Stupid Hard Boiled Eggs

Anham Mahna

Susan, how do you make your mayo? I made some this weekend, and wasn't in love with the taste. I used light olive oil. Maybe that was it...

I'm not Susan- but I'd like to chime in here that I made some righteous mayo with liquid coconut oil. Don't ask me how it's liquid at room temp but it's compliant and so nice for salad dressing and the mayo. It's also pretty pricey so I lovingly named my mayo "Four Thousand Dollar Mayo"

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man oh man nothing will send me into a tantrum faster than peeling hbeggs! Gah I even follow all the tricks and tips from the masters and it's still a crapshoot. But here is one more trick to add to your egg bag- after they are cooled roll them around and get the shell really good and cracked and then leave it in a bowl of water for a while to let the water work in between the membrane and shell.

I'm not Susan- but I'd like to chime in here that I made some righteous mayo with liquid coconut oil. Don't ask me how it's liquid at room temp but it's compliant and so nice for salad dressing and the mayo. It's also pretty pricey so I lovingly named my mayo "Four Thousand Dollar Mayo"

My coconut oil is hard as a rock at room temp but I really want to try this. Next mayo batch, I am going to use gently heated coconut oil for half of the fat. I love the name you gave it. :)

I think I have some of that, too! Do share the recipe! Even if we can only drool over it! :)

I was having the same issue. I couldn't peel an egg no matter what. I got the Cuisinart Egg cooker and LOVE it!! They peel beautifully now. I have even been eating alot of soft boiled ones from the cooker.

Hmmm.... you guys might convince me... still, I have to try the other methods before buying another thing for the kitchen.

Yeah regular coconut oil is hard at room temperature and I use that for cooking- but what I'm using to make mayo is called liquid coconut oil and it stays liquid at room temperature.

I will have to search for that. I wonder how they keep it liquid. Is there something added to it?

The age of the eggs is the biggest factor.. When we got our own cooks it was very obvious. Raw fresh eggs also look quite different to when a couple of days old... It's to do with the adhesion of the second membrane to the shell and the first membrane... Yeah I googled egg composition when I was trying to figure this out lol

Definately the age of the eggs! I have chickens and so my eggs are as fresh as can be. I usually keep a dozen or so "aging" for boiled eggs. I leave them there for at least 2 weeks to get a good peel. Since we have so many I cook them all different ways, but a friend of mine bought me an egg cooker. I little appliance that steams them. They come out perfect every time.

Sorry for derailing your egg thread to talk mayo- but I wanted add for who asked about additives to keep the coconut oil liquid at room temp- I just checked the bottle and it doesn't say HOW they are keeping it liquid but the only ingredient is non-gmo expeller pressed coconut oil. It is also hexane/solvent free. So there ya go! Healthy liquid coconut oil for your mayo making pleasure. And for who asked my recipe I followed (kind of) a recipe I saw on another thread here about paleo mayo and used my kitchenaid mixer instead of the hand blender. Hope that helps!

Definately the age of the eggs! I have chickens and so my eggs are as fresh as can be. I usually keep a dozen or so "aging" for boiled eggs. I leave them there for at least 2 weeks to get a good peel. Since we have so many I cook them all different ways, but a friend of mine bought me an egg cooker. I little appliance that steams them. They come out perfect every time.

This. I did an experiment and found I had to leave my 'fresh out of the chicken' eggs from our farm out on the counter to age for 4 - 5 weeks before I could easily peel them. If I washed them right away (removed the bloom), I could get them there in less than two weeks. The Great Egg Experiment, drove my husband nuts as I had them all sitting in piles around the kitchen and the fridge with little labels on them. I'm a geek, I admit it. ;)

I've also read that grocery store eggs (in the US) can be as much as a month old before they even get to the shelves...so it makes sense that they'd peel a lot easier than ones from a local farm.

Very timely post. I've tried making them with a few tricks I've read. Havent been able to peel fresh eggs. Our eggs are usually really fresh and its hard to keep people eating them long enough to age. I just read a blog post about pressure cooking eggs. I guess its really the same as steaming. I'm going to give it a try.

I'm with SpinSpin on this one! - I put a dozen eggs (straight from the fridge) into a muffin tin, preheat the oven to 325 degrees, pop them in and cook for about 23 minutes (I like my yolks just cooked, at times they are a teeny bit runny), take them out of the oven and put the pan right in the sink and run cold water on them for a couple minutes.. this next part is KEY I find - only cool them down enough so they are cold enough to touch, then take ALL eggs out of the cold water and onto a plate - peel immediately and place in a container in the fridge TADA! They peel easier because their is steam trapped within the shell membrane and the egg when they are still slightly warm, so I've been told. Also do not make hard boiled eggs from fresh fresh eggs, let them sit for a week or so THEN use them! Hope this helps!

I usually make only enough to ensure they will be used up within the next seven days, I have had no problems this way! And the hard skin part is usually because you don't peel the membrane (pretty sure that is what it is called) when you peel the egg shell off, when peeling the egg, it should feel slippery to the touch and "shiny" if the membrane is still on it's not slippery or shiny.

I've always been curious about how long they keep once they're hardboiled or boiled and peeled?

My rule of thumb is that I go to expiration date. I peel mine and store them. I have noticed that being cooped up with a tight lid and no shell makes them a little smelly. However, if I let the lid sit a little loose, they don't get weird at all. They never develop any kind of skin.

I am at my WITS END with these stupid eggs. I hard boiled 18 of them, from Costco, and the peeling is just proving to be a hot mess. The egg sticks to the shell. Half of it comes off with the peel. I hate them all right now.

Am seriously reconsidering getting that gadget you all are raving about. Stupid eggs.

Martha Stewart's method works great: cover eggs with water, bring to a low boil over medium-high heat, boil for four minutes (she says 2, but I always get a strand of uncooked yolk at that time), cover and remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes. Let eggs cool in very cold or ice water. I think it's the complete cooling that does the trick. (Miss Marthat also suggests rolling the eggs around with a wooden chopstick during the boiling time to help the yolks firm up in the center of the egg, but you know she'd have to add something like that.)

Archived