Johnny's 2013 whole30

Johnny M

My "I'm not on a whole30 but eat that way 90% of time" has basically become a big fat lie. I eat real foods...but I eat dairy, and sushi once or twice a week, and a couple cocktails a couple times a week and while I'm still ahead of where I was last year, I'm not feeling 100%. With a family visit coming up and a couple work engagements I'd like to look and feel my best at, it appears to be time for another whole30! I'll be prepping tomorrow and starting on Sunday. Wish your fearless moderator some luck! It's a challenge for all of us!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You go Johnny! :) By the way, did you see Chris Kesser write about the CSS (community sustained seafood) in SF? It sounds very cool. $25 per week for a basket of responsibly fished seafood. I think you pick it up at the ferry building but not sure.

I can't wait to look into that seafood thing. thanks!

Day 1! I don't know that I'll be logging everyday but this should be a good way to keep me motivated and honest. I might try to add some whole30 specific recipes to my site as well so keep an eye out! I'm about to start the day with some steak and eggs and raw kraut. I need to get out to the store and load up on some veggies! I had a final treat last night of some caramel ice cream (which I'm paying for right now by way of awful stomach cramps) but I picked up a ton of kerry gold butter which I'll be clarifying shortly. I'm really really excited about the next 30 days!

I will be looking forward to blog entries! Tonight's dinner is your chicken wing recipe - and I have the dressing with them too.

I think my life will always be the way you described in your first post in this topic. I will do a wholeX, then do the very best I can, then I will realize I am no longer doing the very best I can, then I will reset. However, even when I am not doing what I think is the very best I can be doing, I am SO much healthier than if I ate the way I was eating 6 months ago.

Your breakfast sounds fab!

Let me know how the wings go! And I agree with you. It's all a process. For me it's about realizing how much better my life is when my health is better.

I ended up making a quick sweet potato hash for breakfast.

IMG_2987-copy.jpg

http://www.eatingfor...et-potato-hash/

Last night I experimented and made beef negimaki with a teriyaki-ish sauce I made from reducing coconut aminos. It was delicious! But they fell apart so they weren't photo worthy. I'll definitely remake them and post a recipe soon.

So day 1 was SUPER EASY. I did slow down when I passed the cheese samples at Whole Foods and again by the wine but I made it through! Today I'm meeting up with a gluten-free paleo chef friend to throw some yummy lunch together and keep motivated. I'm excited for day 2!

There are a couple tricks to the eggs. First start with the right pan. It needs to be big enough for the eggs to spread out when dropped in the pan. I have a little pan I can use for 1 egg but if I try to squeeze 2 eggs in, the whites don't cook through. I used a non-stick pan for the eggs above but I often try to avoid it (due to toxins in the non-stick coating) so stainless steel works as well (but only at the right temperature with the right cooking fat). Start by letting your pan heat for at least 2-3 minutes between medium and medium high heat. The temperature and the pre-heating is important! If the pan isn't hot the eggs won't cook right. If you're using stainless steel the eggs will stick if the pan isn't hot enough but also if it's too hot.

I've had the best success using ghee as my cooking fat. Coconut oil works ok but for me seems a bit too thin to give me the non-stick surface the eggs need so it's not my first choice. Crack your eggs into a small ramekin or bowl so you're sure they're not spoiled, broken, or have bits of shell in them. Melt your ghee in the pan, slide your eggs in, and cover. Cook for 2 minutes covered. Check them at this point...if the egg has turned white over the top it's done. If it hasn't, re-cover and check every 30 seconds or so until they're white. The edges should start to brown on the outside of the whites. If you can't stand whites even a little runny and you're using a non-stick pan, gently flip them and cook about 10-20 seconds. This won't work on a stainless steel skillet (at least not in my experience). The exposed yolk is too delicate and will stick and break open on stainless steel if you try to flip it.

When they're done, slide onto a plate and sprinkle with salt. It takes a bit of practice to get them just the way you like them but be patient and keep trying!

Good luck!

I just had some braised brisket from the primal palates recipe that was so good. I've been snacking on this ginger beet kraut I bought at whole foods that's so tasty I recommend you look for it in yours (if you're in CA the brand is farmhouse culture). I also just worked out for the first time in weeks! I think I'm experiencing psychological effect Because I'm just into day 2 but I already feel so amazing and so excited. Either way I'll take it!

Day 3! I'm feeling good today but the challenge in front of me just hit me like a ton of bricks. I'm a worrier and a planner and I always expect the worst (stress issues, anyone?) so I'm doing some work today reminding myself that everything is ok, and to go one day...or even one meal at a time. Today I have my first significant challenge...lunch with a new hire. I'm currently debating taking her to whole foods for a buffet lunch because restaurants without much planning are such a challenge. UG!

Whole foods was great...expensive...but great. I bought a whole roasted organic chicken, some guacamole, some steamed veggies, and a seltzer. Whole30 compliant AND I have leftovers for tomorrow. Double score. How's everyone else doing out there??

Good morning, folks! It's day 4 today and I woke up remembering one of my absolute favorite parts of whole30 for me. SLEEP! I just slept so incredibly soundly and through the entire night. I had been waking every couple hours, tossing and turning, and not sleeping deeply, but last night I slept like the dead. I just had some leftover brisket and spinach for breakfast. Lunch will be some roasted chicken with quac and roasted veggies before heading off for client meetings. Hope you're all doing well!

Day 5! It's possible that I've been unintentionally under eating because I inhaled more dinner last night than I thought was possible. I made 2 lbs of bbq chicken thighs last night thinking I'd have leftovers for days. Think again! I was starving and if my calculations are right I ate a little over a lb of them...my cat stole 1 (literally...when I went to put them in the fridge one had completely disappeared)...and I ate the rest this morning for breakfast. For anyone that wants some, find a compliant BBQ sauce recipe online, and coat some chicken thighs in it, with some salt and pepper, and bake in a casserole dish at 425 for about 20 minutes. After discovering these boneless skinless thighs I don't think I'm ever buying chicken breast again. They're so juicy and easy to cook!

So things are still going well and feel pretty easy. The true test for me however is that the weekend is quickly approaching. I'm debating joining a friends bar bday party tomorrow night and struggling for hours to try and smile when all I can think about is wanting a cocktail and resenting everyone around me or sitting home alone wishing I were there. I typically try to present myself has having pretty strong feelings on topics like this because whatever you do in these situations, you have to muscle through them with a plan but hopefully you can appreciate the challenge in this, even for someone who has done it 2 or 3 times before!

which day is that angry hating life day? Cuz I'm hating life! I had to pick up 8 huge deep dish pizzas for a work party today. I was unprepared for my own lunch so I had some roast beef from whole foods and I'm STARVING right now. I have a work dinner tonight at a great restaurant in San Francisco that I typically love for their awesome wines. Sigh. ARRRRGH...it gets better....it gets better....it gets better....

Archived