OO Potato Chips

Marcia

I was amazed to find these Olive Oil Potato Chips at the store today. The only ingredients are: potatoes, olive oil, rosemary, and sea salt! I know they'd not be allowed on Whole30, but I'm putting them on the back burner for later! They had other flavors too... then I saw others snacks like Sweet Potato Chips, but they had junk in them. ::(: Wonder why they did that?

I think it's junk food because potatoes dont really have a lot of nutrients anyways, then deep frying them in olive oil (which shouldn't be heated much anyways because it changes the oils chemistry) doesn't really add any nutrition either. And we have all tasted potato chips and know how weak the brakes can be. Plus those chips are pushing vegetables off your plate and don't fit into the meal map, which is the best combination of nutrients to nourish your body deeply. Even after your whole30 is over, you can continue to have that good psychological response to food and gain and build on what you started. I would say, after whole30 if you really wanna "offroad" by eating potato chips, invite a bunch of friends over to watch a funny movie or play charades, put out a bunch of healthy snacks as well as a bag of your VERY FAVORITE POTATO CHIPS EVER NO MATTER THE INGREDIENTS to share with your friends and then make sweet love to EVERY SINGLE BITE OF THOSE CHIPS YOU TAKE. Dance around with your chips. Balance one on your nose. Have your friends throw them into your mouth from increasing distances. You get the idea? Don't have SWYPO for goodness sakes take your pants off and do it right ;)

You get the idea? Don't have SWYPO for goodness sakes take your pants off and do it right ;)

Hahaha!! I had to look that up to figure out wth you were talking about... now I get it and I certainly did have a love affair with potato chips! Had no intention of having them while I'm doing my Whole30(90) actually, but I was surprised when I saw just 3 ingredients. I thought that was an improvement over other chips. The info is always changing... didn't realize that olive oil is a junk oil. I've been using it to roast my veggies.:rolleyes:

The info is always changing... didn't realize that olive oil is a junk oil. I've been using it to roast my veggies. :rolleyes:

Olive oil is not junk oil. But it does easily go rancid, and as Moluv said, an oil's chemistry is affected if it's kept at high heat for prolonged periods.

My thinking is, any commercial operation cranking out potato chips must have vats of oil that are kept heated for prolonged periods, and that oil is used and re-used to cook multiple batches of potato chips. That's pure conjecture; I have not seen the olive oil potato chip factory myself. To my mind, that does not result in a healthful treat (again, I don't know what they do, this is just what I am imagining they do).

If you want a healthful food after your W30, make chips yourself (and use something like lard or tallow, a fat that can stand the higher temperatures better). Potatoes do have nutrients, and animal fats do too.

But if you want a treat, then: what Moluv said. :)

Teresa

Archived