Gluten Intolerant?

bookishrunner

Maybe obvious, but I'd really like your input.

I've been done with my second Whole 30 for about 13 days now. During the gluten reintroduction, I had a slight headache, but was under a lot of stress so I wasn't sure what to make of it. I've been eating gluten free ever since, just to be on the safe side (plus, I'm convinced that grains just aren't that healthy anyway).

But last night for Valentines, the Mrs and I went to a farm-to-table meal at a local place where everything was raised and harvested on site. Very cool. Anyway, it was a total gluten bomb! Whole wheat __________ with everything. Even the meat was cooked wrapped in a bread. Haha! I ate around the bread for the most part, but enjoyed a few bites of most of the wheat products for the sake of enjoyment. There was also a fair bit of cheese, which hasn't given me trouble in the past, but which I tend to avoid nonetheless. About half way through the two-hour dinner, my stomach (low belt line) started cramping. Nothing major, but I definitely noticed the (thankfully unfamiliar) feeling.

I felt significantly bloated after dinner and went straight to bed and slept hard for 8.5 hours. Upon waking up, I felt just "okay" and then took a look in the mirror....my entire face was puffy...like REALLY puffy. My eyes were swollen and my entire face was puffy. This is definitely not normal for me, no matter how little or much I sleep. I noticed a slight headache about 30 minutes later and feel a bit foggy so far this morning.

I should add that, in the past certain beers will give me *major* edema in my feet...so bad that it is uncomfortable to bare weight. Also, even after one or two beers, I'll *usually* wake up with a headache.

Textbook gluten intolerance?

Thanks for your input. Grateful for such a fantastic community here.

Mike

Thanks, Tom. Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. On dairy, I felt congested yesterday after a heaping dose of sour cream on my beef for lunch. I love that stuff, but pretty sure it's not great for me either. I really thrive on a clean full-on Whole 30 diet.

I appreciate your feedback on this forum! I also get excited when I see that you've commented on my threads!

Mike

It certainly sounds like gluten. I used to get bloated, stomach cramps, puffy faced, lethargic and brain-fogged all the time. About 12 or so years ago I was diagnosed gluten intolerant and it all cleared up when I cut it out. so, yes, I would avoid it if I were you.

It usually takes me 3-4 days to recover when I gluten-bomb myself with a single meal. If I eat gluten for several days, as I did over the holidays, it can take a couple of weeks to feel completely normal again.

Even if you're having congestion, the verdict may be out on dairy for you for a while. I thought during my first Whole30 that dairy was causing my sinus congestion, and reintroduction afterwards wasn't particularly informative (since it seems to take several days for congestion symptoms to slowly increase). But now, if I keep completely wheat free, I find I can eat little bits of dairy here and there without any real problems. It seems like the wheat makes everything else worse.

Archived