Natural flavors

satisfied7

Can someone help me with this? Are these always a no-no? There is a Seagrams seltzer water with natural flavors. And a roobious (sp?) apple tea I love but it has natural flavors. I am gearing up for my second Whole30. Thanks party people! Happy hump day!

• Moderators

The problem is that you don't know what you are getting when a product includes "natural flavors. The definition of natural flavor under the Code of Federal Regulations is: “the essential oil, oleoresin, essence or extractive, protein hydrolysate, distillate, or any product of roasting, heating or enzymolysis, which contains the flavoring constituents derived from a spice, fruit or fruit juice, vegetable or vegetable juice, edible yeast, herb, bark, bud, root, leaf or similar plant material, meat, seafood, poultry, eggs, dairy products, or fermentation products thereof, whose significant function in food is flavoring rather than nutritional†(21CFR101.22).

So natural flavors may include soy, wheat, or some other ingredient you would not eat if you knew it was present. Bottom line: The inclusion of "natural flavors" does not make a water or tea an absolute no-no, but you can do better. There are plenty of things to eat and drink that either don't have any ingredients because they are it, or they list all ingredients clearly and do not hide behind a generic phrase.

Archived