Paleo/Primal in the UK

Naz16

Wasn't sure where to post this but I've just recently moved to the UK after a 2 year stint in the U.S. My husband and I are in Warwickshire (Leamington Spa) and I was wondering if there are any other Paleo/Primal people in the area or close by? If so I'd love to hear from you!

Hi, sorry you haven't had any replies. I'm not near you, I'm up in Scotland. There's no doubt paleo is not such a big thing over here but there are a few of us scattered around the UK. Any questions you have about sourcing stuff, feel free to ask, we'll do our best to help. Not saying we'll succeed :) some things are prettey hard to get over here but it's amazing what we've been able to find. good luck

Hi and thanks for your reply! I found a directory of online shops and places around where I am that are paleo/primal but was hoping to get in touch with people here following this lifestyle. Oh well hopefully I'll meet some people along the way! Well I have noticed meat quality is a lot better here than in the U.S.

Hello! I'm at the opposite end of the country to Kirsteen, down on the South Coast! I've been following a Paleo diet since last May and did my first Whole 30 in January. I have a blog with some recipe and sourcing ideas on it www.chillichocolatelove.com.

My top tips are Groovy Food Company Coconut Oil sold in Tesco and Lidl smoked salmon! Biona Organic products, sold in health food shops and some supermarkets are great - their coconut milk and cream have no crap in. Nakd bars are brilliant in a pinch - very much like Larabars and you can get them everywhere. Crazy Jack's organic dried fruit has no added sugar... But, all that said, it can be a struggle! I generally rely on meat from the butcher and lots of veggies.

Good luck!

Hey guys! Apologies for the late reply! I'm currently living in temporary accommodation while I wait for my furniture to arrive so I can move into my own place here! Anyway Internet connection here is no good! So most of the time it's a struggle to get online!

Anyway thanks for all your helpful suggestions... I have already found food quality is definitely better here than the U.S. I'm also lucky to have a number of farms around here that I can buy things like free range eggs from, last week I bought 24 eggs for £2! Plus there are others that offer organic fruit/veg boxes and seems like there's plenty of online places to get those.

In terms of meat well the quality here is much better than the U.S plus lots if great butchers near by so that's not an issue. I'm more after things like coconut flour, almond flour and things like that (no I'm not doing the Whole30), I have found the groovy foods coconut oil (although pretty pricey!) and the nakd bars which I now love!

I think I will have to buy most of this stuff online. As for Costco we do have a membership but I was told it's not open to the public? Maybe I was told wrong!

Also here is a list I found of Paleo/Primal friendly retailers in the UK:

http://www.primalbritain.co.uk/paleo-directory/

Also I do run a blog under cinnamoneats.com if you want to know more about me.

Once again thanks all for sharing!

On Day 18 of my Whole30 and people look at me like I'm crazy when I say that, or Primal, or Paleo, or Caveman... definitely not as big here as in the USA but the food quality much better (I grew up in the states). Also we don't have to contend with high fructose corn syrup in everything (though can't believe how much does have added sugar).

The directory looks really useful... thanks!

I've been getting coconut oil from ebay of all places, the company is called Naissance. Ok, it's refined coconut oil (so it doesn't smell/taste of coconut, but i understand that's acceptable) but it costs £8.50 (plus about £2.50 postage) for a 1kg bucket! I'm going for the "get the best you can afford" line here :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Also it's worth remembering that British lamb & beef IS grass-fed, even the cheapo stuff

Is it really?! Do you know of anyplace online I can read more about it??

Anyway, I'm in the UK, down in Kent on the coast. I'm an American ex-pat, been here for a bit over three years. I've been working on getting better nutrition for the past two years and looking into Primal/Paleo for the last 9 months. I have the beginnings of a blog: www.PracticingPrimal.blogspot.co.uk. I don't have time tonight, but I'm planning on looking at all your blogs soon... It's a lonely thing to do Paleo here! So, I'm glad to find some "locals" (even those who are in Scotland!).

Looking forward to keeping in touch with all of you and being able to hash out practicing paleo in the UK. :)

Is it really?! Do you know of anyplace online I can read more about it??

Ok it gets a bit complicated, it's not quite so clear cut now as it used to be. Lamb is still a pretty safe option. Traditionally Welsh and Scotch lamb comes from hill farms where sheep are the only option as the terrain is unsuitable for anything else. Lambs are usually born outdoors but in some lowland farms can be born indoors but are still typically raised outside

http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/farm/sheep/farming

With beef it's a little different. First of all beef farming in the EU is much less intesive than that in America, secondly British beef farming is less intensive than other EU member states. Traditionally cattle were all reared outdoors eating grass (it's cheapest) and many are still reared this way. However young unwanted bulls can be bought from dairy farmers and reared indoors for at least part of their life.

http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/farm/cattle/beef/farming

If there's a farmer's market near you, it's worth talking to the farmers there. everyone I've spoken to here rears their beef outdoors, eating grass, supplemented in the winter with silage which is basically just compacted fermented grass.

there's loads of info at this site http://www.ukagriculture.com/livestock/beef_farming_uk.cfm

• 2 months later...

Naz - moving back to leamington in September. Been paleo properly for about a year in Australia, but was sorta there before we left. I bought most stuff on line or went to birmingham markets. Would be good to hear what's new there. Been away 3 years. My friends Malc and Lucy got me started, they are in cubbington. Their details are on this site http://www.iamtools.co.uk/

• 1 month later...

I haven't stopped by to check this forum but Helen Cuthill if you get this message I'd love to chat with you! You can contact me via my blog - cinnamoneats.com.

Hope to hear from you!

Archived