Coconut Milk? Too much?

Keisha Engley

I just made a delicious curry with coconut milk, curry powder, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, chicken, and peppers. I made it in my crock pot and I have a small one and I'm a college student, so I try to make all of my stuff single serving, so I don't waste anything. I used an entire can of coconut and I ate all of the curry. I am very active(Crossfit 4-5 times a week, 4 run days), but was wondering if an entire can of coconut milk is too much? Or does it not matter since it is a healthy fat? I don't eat curry all the time either. Maybe once every few weeks, but I plan on eating it again tomorrow, but I have regular coconut milk and I also have lite coconut milk, so I wasn't sure if I should use that kind instead? My favorite thing about eating curry though, is that I am always completely satisfied after eating it :)

I'd say it sounds fine, in fact it sounds delicious - want to send some over :) Seriously, as you say you're not having it every day and coconut milk is a really good fat. The 'light' coconut milk just has water added to it. Who wants to pay for water? You're also very active and most people don't get enough fat. You enjoy it and it makes you feel satisfied - way to go :)

Hi Kirsteen, had a bit of an issue last night when I had my first eating out experience during my whole 30. I am on day 6 today. Last night I want to a vietnamese restaurant and ordered stir fried beef with jalapenos, onions, basil and coconut milk with curry and opted for a side of steamed veggies instead of rice :). However, my stomach got upset a few hours later. Could it be the type of coconut milk they used or curry paste? Have you experienced any issues with coconunt milk or curry paste at all? Maybe it's because I ate the entire plate? :(. I was planning to cook my first coconut milk & curry this weekend but am a bit scared now. Save me from this fear! Thanks!

More than the coconut milk or curry paste, it could be the oil they used to stir fry the beef. However, it could have been any of it. There's a good chance that a homemade curry won't give you trouble as you're in control of the ingredients. I'd just let things settle down digestively before you give it another go.

Thanks Robin & Kirsteen. I am sure it's how they made it. I am going to make my own at home this weekend, wish me luck. Will report back soon. :) Also, had a very hectic day and had 2 eggs for breakfast with home made salsa, 1 avocado and veggies salad and 2 hard boiled eggs. I know I need more fat and protein, since my 4 eggs won't be enough. Not sure if the eggs count as the "protein" on a plate for the meal.

If it's any help, I have not had problems with canned coconut milk. After a weird digestive issue from coconut milk, I decided to try it anyhow: I have been throwing a can of coconut milk (mixed with curry powder first) into a skillet with uncooked veggies (cabbage, broccoli) and frozen wild caught unseasoned fish filets (salmon and flounder). I put the top on, then place in over around 350 for about an hour. I have had no digestion issues. It makes super leftovers AND I even created an omelette type breakfast with the leftovers as well. Really good!

My major digestion issue was when I tried the canned coconut milk in my coffee. I opened the can and didn't realize it was separated, and only took the thick white part as creamer.

I will add this. I used to drink 1 cup of Soo coconut milk every morning, for years before doing the 30 days (I am on day 11). When I started drinking it, I had to be near a bathroom for the first 24 hours. Things hit my system without warning. Cold sweats, stomach cramping... (not sure if regrigerated coconut milk is a reentry food/drink).

Not sure if the eggs count as the "protein" on a plate for the meal.

Eggs are fine for the protein in a meal the template is as many as you can hold in your hand.

(not sure if regrigerated coconut milk is a reentry food/drink).

Yes, all refrigereated coconut miks I've seen, have carageenan or other nasties in them which make them out during a W30. It could have been that you were reacting to. The recipie does sound yummy, thanks

Thanks for the egg clarification. Somehow, if I eat more than 4 a day if feel like i am getting too much cholesterol LOL. Too many years of listening to doctors and media I guess ;(. It is ok to open canned coconut milk then refrigerate right? I think your "refrigerated coco milk" comment to jenbildman above was for the ones that are sold as refrigerated? Want to make sure.

I made a great curry with a can of Whole Foods regular coconut milk, about 1/3 of a jar of Thai Kitchen Red Curry paste diluted and blended with about 1/2 cup warm water, and the juice of one lime, plus salt. it is so unbelievably rich. I had enough for six meals worth and ate it over broiled salmon, scrambled eggs, and chicken. I found myself wanting to lick the bowl every time!

Oh yes, I refrigerate coconut milk all the time. I usually pour it out the can into another container so I can seal it. Yes, I was referring to the packs that have all sorts of other things in them. I wouldn't worry about cholesterol, we're all pretty brainwashed by it. Just have as many eggs as feels right to satisfy you.

I made a great curry with a can of Whole Foods regular coconut milk, about 1/3 of a jar of Thai Kitchen Red Curry paste diluted and blended with about 1/2 cup warm water, and the juice of one lime, plus salt. it is so unbelievably rich. I had enough for six meals worth and ate it over broiled salmon, scrambled eggs, and chicken. I found myself wanting to lick the bowl every time!

What a great idea to make a batch and then use it for different proteins. Genius. I see it on top of an omlette full of protein and veggies.

When you guys are talking about coconut milk in a can --- is it really pourable? the stuff I am getting is thick. Even if I try to stir it. There is no Pouring action going on. It is as thick as butter. Is this how it is for your also? Could i be getting the wrong stuff? it is just Whole foods Coconiut milk in a can. Nothing else.

When you guys are talking about coconut milk in a can --- is it really pourable? the stuff I am getting is thick. Even if I try to stir it. There is no Pouring action going on. It is as thick as butter. Is this how it is for your also? Could i be getting the wrong stuff? it is just Whole foods Coconiut milk in a can. Nothing else.

Yep the pure stuff separates. The thick stuff is usable the way it is or as Tom says, you can use the thick cream and the water (if there is any) in a recipe. If you have no water, just scoop and stir. It will melt as it heats up. :)

Made my first curry with coconut milk, followed the Thai curry recipe in ISWF book. Amazing!!! I am sooo full and nourished, I have plenty of leftovers to play around with other veggies and meats. And the best part, my tummy does not feel queezy like it did when I had the thai curry from the vietnamese restaurant 2 days ago. On day 7 and enjoying all the recipes and meals :)

So true Kirsteen! Now my sisters are so impressed by how well I feel and want to follow in my footsteps. There is nothing more yummy than the food we cook ourselves, the restaurant food may "taste" better because of all the junk in it, but it's trying to trick our bodies to think it's being nourished :) I did notice that I now grocery shop once or twice a week vs. the ones every 2 weeks, if that, I was doing before. It's so great to have a fridge full of fresh veggies and actual fresh meat to cook.

Another note on coconut milk, I am thinking of using it as a substitute for heavy cream, to make ragut, with mushrooms etc. I would imagine it would taste great.

Archived