30 days. I am on day 40 today, and I think I made a wrong turn somewhere. I have not eating any non- compliant foods. Just too much of the sometimes foods. I find myself still bingeing but this time, instead of cookies and icecream and chips I am over consuming yams, sweet potatoes, squash and fruit. - having a hard time stopping. I'm not even hungry. How to I stop this madness!! Do I have to cut everything out of my diet? No more fruit ever?? what about the yams and the squash?

Hi sandzu, wish I could help you with better advice. All I can offer is what I do in this situation... Add some protein and fat to make it a proper meal and move on. It helps both psychologically and physiologically to do this... The fat and protein makes it a healthy meal at least, even if you didn't need it just now and can only help reduce rather than increase any further cravings. I also keep plenty of cooked protein in the fridge so I have a chance at least of eating this instead. Day 40 is probably an extinction burst for you too. Good luck.

First of all congratulate yourself that it wasn't cookies and ice cream. Secondly, you may not want to hear this but it takes some of us longer than others to overcome this problem. A wise man (Tom Denham) taught me that if you're bingeing, snacking inapropriately or craving, the first thing to do is to make sure you're getting enough food at each meal. Make sure there's enough protein and fat. If in doubt, add more.

There's no doubt that fruit feeds the sugar dragon. I used to be a big fruit eater but I've severely restricted it and now only have it with meals. If you're brain wants a sugar fix and you feed it fruit, it feels rewarded just the same as if it was a candy bar. when you want to binge, try having some protein and fat instead, it's almost impossible to binge on that. As far as the rest goes, if anything is a brakes-off food for us, it might well be worth restricting it for a while. I'm not saying give it up. Squash and sweet potatoes are good foods. just decide how much you're going to have and make sure there's plenty of other veggies on your plate. Hopefully this will get easier soon but if you're still having problems it might be worth posting a food log to see if anyone has any suggestions for tweaking it. good luck

OMG! I forgot all about extinction burst! I am on day 42 and I started having cravings and just wanting to snack on about day 39. I could not understand why since I didn't have any of that happen all through the W30. Now it makes perfect sense!!

Thanks for all the insight. I had a horrible sleep last night and was very tired this morning, missing breakfast :( - I grabbed an avocado as I ran out the door - better than fruit?

Had lots of salad with chicken and I think I will boil up a bunch of eggs tonight for emergencies. I think I will hide the fruit for a while and limit my sweet potatoes and yams for now because when I am around them, I cant stop myself. I am disappointed - thought I had slain this dragon - but it snuck up and bit me. I will have to be more diligent for a while and not relax so much.

Thanks again :)

uhh... what is "extinction burst"?

Basically your brains last ditch effort to get you to return to your old sugar eating ways, think of it as a temper tantrum that can only be satisfied by a hefty dose of overcarbsumption. Once you push through those minutes/hours/days it gets easier to keep the sugar dragon sleeping. Old habits die hard and sometimes our bodies can resist making healthy changes, like becoming fat adapted instead of relying on regular doses of carb/sugar for energy. The resurgance of the cravings near the end of a W30 seems to be fairly universal. I know I had mine, right on cue last month!

Well, that explains a lot! I did a Whole 30 last July. I felt so great I decided to keep going. Then around day 40 I had overwhelming cravings for chocolate chip cookies. It was all I could think of. I couldn't concentrate on anything else. It felt like a panic attack. I gave in figuring I'd done 30 days. I'm strong enough. One cookie won't hurt. Except it didn't end with one cookie. More like one bag. Followed by ice cream. And like that it was all over. I've been "planning" on getting back to eating right ever since. I'm on my second Whole 30 (day 11). And of course feeling great. I'll know what to look for later on. This helps a lot!

Basically your brains last ditch effort to get you to return to your old sugar eating ways, think of it as a temper tantrum that can only be satisfied by a hefty dose of overcarbsumption. Once you push through those minutes/hours/days it gets easier to keep the sugar dragon sleeping. Old habits die hard and sometimes our bodies can resist making healthy changes, like becoming fat adapted instead of relying on regular doses of carb/sugar for energy. The resurgance of the cravings near the end of a W30 seems to be fairly universal. I know I had mine, right on cue last month!

Just had an ahha moment! Never heard of it but now I understand what I experienced. And of course at the time I thought "one slice of cake won't hurt". Now I'll know better. Thanks for the info!

This was really helpful!! Can I ask, what would you consider "occasional" fruit? Like, two pieces a day, or one a day, or one every other day, or does it matter that much as long as you eat with a meal? I'm very new, just re-set after a few days realizing that eating fruit by itself was causing blood sugar to drop and that cranky, itchy, crappy feeling. Trying not to be too rule-bound but a good rule of thumb on this one would help, if anyone has an idea. Thank you! (Also good to know you're not alone!)

Well, as far as I'm aware, I don't think there's ever been a hard and fast ' how many pieces of fruit, how often'. The meal template Meal-Planning Template: simply says occasionally add a piece of fruit and shows the size as something you can close you're hand round. Now there's absolutely no benefit to fruit over veg, though fruit has the problem of the higher sugar factor. Now if I was eating something occasionally, I wouldn't be doing it every day, that to me would be daily, not occasionally. Now I stopped eating fruit altogether for a while because I realised I was beginning to crave it and it was in danger of pushing my veg off the plate :). Nowadays If I'm shopping and see some really nice looking blueberries, I'll buy some and have them with my breakfast scramble. That works out at maybe 2 or 3 times a month. I'm not saying that's the ideal or that's what people should do, I'm just saying that's what works for me. Any more and I awaken that niggly little voice that wants more and more. I guess everyone will have to work out just how occasionally they're comfortable with it. good luck

I found during my W30 is was best for me to not eat fruit because I have a very strong sugar addiction. I could have happily existed on fruit alone, not healthily mind you, but I love fresh fruit that much. Post W30 I find it easier to have a single serving of fruit a day and it has not triggered a fruit binge, but I have still not gone back to eating bananas on a regular basis. Pre W30 I could put away 2 or more bananas a day plus an apple, an orange and a few kiwi! I ate way more fruit than I did vegetables. I was talking nutrition and W30 with a friend yesterday and told her I feel like I eat more vegetables every day now than I did when I was a vegatarian. Fruit is so nummy and nutritious but I think I get more benefit from the kale in my breakfast saute.

Archived