Whole30 and Complications

Kimberly Giebler

Hey everyone! So, last Saturday I started my whole30 and it has been quite a bit of a struggle for me. I'm honeslty a bit surprised at how difficult I'm finding it, as I am generally a pretty clean Paleo eater. My timing to start the first day was really bad - I had a concert the next morning and had to be up preparing at 4:30 AM and as a result my whole day was thrown off. So I decided to restart on Monday - on which I accidently ate some nuts with peanut oil. Attempt number two.

One of my biggest challenges has been that 9 months (to the day) ago I had brain surgury. My recovery from this has not been good - my body has not healed well and I haven't been able to lift more than 5 lbs or exercise for the last 9 months. It has been beyound difficult. For me this makes eating on a schedule to keep my hormones in check very difficult, because the poor college student I am can't afford a car (read: I'd rather eat healthy and take the bus) so I take the bus every where - meaning I can't carry both my books for school and food that I need for the day at the same time. This leads to long periods of time (sometimes up to 8 hours) where I can't eat anything, and by the time I can I am so hungry that I give in and gorge on nuts and fruit.

As a result, I have decided that nuts are no longer going to be allowed during my whole30 - and I'm trying to decide about fruit. (Thoughts?)

On the upside - I am just heading into a two week reading week from school, so I will have much more control over my schedule and I won't have to go for such long periods of time without food! AND - my body has finally started to heal in the last three weeks and if it keeps going the way it is right now, I only have 1 more week before I'm allowed to exercise and lift things again! Yay!

This has been a long crazy journey, and I could sure use some advise and support on how to make it through this! I know I can do it!

not sure I've got any advice to offer but you'll get masses of support here. I'm glad your body's starting to heal and I'm sure the W30 will help it. I get it about the bus. Beleiev it or not I don't drive and I've never owned a car - it's bus everywhere. Is there nothing light and small you could add into your bookbag, hard boiled eggs maybe, veggie sticks or pouch of tuna and salad or jerky, just so you'd have something on you if there's nothing compliant anywhere. Anyway, welcome and I really wish you every success. Maybe others will have some more advice. good luck

• Moderators

The cool thing about becoming fat adapted is that going 6 or even 8 hours between meals is very doable. This requires eating substantial, nourishing meals of meat, fat, and veggies, but that is a good thing. The problem with nuts and fruit is they do not measure up in the nourishment department compared to meat and veggies. If I had to carry food on a bus, I would probably pack a can of tuna packed in olive oil as my protein and maybe a baked sweet potato.

Thanks guys! I believe I am already fat adapted, as I have been Paleo for 6 months now, and grain free for about 4 before that. I think my biggest problem is in my mind - thinking that I need food and feeling like I need to even though I'm not struck with the "I need something to eat now" feeling - my body doesn't feel like it does, but my mind does. This is certainly making me realize how out of hand I had gotten with my snacks.

Archived