How Do You Store Your Ghee?

Anham Mahna

How do you store your ghee?

Do you keep it in the fridge, or out all day" what kind of container do you use?

My first ghee went into a large mason jar and into the fridge.

The ghee got hard, and the mason jar isn't the best for scooping hard ghee out of. Lol. So i have to rethink my methods. I thought id ask for advice.

Also, I'm having a hard time finding pastured, unsalted butter. Where do you guys get it? My whole foods has pastured lightly salted butter (which i used. The salt is imperceptible.). They have kerrygold, but its salted, too.

Thanks!

I use unsalted Kerrygold, which my WF carries. I store it in a wide mouth pint size mason jar on the counter. I've heard it can last for several months, but I usually go thru a jar a month or so and it lasts just fine. Nice and scoopable soft.

• Moderators

I keep my ghee on the counter all the time.

I've been buying Pure Indian Foods ghee and not making my own lately. But when I make my own, I like to use salted butter. One of the benefits of a Whole30 lifestyle is not needing to fear getting too much sodium in your diet. I salt my food liberally when I am cooking and my blood pressure is very good.

I don't like jars because they're too deep and narrow. However, they do hold a lot.

What I started using stove-side is a mini covered casserole. Along these lines:

603978_333515170082335_1650658836_n.jpg

It holds less than a pint. I don't need to hold a jar and unscrew the lid, I can just lift the lid off and set it back on. And the width compared to the depth makes it easy to scoop some ghee out (or to slice or chop some out if my kitchen is cold).

However, it doesn't hold a whole lot. When I make ghee I fill the mini casserole then pour the rest into a big mason jar. As the casserole dish gets low (below half-full), then when I've got the oven on I put both it and the big jar on my stove so the ghee softens and melts from the ambient heat. Then pour ghee out of the jar into the casserole to top it off.

This is working well for me. Sometimes I use up all the ghee in the casserole before I've got anything going in the oven. Then I just chunk the ghee out of the jar for awhile (and wash the casserole dish!).

You can find a little casserole like that for $5 at TJ Maxx or somewhere like that.

Terez

• 2 weeks later...

I read somewhere NOT to keep ghee in the fridge. When you take it out to use, the temperature difference causes condensation, and the water will cause the ghee to go bad much faster. It is traditional in India because of their lack of refrigeration. It is a way to keep a dairy product from going bad at room temperature.

I always keep mine on the counter. That's what all the youtube videos say to do. They can't put anything on the internet that isn't true. ;0)

Like Kim, I keep mine in a darling, squaty, pint glass jar with the latch lid. I love it when it gets to the bottom because it means I get to make more. :)

Archived