What kind of coconut milk do I get?

I usually buy Geisha Brand. It's the least expensive I have found, yet I like the taste and the ingredeint panel is compliant. There is another brand I sometimes get at Garden Fresh Market, however it is litterally a Thai brand and I can't read the name. Ingredient panel is also compliant, and it's really yummy too.

• 6 months later...

I also use Native Forest due to the cans not having BPA.

I make coconut milk yogurt by emptying 5 probiotic capsules (such as MegaFoods Megaflora) into one can of coconut milk and mixing gently in a mason jar. I place the jar in a cool, dark place and shake the jar twice a day. After 3 days in the cupboard, I put it in the fridge where it firms up a bit more.

If I weren't doing the Whole 30, I'd add a few drops of stevia. Then I use my coconut milk yogurt to top berries or with other fruit.

another way to make coconut milk yogurt- I think it was on Nom Nom Paleos site-

1 can of coconut milk and 1 tbsp probiotic coconut water or probiotic capsule

I blend my Native Forest milk after I open it, cause otherwise its a thick glob in water, mix in the probiotic coconut water, pour into sterilized glass jar with a lid. Place in your oven with the oven light on. Leave for 24 hours. Then its ready.

It was really easy, the only hard part was reminding everyone to leave the oven light on. If you use the whole can, including the water, its a little thinner. (I was a big Greek yogurt eater before).

:)

I want to love coconut milk in my coffee, I really do. I've tried a few different kinds (with guar gum and without) I shake it thoroughly before pouring but each time I've tried it there is little to no taste and it looks as though there is a little oil slick on the surface of my coffee. Is this just the way it is? Am I expecting coconut milk to look/act too much like traditional milk/cream? Or am I just doing something wrong?

I want to love coconut milk in my coffee, I really do. I've tried a few different kinds (with guar gum and without) I shake it thoroughly before pouring but each time I've tried it there is little to no taste and it looks as though there is a little oil slick on the surface of my coffee. Is this just the way it is? Am I expecting coconut milk to look/act too much like traditional milk/cream? Or am I just doing something wrong?

Breton, I tried really hard to like it too. It just never happened. I really tried hard. Then I tried hard to like black coffee. I tried really hard. Then I asked myself why I was trying so hard and gave up coffee over 60 days ago. I have not missed it....well..after the first withdrawl days I haven't missed it. :0)

• 4 months later...

I just tried Whole Foods 365 brand - cheaper and same ingredients as Native Forest (my fav.)  Same taste.  I turn my cans upside down in the pantry when I get home from the store - the coconut is no longer separated, give the can a shake before opening - no lumps, creamy goodness!

Archived