Pleasurebelly

Moluv

End of day 17 and some personal reflection shows me I need to clean some things up a bit to reach my goals. Mainly, I am striving for that lovely calm happy energetic feeling that only comes from eating clean- and to get that feeling I have to eat clean enough to maintain what I call Pleasurebelly, which is a satisfied feeling followed by seamless digestion, followed by that fat-adapted-not-hungry-till-the-next-meal feeling. Several days of Pleasurebelly and my energy is so stable. I have noticed a few things I eat seem to interfere with Pleasurebelly so for the remaining 12 days of my first whole30 (whole1000 who knows!) I'm going to, as the others say, VOTE SOME FOODS OFF MY ISLAND. 1. Coconut Milk & Coconut Butter, I love you but you require too much energy to break down. 2. Cashews, you were the last nut standing but sadly you must join your comrades almonds and all other seeds and nuts and say goodbye 3. Caffeine. Caffeine, you suck. My

energy that is and you are edging out water, a far more valuable player than you will ever be.

Okay...the term pleasurebelly is the best ever!! I will borrow it often. :) I voted nuts and their butters off my island over a year ago. Tom speaks of using nuts in recipes. I almost caved until I found myself measuring out twice as many mac nuts as was needed for a recipe. He can do it. I cannot. I am a weakling when it comes to nuts. :)

Nuts have never been a big thing for me - I can take them or leave them. However after keeping a food log, I noticed that every time I had nuts, my mood was much lower the next day. I was a bit grumpy and had lost the Pollyanna complex, everyone says I have :) So nuts are totally off my menus.

Day 0 after restarting due to accidental restaurant butter attack- even though I'm technically able to off-road today I am proud to say I have stuck to the meal template and rules all day and feel that much closer to Whole30 success. Spent part of today cleaning and organizing the kitchen and pantry, grocery shopping and beginning my first weekly "cookup" which I will work on more tomorrow. Boiled a dozen good eggs to make kraut devilled eggs, got an egg sittig out to make mayo, and made a couple of flavor infused fats- one is sundried tomaoe/currant/coriander coconut oil and the other is onion curry tallow. Gonna bake up some chicken and sweet potatoes and make a big batch of burgers and meatballs tomorrow as well as kraut and Kombucha. My house is wrecked but as soon as I put the boys to bed I'm going to begin my new bedtime ritual to set myself up for a night of beautiful healing sleep.

Day 1: my best friend Ellie started with me today, squeeeeeeeee! She has always inspired me to eat better and better and now we are in a glorious ring around the Rosie of health and well being!

I had three meals today following the template and since brekkie was egg/veg/guac and lunch was burger/veg/kraut/guac I don't want to go into more detail.

First "cookup" today was awesome. Morning was spent with a little exercise and a fun outing for the kids followed by cleaning house. By the time my little one went down for a nap the sun was burning bright with a cool breeze through the window and I had 3 hours marathon cookup. I made meatballs, carrot souffle, cultured mayo, marinated chicken, and demiglace. I still have kraut and Kombucha and a big chop salad and curry kraut devilled eggs to make and need to organize the fridge but I was super pleased with the cookup especially when I came home from power yoga to a meal in the oven that all I had to do was scoop some kraut and salad and guac onto my plate and boom, I was eating. I also made "twig in a pigs" in case I need a snack and I did sample those and a meatball (with kraut to keep it balanced) as I was cooking but I wasn't even hungry I was just taste testing. I also enjoyed drinking 2 quarts of water with sliced strawberry and lime juice. I will make this with sparkling water sometime as a sub for a margarita or cocktail. It was so delicious- I can really notice my taste buds changed even from my last go around. Time to get away from the phone now and start my bedtime routine. What a fabulous day 1!

Felt a little peckish and tired today and I am pretty sure I can blame that on the tiny breakfast I had standing up at the sink. I just didn't prep (not food, but clothes and gym bag, kids stuff) adequately for such an early day and early workout. It was very informative to see that even though my tiny morning meal was technically compliant and of the template (besides portion size obvsly) I didn't eat soon enough to waking and then eating in a rush on top of that just led to a day of thinking about when I'm going to eat next. Weird! I really need a bigger breakfast sitting down with plenty of time to digest before excercising as well as a time after the gym to eat instead of driving straight to work and having clients back to back right away. Also got a slight headache after drinking beet kvass (again!) detoxing?? Otherwise, my energy was pretty good until @6 when I just decided I was only going to do the bare minimum and take it easy otherwise. Off to bed for an early night. Yeh day 2!!!

Not much to report, meals are coming together fine, not feeling tempted by off plan foods so much as noticing how mch I used to take pics of myself- now that I've banned it I'm aware of the compulsion but remember my rules and just don't do it. I've been taking more photos of the children instead. I have no desire for nuts, coconut, or coffee as well as all the other things off plan. I've come to view my lips as the gatekeepers to my happiness and energy and they are fierce guardians. I had so much energy today, happybusyfunkidsday and tears of joy too. I have begun transitioning the kids to meat+veg+fat though they are still angling for fruit+nut+more fruit, but small victories they are off grains and sugar for a few days now and I have really gotten a sense of what they will and will not eat. Cold meat better than hot meat. Raw veg better than cooked. No mixed ingredient dishes. Simple condiments, pickle, olive. Sardines! So much fruit ans nuts. Water with frozen berries ans reusable straws No temper fits today, they still hbe their emotions but they don't cross the line into aggression like

they do when they've had grain+sugar. Cleaned out and took stock of the freezer, making my list/plan for my shopping trip/cookup tomorrow. Roasting my first grassfed tri-tip and making breakfast sausage patties that hopefully the kids will love. Need some more glass food containers and lunchkits. If anyone else tries to read this they must be wicked bored by now.

It's almost scary how good I feel today! So in love with life! Woke up at 6:00 naturally, beating the kids who woke at 6:30 and 8:00. The first thing the baby said when he got up was "ice cream cone" lolz I think he had a food dream. I'm so proud of my kids for making this transition. I did half my cookup by 10am then went to do the shopping. The kids asked for a few off-plan items (ice cream, cereal, fruit snacks, yogurt) but I was so calm I just kept explaining to them "I love you too much to let you eat less healthy food anymore, let's go choose some nuts now". After the store we went to the duck feeding pond and playground and I had lots of energy for playing with them. I made them a simple lunch of cold chicken, cherry tomatoes and mini-sweet bell peppers and "fuzzy water" with a frozen cherry in it. They are pic-niccing in the front yard.

Sunday Cookup:

Roasted grassfed tri-tip (done this morn, had some on a salad for lunch, it's excellent. Possibly due to the fact I wrapped it in sliced pork belly, holla!)

Roasted chx thighs (the kids don't like these as much as drumsticks so stock up when they are back at the store)

Cultured Vegetables (kale and green cabbage- hope I won't get gas from the kale this may be the only way I can eat it)

Mayo (liquid coconut oil is vexing me, but I'm going to tweak it a bit)

Chicken breasts with herb de Provence

Giant box of cut up veggies for raw eating

Twig in a Pigs

Baked Sweet Potatoes (in a covered casserole so I can stop wasting foil)

More boiled eggs since the kids already ate 4 this morning

Pastured Pork Roasts are thawing and not sure if I should process them into sausage patties or just roast- maybe one of each so I can see which the kids like better.

Day 8: I broke one of my own rules and think I might start over tomorrow. Rule: NO TAKING PICTURES OF YOURSELF. So we had a blizzard and I spent all day indoors in fleece lined tights. When the kids wanted to go out to play I grabbed the first pair of jeans from "clothes mountain" and they were a pair that were too snug when I bought then a couple months ago. I started to put them on over my leggings expecting to have to trade for my "winter over leggings size bigger jeans" but LO AND BEHOLD THEY FIT FINE. So of course that's good news but for me it revved up the ole body obsession dragon and next thing I know I'm in the yard and instead of playing or taking pics of the kids I TOOK A PICTURE OF MYSELF TO SEE IF MY ASS LOOKED SMALLER- exactly the nasty habit that has always gotten me in trouble before. I know I don't do well with sugar or rice, will go off them for about ten days, taking selfies everyday to track when the bloat goes down and as soon as it does I start feeling like I'm better now, like I can handle a little rice noodle and then BOOM a weeklong bloatfest of corn chips, rice pasta, sweets and cocktails. So to me, the selfie is my sugar dragon and I gotta keep that cage locked tight. Now today when I took that photo I banished it immediately and know that due to the healing path I am on now I am in no danger of falling "face first" into a bag of rice noodles. But what scared me was how MINDLESS THE COMPULSION WAS. I set my last whole 30 up with some extra rules because I know what I want out of it. The right thing to do is start over day 1 tomorrow. Adding 8 days sounds totally lame. I welcome the consequence of having to start over- I'll break myself of this ugly habit once and for all. And when I say ugly, I don't mean me, I mean ugly as in, I spent the morning deleting OVER 1000 selfies from my iPhone and iPhoto account today. I know as I type this that I am really leaving that habit behind, I can feel the grief swelling my heart but also such gratitude for this process.

Day 1 of w30 version 3- and this time I am experimenting with following the advice of Chris Kresser regarding insoluble fiber and FODMAPS found here:

http://chriskresser.com/got-digestive-problems-take-it-easy-on-the-veggies

So I started looking at my veggies yesterday as soon as I read this and realized most of the veggies I was eating could be irritiating my already irritated-by-years-of-not-knowing-I-was-sensitive-to-gluten gut. I already was suspicious of onions and kale- and I never eat broccoli raw- and had decided to eat those only in fermented form. But salad? I thought a raw chopped salad was the holy grail of clean eating. Not so says CK, and I'm not just saying that as a way to get out of eating salad-I love salad and have a huge one prepped in my fridge right now. So here is my plan to allow my gut to heal a little more- the vegetables on the high in insoluble fiber list on his website I will eat very well cooked and pureed (I'm seeing a bell pepper "sauce" to dip my meat into) or fermented- I'm actually going to just add vegetable culture starter to that whole chopped salad, add some bok choy and shove it in a jar for a few days and let the bacteria do the hard work that my intestines just are not able to do at this time. Thanks in advance lactobacilli! Then I'll probably be eating more sweet potatoes and winter squashes than I am used to but I don't think that will be a problem, as I like them very much. I have been viewing a sweet potato to eat as a sidecar to a bunch of other vegetables, not a vegetable itself, but I think a meal of eggs or meat, with sweet potato and fermented FODMAPS will do me just fine.

On another note, I am detoxing like crazy, which I also got to read some super sciency stuff about on Chris Kresser's website so I feel comfortable with it more now. I do think some skin brushing and a hot hot epsom salt bath is in store for me tonight.

It's been about 48 hours since I have eaten a vegetable on the "high in insoluble fiber" list- other than cultured veggies of course- and I gotta say, I think I'm on to something here. My Pleasurebelly came back, and my tummy looks flatter- just ever so slightly, but for sure. This is what I ate so far today:

Meal 1: 2 pastured eggs scrambled in ghee with a side of horseradish leek sauerkraut, hot water w/lemon

Meal 2: cold sliced chicken breast with coconut oil mayo and 1/2 baked sweet potato

Meal 3: one slice of cold beef, several slices chicken with mayo and plain sauerkraut, ginger Kombucha

Meal 4: hasn't happened yet but is planned to be: baked salmon with coconut aminos, pureed beets and carrots with ghee, and curry kraut

I literally feel HIGH off that Kombucha and better than almost any of the other past 29 days when I was eating more variety of vegetables and lots of them raw. I'm going to continue with Chris Kresser's IBS/fiber theory for the rest of this w30 before I start experimenting with adding other unfermented/uncooked veggies. Maybe I have IBS and just don't know it because I don't have health insurance and I kind of just think most doctors are glorified drug dealers. My nutritionist thinks I have celiac and I believe her. Rather err on the side of caution in these matters.

I also picked up some organic marshmallow root tea and have it cold steeping to drink later- supposed to be protective for inflamed intestines. It better be it smells like a baby's diaper.

Day 4 going strong (33 days total eating this way!!)

Big Changes I Notice:

I like fermented cod liver oil w/ no honey chaser

Whiskey smells like gasoline- not remotely edible

I don't need garlic/onions/ginger/spices on my food anymore- I prefer the natural taste of meats and veggies

Kombucha makes me high and it's awesome

I'm wearing my spring/summer size jeans and pants and it's still winter

Some of my winter size jeans are at the thriftstore

I've never been this size in the winter without going hungry or doing some hairbrained diet scheme

I'm killing it in yoga

I feel more accepting of my "perceived flaws" because I know my diet is rock solid and my body is nourished- my amount od body fat feels legit

A food log would be so boring right now because I am basically eatings eggs, beef, sweet potatoes, beets, carrots and various krauts and kombuchas. Pretty small list but I'm feeling better and anticipating my digestion to return to or even surpass my old "normal" any day now. I'm shooting for 2-3 BM a day, perfect ones on the Bristol stool chart. I'm mentally preparing that that may not happen as fast as I want and that I will not be disappointed I will just keep listening to my body closely- it has done a great job of telling me what it does and does not want.

I finally pooped like a normal person! Gaaaahhhh I was getting so worried! I was getting smaller and smaller but not pooping and was like- where is all this food going?! I'm glad I did some enemas earlier on- I think I would have gotten too tired and run down had I not but I knew something wasn't right so instead of leaning on a crutch I kept researching and I'm lad I did- I've been all week eating only soluble fiber veggies- cooked sweet potato, beets, carrots- and any of the insoluble fiber/FODMAPS have been consumed via cultured veggies. I've had no gas, no bloating, and now finally an almost near perfect poop. I'll be able to tell more how this plan is working in the next few days. But so far so good!

I'm removing one of my self-imposed rules too- not because I can't refrain but because I don't want to- and that's the rule about no selfies. I enjoy snapping a few pics here and there! And I know that my old attitude of "youre doing/looking great, a little rice won't hurt you" is long gone. I know rice hurts me and that it takes a long time to calm the inflammation afterwards so it's just not worth it. I knew that for sure at the sushi restaurant last night- I enjoyed the sights and smells and company but that was all I needed- it was a soul nourishing fun time because I didnt hurt my body with food that wreaks havoc on my gut and happiness.

Also I am flabbergasted at the amount of ground beef and sweet potatoes I have eaten this week and that I continue to trim up and feel stronger at yoga. The old me would not have allowed me to eat so much food without guilt- and of course I would overrated on zero nutrition food like rice or sweets. I was so undernourished- and I'd been allowing the children to eat the same way. So sad. What a blessing the whole30 is to me and my family. Im so grateful.

Sunday Cookup:

Broiled flank steak w/chili powder

Broiled Chicken Breast w/paprika&onion powder

Baked Sweet Potatoes

Baked Butternut Squash

Pureed carrots, parsnips & turnips w/ghee

Olive Oil Mayo

I did most of my shopping yesterday and cleaned out the fridge. This morning I cleaned the rest of the kitchen and made another quick errands run. So all of the above was done by 12:30- not too shabby!!

I'm also soaking some grassfed beef liver in lemon juice to be cooked and pureed tomorrow and mixed into the 5 lbs of grassfed ground beef I'm thawing in the fridge today. I get the 5lb bag o' meat for $20 from the rancher's meat shop. It's the best price I've ever seen. I'm buying 2 a week it seems.

I also washed and de-stemmed a bag of grapes and washed a box of blueberries and put those in a big container on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator so the kids can help themselves. They also have several other containers of raw cut up veggies ready to go and within reach.

I also made a huge salad (even though I'm not eating salads right now) for my husband and kids.

I'm going to soft boil some eggs and peel them and then soak them in beet water (left over from cooking) to turn the whites pink and either dazzle or disgust my kids by it.

The kids snack pantry is stocked with freeze-dried strawberries, pistachios, organic fruit cups, and almond butter, and dried papaya slices.

Oh my. Period Pig showed up this morning demanding all sorts of technically-compliant-but-voted-off-my-island "treats" this morning. She had such a firm grip on my uterus I had no choice but to give in to her outrageous demands. Firstly she wanted coffee and I made a deal with her- only if it's an experiment in "bulletproof coffee". Ok so that was pretty ding dang good and I didn't experience the crash I usually do. This may remain a special moon time indulgence.

Next, Period Pig turned her pink nose up at all of my breakfast offerings, but I snuck in some cold scrambled eggs when she wasn't looking. After a long siesta on the sofa Period Pig got restless and started rooting around the pantry for nuts and daterolls. We made a deal that she would let go of my aching womb after snack, but true to her evil temptress ways, she backed out of her end of the deal.

Despite protests at a proper lunch I tricked her yet again with meatballs and sweet potatoes. Yet again near dinner, with a relentless twisting grip on my insides we bargained again- I trade her more daterolls and almond butter and she leaves me the hell alone. Traitorous villain lies again.

As the day wears on I fear there is only one way to satiate Period Pig- a big bowl of Well Fed's Pad Thai and a double dose of melatonin.

Me: zero

Mother Nature: one

I feel human again- the cramps have passed- thank goodness! Really the worst cramps of all time- 16 hours of that and you kind of start expecting a baby to come out. So I pretty much replaced vegetables with daterolls and almond butter yesterday. It didn't feel out of control it just felt like making a less healthy choice and I was willing to suffer the consequences. I hadn't been eating nuts because they hurt my stomach and that's probably because I eat too many. I waited all day and no tummy ache- and no swelling. Maybe it was other irritants in my diet before- I don't know. I also wanted to mow down a huge bowl of pad Thai but by the time I made the sunshine sauce and sampled it, I realized I wasn't hungry so I didn't continue making the dish- I just ate a couple of meatballs instead. So I didn't OVER eat yesterday, even though I made less healthy choices. That's a revelation! Old me woulda just kept on truckin. And then the wishy/washy "should I vaporize tonight". I just KNEW all day that I was gonna break my w30 so I could and when the time came I decided it wasn't worth a restart. I think eating daterolls and nutbutter and vaping are special treats that will be best enjoyed on the first day of my cycle- as part of a ritual. That is what I wanted out of the process and I got it! I wanted to exist in the presence of less than healthy substances but maintain power over them, not the other way around. This is amazing- this plan really works on so many levels. When M&D say 30 days will change your life, I believed it, but I got way more than I bargained for.

Day 9: slept in a little (til 7) and it was awesome.

Meal 1: 2 eggs fried in meat drippings with butternut squash mash w/ coconut milk and cosmic curry kraut

Meal 2: grassfed ground beef & sweet potato

1/2 cup bulletproof coffee- didn't like it today

Meal 3: stir fried squash, zucchini, bok choi and flank steak and eggs with sunshine sauce

Extras: bottle of Kombucha and a meerkat size handful of sprouted sunflower seeds

Pretty good feeling day today all around. Had a "perfect poop" (based on the Bristol Stool Chart)

first thing after breakfast without any natural calm the night before. Also was afraid I may have woken my sugar dragon with all the dates I ate yesterday but when I walked past a box of them at my office I didn't even think twice about having one. Or three. Cool!

Day 10:

1. 3 fried eggs, mashed sweet potato, caraway kraut

2. Stir-fried flank steak, squash, peppers, egg and sunshine sauce

3. Grassfed ground beef, butternut squash curry

Extras: bottle Kombucha, coconut water

I didn't poop today and I HATE that. Could be that I've eaten nuts, coconut, coffee and a lot of fibrous veggies in the last few days compared to the last 10. I also have been staying up too late, dehydrated, no yoga all week, stress due to husbands extra work travel plus making changes in the kids school/preschool. All of these issues need to be addresses. But all in all I feel really good.

After the terrible bloatfest that resulted in eating coffee, coconut, fibrous veggies and nuts last week and then re reading iswf I've taken on 6 months of the ibs protocol as the book recommends. I'll now be keeping my food log as "moluvs IBS protocol long haul" if anyone cares to read it. Now I am truly on the path to permanent Pleasurebelly!!

Hi Moluv, does this mean that you're continuing in this log or starting a new post? Just want to be able to pop in now and then as I'm curious to see how the IBS protocol is going. Good luck!

EDIT: Never mind, I just found your new home.

Thanks Mary, I hope you do! Yeah, I started a new log with the name mentioned above- just needed a fresh start after the "nut trauma" of last week. I'm only on day 2 of official IBS protocol but the other thread has a few posts and other IBSers following.

And just in case you are curious- I am thriving on that diet. I had no idea how much healing I really needed until I started healing- it's worth the even more limited choices.

Archived