Sweet Potato

realgravity

I am too! I only want to lose 5 pounds, and that hasn't happened yet (I completed the W30 on Feb 2). I'm currently eating about 1 large sweet potato per week, sometimes 1.5. I have totally fallen in love with them though, and would love to eat more...I'm definitely worried it will make it even harder to lose weight. Especially since I've been using spaghetti and butternut squash in meals several times per week too...I think they're in the same category?

I lost a few pounds during the first weekend, but I think that was water weight (also it was right after Christmas and I had overeaten A LOT). I didn't lose another pound yet. My pants *may* have just started getting looser this week, it's hard to tell. I'm pretty discouraged. I ate pretty much the same way since I started...I am cutting back on olives and nuts now, because I think I was adding more of those than I needed to just because they were "OK." I may have also allowed my protein portions to be too large sometimes...but it was always in the back of my mind that I could be eating too much sweet potato/squash as well...I just don't know for sure.

Okay friends,

This discussion is going to lead down a rabbit hole of overcomplicated thinking and second guessing.

First, the Whole30 is not a weight loss plan. It's a nutritional reset designed to kickstart healing in your gut, hormonal regulation and better eating behavior. That said, there is a healthy weight loss aspect built right in to the meal planning template (as so many folks list that as a goal). There is nothing to fear from sweet potatoes - they are Good Food. Unless you are completely sedentary, there is room for sweet potatoes, squash and other starchy veg in your life. My suggestion is to follow the meal planning template and the "best practices" for eating (no liquid food, three meals a day when you can, don't crack out on nuts and dried fruit), relax, and let your body do its thing. You may or may not lose much weight - that's not our goal. Your body will get healthier, though, and that's what we're concerned with.

Thanks Robin. I totally understand what you are saying. I do realize this isn't a weight loss plan. I have completed my W30 and plan to continue the Paleo lifestyle...just trying to figure out what tweaks I can make to lose a few pounds. It's hard to let go of that dieting obsession. I just want to fit back into my favorite jeans again...sigh.

I ate small/med. sweet potato nearly every day during my first Whole30. While I did lose seventeen pounds, my focus is much more on my mental health. I noticed I felt much more more tired and overall not as well on the days I didn't have one (like today, for example). You may just have to test eating them vs. not eating them and decide which is right for you in terms of how you feel. For me, it is much more important to have my head on straight than to lose weight quickly.

Thanks Robin. I totally understand what you are saying. I do realize this isn't a weight loss plan. I have completed my W30 and plan to continue the Paleo lifestyle...just trying to figure out what tweaks I can make to lose a few pounds. It's hard to let go of that dieting obsession. I just want to fit back into my favorite jeans again...sigh.

What are your workouts like? Have you been doing the same ole, same ole.....? May be time to change it up with a boot camp/ crossfit/ weight lifting/ HIIT cardio..... What ever you have been or haven't been doing, go 180 in the opposite direction to challenge yourself ....

W30 will make sure you have all the macro/ micro nutrition you need to be healthy

Just my opinion.... :)

Without the starchy vegetables I feel low on energy. Sweet potato, squash and plantain are my friends :) I didn't start the 30 to lose weight but I did anyway, eating these foods almost everyday.

I'm the same way! I drag if I don't get some sweet potato in my day. I've done everything from SP hash (one of them actually had apple in it too, with some sausage and I'd scramble an egg into it), mash, baked, and I am going to try a "home fry" type thing. Basically a spicy (cumin, etc.) coating on fry type shapes and bake. I'm going to dip them into homemade mayo. Oh, the decadence...

To jump in on the "weight loss" part...

I did a hydrostatic body fat test on day 1 and day 28 of my last Whole30. I gained 3 pounds of muscle (and only trained 9 times in those 4 weeks) and lost 3 pounds of fat. Do the math! that means my weight didn't change but my body comp was COMPLETELY different.

Not to mention the true benefits of the program... (less inflammation, better sleep, too much energy, etc...) :-)

To jump in on the "weight loss" part...

I did a hydrostatic body fat test on day 1 and day 28 of my last Whole30. I gained 3 pounds of muscle (and only trained 9 times in those 4 weeks) and lost 3 pounds of fat. Do the math! that means my weight didn't change but my body comp was COMPLETELY different.

Not to mention the true benefits of the program... (less inflammation, better sleep, too much energy, etc...) :-)

Love this article

http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/

Archived