Q about cycle returning and whole30

I have three children and am nursing my youngest, 16 months. My cycles have just started again a couple of months ago and they are wry irregular. So I was surprised to wake up with my period this morning, and a heavy one at that. On day 4 of my Whole30. Great timing huh??? Ughhhh. So on top of my zoned out feeling, sore throat and headaches and digestive issues I now have cramps, bloating and even more irritability. I am homeschooling my oldest and let's just say a nap is NOT an option; laying on the couch for more than ten minutes isn't either!!! Further, my cycle or the Whole30 (or both) seems to have caused a dip in my milk supply. And the past two nights my baby has woken 5-6 times. He is fine during the day (just wanting to nurse more). With ALL of this going on at once, I am barely functional. I keep thinking that things were better the way they were and I want my old life back!!! Any advice or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

No real advice - just saying hang in there! I know when I'm sleep deprived the entire world seems more challenging - not to mention how much harder it makes food choices! Sounds like a really rough time!

My baby went through the waking up constantly at night phase when she cut her first molars - so hopefully that is all this is, and there is an end in sight! Until then, I'd check out some of the teas recommended on the board that are supposed to help with milk supply (fenugreek always works wonders for me), and make sure you're hydrated. Hang in there! Don't focus on the whole month for now - just focus on making it through the week! Hopefully everything will seem better in a few days!

Thank you! I did manage to catch a nap with the baby yesterday with relatively little fallout, and it made a big difference. Last night was better but now the baby and I seem to be coming down with a cold...after both of us suffered through a really nasty one last week. He is extra clingy and cries and pulls on my pants every time i am doing something in the kitchen. Sigh. I am normally a half full kinda girl and lately it's like I have this laundry list of complaints!! Can't wait to get over the hump here.

The dip in your milk supply could be related to stress/ lack of sleep, as it sounds like that is a problem right now in your post. Hang in there! Being a mom is HARD work! I hope you can get a moment to relax and some sleep soon. Hey, but you're doing something so good for yourself by doing a Whole30. It will start paying off soon.

Piggybacking on returning cycles, my now 9month old weaned two months ago and I still have not had a cycle. It took me over a year to get a cycle with DD1. I was hoping it would return sooner with this one since I was paleo before, during, and after pregnancy. Has anyone had experience with a cycle returning quicker after the birth of a second or third child?

TIA.

Tricia

http://expatpaleo.wordpress.com/

Archived