Lora - Start 6/18

Lora Friedenthal

I've been trying to follow D'Adamo's Gatherer Genotype/Blood Type O diet, which is very similar to paleo, but still allows for limited specific carbs and dairy, but I have a hard time sticking to 2/3c rice or 4oz of dairy a week. So I thought maybe I should just try to just it out all together. Based on my experience with that, though, I think I react poorly to coconut milk, which seems to be a popular Whole30 food. I guess I'll try it again and we'll see.

I picked a poor time to start as I'm absolutely destitute, but I guess you have to latch onto the motivation when it's there.

Breakfast: 3 eggs fried in butter, topped with guacamole

Lunch: raw cashews

Dinner: chili

• Moderators

Hmm. Butter. The Whole30 allows for clarified butter or ghee, but not straight butter. The milk solids in regular butter with even the little bit you are using for cooking can be a problem.

Coconut milk is popular, but you can eat well without it. I go through phases with coconut milk, using several cans per week for a while and then not using any for a month.

Ended up adding some sauted brussel sprouts and sweet potato to dinner. And some avocado to the chili. Then some strawberries and blueberries with whipped coconut cream.

Apparently I wanted fats like crazy. I didn't even make it through the berries until I'd had enough, though.

Breakfast and dinner seem like they should be okay for a few days. Lunches are going to be my real challenge, especially since I have no money.

Hey Lora!

You can make your own clarified butter. I'm going to get my hands on some coconut butter soon, but it's actually super easy (and cheap) to make yourself.

Hope you're well.

John

Hi, John! Yeah, I've made ghee in the past. It's never quite as good as the stuff from the store, but I guess I might as well cook up the butter that I happen to have on hand so I can use it for something.

Breakfast: 3 eggs fried in ghee, guacamole, leftover brussel sprouts and sweet potato fried in ghee and olive oil

Lunch: romaine, beets, bacon, chicken, roasted red pepper, mushrooms, olive oil, avocado

Dinner: chicken bits wrapped in proscuitto, chili, avocado

Dessert: strawberries, blueberries, whipped coconut cream

I *think* the chicken bites were okay. I was at a work event (ordered unsweetened tea instead of alcohol) and this looked like the only thing I could have. It didn't appear that there was any cheese. I guess because it was at a restaurant there was bad oil used in the cooking. I don't know if that means I can't count this day as a Good Day, though. :unsure:

Breakfast: 3 eggs, peppers, sweet potato, guacamole

Lunch: frisee, lettuce, beets, grilled chicken, avocado, mushrooms, bacon, olive oil, carrots

Dinner: brussel sprouts, sweet potato, cod, avocado, bacon

I had some cashews early afternoon. That seems to be my killer time. I start feeling restless. I'm not sure if it's hungry or boredom or what. I DO know that I can't easily tell the difference between thirsty and hungry.

Day 4

Breakfast: 4 slices bacon, sweet potato

Lunch: romaine, grilled chicken, avcado, brussels sprouts, carrots, beets, walnuts, olive oil

Dinner: yellow squash noodles, olive oil, garlic, 2 grass-fed burgers, proscuitto, 1/2 avocado, olive oil/walnut oil mayo, mushrooms, pinenuts

I could hardly believe that that dinner was good for me.

I was going to have some coconut cream whip and berries, but I failed at whipping coconut cream. So, maybe tomorrow. Maybe also try some coconut milk in coffee.

I think this is finally noticably messing with my hormones. Usually the only time I get vertigo is during my period, when my hormones go wacky. But I have it so bad right now I can't really move.

Breakfast: 3 eggs in red pepper rings, mushrooms, macadamias

Lunch: strawberries in coconut cream, macadamias

Yesterday:

Breakfast: 4 eggs, peppers, onions, guacamole (I thought I'd see if 4 eggs was too much. I think it was)

Lunch: romaine, beets, sundried tomato, grilled chicken, avocado, carrots, pine nuts, walnuts, olive oil, balsamic vinegar

Dinner: savoy cabbage w/ prosciutto and garlic in olive oil, Melissa's best chicken ever (OMG), sweet potato

I need to post the savoy cabbage recipe. I just kind of threw it together, but I could have eaten a plate of just that.

What happened to my afternoon cravings?

Breakfast: 3 eggs, 1 burger, 1/2 sweet potato, mushrooms

Lunch: carnitas, romaine, guac, hot salsa

The addition of the burger to breakfast, which I really did just because it was going bad and needed to be used or thrown out, maybe killed my usual cravings? I didn't even really want lunch when it came to lunch time, but I had it anyway.

Or maybe it was the iced coffee I sipped all morning? Not sure. But it's 3, and I'm much less inclined to eat the macadamias and cashews I brought with me that I was yesterday.

It's Day 14. I still don't think my hunger has righted itself yet. I've actually spent the past few days actively not wanting to eat anything at all but doing so because I have to. I thought my vertigo from last week was getting better. It WAS getting better, but Friday, just after I'd had a carnitas salad at Chipotle, it came back. I dunno. Something was up with that. Another poster here said that eating too much meat and not enough vegetables gave her vertigo, and the day I had a plate of pork and guac with a smatter of lettuce underneath, the symptoms returned.

I've also had that "I need fiber" stuffed up feeling since, then, too, which has contributed to actively not wanting to eat, I think.

Those things combined made yesterday a pretty awful day. I made a rockin mushroom soup for dinner just to avoid protein. And have now discovered cashew cream. It seems like a fantastic base for sauces.

Breakfast: half onion, spaghetti squash, 2 eggs, some mexicali beef, mayo

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm here on Day 24 and still waiting to start feeling better. Almost the entire time I've been on Whole30 my head has felt terrible. Vertigo, headaches... I'm positive that it was the hormone changes that caused the vertigo and I'm now seeing a physical therapist to get it cleared up.

So I guess I'm just waiting to see if I ever get that Wow! Awesome! feeling that so many people report. I sleep better, but that's about it.

Archived