Feeling a bit overwhelmed

gattling

So, I'm on Day 9 of my first W30, and I think I've been doing pretty well. I recently discovered the bacon I was eating was cured in sugar (of course), so I've stopped eating that. Overall, though, I think I've been on track as best as possible.

Over the past day or so, though, I've just been feeling very overwhelmed by the whole thing. Manifestos and guidelines and rules and when-to-start-over and, and, and, etc. I'm already a pretty obsessive-compulsive person by nature, but now I find myself worrying about every meal. "Did I snack on too many nuts today? How many servings of fruit have I had? Does this coconut milk have any additives besides guar gum? What about sulfites?" Gaaah!

On top of that, let's just say my GI tract has been...grumpy...of late, and it all adds up to some major anxiety. So, it was with a touch of morbid humor that I read in my W30 Daily email this morning that the "magic" should be kicking in soon. Forget "magic", I just want to relax a little.

• Moderators

Your post made me smile and think... It was easier back in the old days before there was a forum and hardly anyone but Dallas and Melissa knew anything. There was less to do wrong because nobody knew any better. You make a good point that with all the "help" we have now, eating your meals can seem so complicated. But really, we are just eating meat and veggies and some healthy fats. We can do this!

I felt the same way for the first couple of weeks. It felt like I was spending all my time in the kitchen, prepping food and doing dishes followed by even more dishes, reading labels...

I also worried - a lot - about whether I was eating too much or too little.

As I started to do some streamlining in the kitchen so that part was more organized, the rest seemed to fall into place. By week 3, I just started to go with the flow.

Yup, I have felt the exact same way. I'm on day 18 of number 2 and feeling "relaxed" for the first time. It's all the thinking and reading and prepping you are doing now that will get you here. It does get easier, sort of like a new job. Just keep going and eventually it will be second nature. I find what works well for me is to make a batch of meatballs and freeze them uncooked on Sunday. By Thursday, when I have run out of everything else I made, I have a delicious hot protein for thurs and fri so I can think about something else for a few days.

It can feel pretty all consuming for a while, but not forever. From one ocd personality to another, hang tough, it's worth it.

Archived