Fish Oil

Jackie

Hi Jackie,

It depends. Ideally, you should be minimizing ALL of your polyunsaturated fat intake, whether they be n-6s or n-3s. Cutting out all grains, industrial seed oils, etc during your Whole30 makes a big dent on the n-6 side of things. If you're eating a lot of fish, and eating well sourced meats, it's probable that you don't even NEED to supplement with fish oil

If you aren't eating a lot of fish, and your meats are mostly conventionally raised, you may need some extra supplementation, but a tsp of liquid every now and then should be fine.

Not to usurp the thread, but when I lived in a cold, dark climate I did find that supplementing with cod liver oil was very helpful for joint pain and generally a bum mood. I'm not sure if it was a placebo effect or real, but in this case I was taking 3 g daily.

Our general recommendations for supplementation are 2-4 grams of EPA+DHA per day, but as Renee says, depending on your context, you may not need it at all. Adjust your dose accordingly, and as always, we recommend you speak with your doctor before adding any new supplements to your dietary regimen.

• 1 month later...

Would you all recommend a good supplement for this? I bought some on base just to have some fish oil, although I'm sure it's not the best quality I can get. I usually take Nordic Naturals when I'm at home and it's pretty good and highly rated as well. I don't eat much if any seafood (rarely I eat shrimp, that's about it), so I'd like to get the health benefits of the fish oil. Thanks

You are right to question quality. Without getting too technical, fish oil is a delicate substance and a number of factors could easily make it oxidize which would completely negate the reason you're taking it so do not buy the cheapest bottle of fish oil hiding on the bottom shelf at your pharmacy.

There is a whole9life recommended brand (Stronger Faster Healthier). Read here for more info and a coupon code! http://whole9life.com/fish-oil-faq/

Yeah I'll probably go with them. I was looking at their fish oil earlier today. I like that it's straight oil and doesn't come in a pill. One less thing my body needs to breakdown, and it's probably much better quality than anything I've had before (hopefully).

• 1 month later...

A piece of salmon a day* keeps the pill bottle away.

* or every few days

Or sardines, herring, mackerel, tuna, brook or rainbow trout, smelt, anchovies, shad. Real food is tasty and comes packaged with protein and other good stuff too.

• 5 weeks later...

Diesel (Mrs. Hartwig),

Can you comment on the different forms of Omega-3's? Meaning Triglyceride (TG) form vs Ethyl Ester (EE) Form? From my understanding the EE form is less desirable due to bio-availability, and metabolism of this form, but more common due to the cheap processing of this form.

From what I understand the fish oil is processed and then combined with alcohol (ethanol) through trans-esterification which allows a higher yield from the natural sources.

Of course some studies say no difference other studies say go TG route, but it is quite difficult to find. Feedback appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I definitely recommend paying for the good stuff! I got some of the stuff through MDA and it gave me a headache EVERY time I took it. Bought the Nordic Naturals brand and have no headaches at all. I'll look into the Strong Faster Healthier now, too!

Archived