What's the "Cleanest" alcohol?

toronto416

After my 30 days, I'm going to keep this up. I feel so great, I really don't want to put any of that other crap in my body! I'm on day 11 now.

I will have the occasional drink though - what is the "cleanest" alcohol to reintroduce? I'm guessing not beer because that has wheat. Not tequila because that's agave. Would vodka be a good choice?

Thanks!

Agree with Tom of course, but when to pick something, i'd go for it by color.

The lighter, the "better", so indeed vodka for example, my favorite is bison grass vodka.

My instinct is that white wine is better to start with, had 2 glasses yesterday and felt fine.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The SCD diet includes foods similar to a Paleo/whole9 diet and in it, occasional alcohol is allowed when you are no longer experience symptoms. Those allowed are dry wine (less sugar), gin, scotch and vodka (probably the cleanest liquor). Never beer, sweet wines and brandy. Heres an interesting article about the effects of alcohol on the digestive system. http://scdlifestyle....-legal-alcohol/

As a former brewer/fermenter myself I'd toss in a couple things about common misconceptions with alcohol, keep in mind though that I do NOT know how much of this has bearing on whole9 lifestyle other than sugars and such (and I definitely respect the spirit of not giving "less bad" advice, makes sense to me). Some of this is also just lesser known info, not really misconceptions.

1. "Lighter coloured" doesn't necessarily mean much as far as what's in the alcohol that effects your health. What I mean is that whisky for example is dark, vodka is light, but they're essentially the exact same thing other than that the whisky was aged in oak, which is what gives it it's dark colour. Now, whether oak has some bad quality for you that I'm unaware of (perhaps from the toasting/charring of the oak) I absolutely have no clue, but antioxidants are what mainly give it it's colour and bitterness. Gin is also basically vokda+herbs (so I wouldn't think that it's "worse" than vodka based on my personal logic but I could be missing something). As well, in beer the colour mainly comes from how toasted the grains are, nothing to do with carb content (though many dark styles are brewed to be sweeter than SOME light styles, lagers will be the least sugar but can be as black as a stout for example).

2. Also, wines can be fermented 100% "dry" meaning they have zero sugar (even if they still taste somewhat sweet), but with any white wine I wouldn't assume it's fermented that dry without contacting the winery (reds it's safe to assume have zero sugar content unless listed as sweet though).

3.Sulphites - not necessarily added to all wine (I never used them myself) BUT sulphites ARE naturally occuring in ALL un-distilled alcohol (very very very small amount though), it's a byproduct of fermentation (distillation will get rid of it).

4. The sugars - sweet wine will have "simpler" carbs than beer. In wine sugars are left because the yeast either hit their alcohol tolerance and shut down, or because fermentation was stopped. In beer however, it's because many of the sugars are more complex to begin with and as such the yeast simply cannot eat them - as such there are no true "simple" carbs left in a beer (and if it's gluten being worried about, gluten free beers exist fermented from non-gluten containing grains).

Ummmm yes... that's my alcohol trivia rant ended. :) Like I said no idea how helpful/unhelpful that is to anyone in regards to whole9, but I hope so at least.

I finished my first Whole30 last week and was beyond excited to have a glass of wine. It was one of the only things I really, really wanted after making it the entire 30 days. So my friend and I shared a fantastic bottle of wine last Thursday and it was as delicious as I had imagined it would be!!!! Then I had the most horrible night!!! :angry: Barely slept at all, nauseous to the point of not being able to lay back down, horrible heart burn and totally dragging and sick the next day. It was an eye opener. An occasional glass of wine had been in my plan for the future but I have definitely altered those plans for now. Maybe I'll try it again someday but for now its definitely not worth it.

So I guess what I am saying is don't get too caught up on those things you have given up that you think you HAVE to have in the future. Believe me I LOVE me some wine but after all of the really great changes I have made I'm really not ready to make myself feel that horrible over some booze. I never thought twice about it before but this has really made me change the way I think about what I am doing to my body.

I'll step off my soap box now. ;)

Archived