SugarCheeseBread Junkie 1st Whole 30 log

I am starting day 8 with another headache which I think is contributing to overall low energy. I'm not sure if I am still fighting off a lingering sinus infection or if its just adjustment to the new eating plan. I forced myself to get up this morning but after reading about the importance of sleep I'm wondering if I shouldn't have just stayed in bed.

Is there such a thing as getting too much sleep? During the week I get around 6-7.5 hours of sleep a night depending on whether or not I go to the gym in the morning before work. The other challenge is eating early enough before I go to bed at night. I get home from the office at 7:30 and by the time I cook dinner and eat its almost 9pm. I'm sure part of the problem is that I'm not much of a cook and everything takes me longer to do because I don't know what I'm doing :) ok, enough whining. If anyone has any comments or tips i would welcome them. I will say that I feel really good about what I am doing for myself and I know that I am developing healthy habits that I will keep and carry on!

Headaches are normal...I had to take some pain reliever a couple of times (probably the worst headaches I have ever had in my life). Just hang in there, they do go away! :)

For easy meals, I love soup. You can saute your veggies, brown your meat and throw the broth all in one pan. It lasts sometimes for two or three days in the house with my kids and husband.

I also like to have some roasted or sauteed veggies and pan browned meat on hand to microwave. When I am tired it is so easy to go on autopilot and pull out leftovers.

Oh, and hard boiled eggs! It's a lovely, portable source of quick protein in a pinch.

Day 14 almost halfway there! For the most part I am doing really well with what I eat except maybe I don't get enough veggies, but I am struggling with the "when", particularly at night. Most nights I am sitting down to eat dinner at 8 or 8:30 and so I finish by 9 and if I give myself the couple hours before bed then I'm going to bed at 10:30 or 11 and then getting up at 4:20 if I am going to the gym or 6 if I am just going to the office. So on a good night I get 7 hours of sleep. I just learned from the daily whole 30 email that I am a stress addict - the profile fits me to a tee so I see how important sleep is. ( among other things). So my challenge is.... Which is most important? Staying up a couple hours after eating or getting more sleep? And is sleep more important than exercise?

I'm not feeling the energy that others that are this far along are feeling - especially in the morning and with the exception of the first week I don't feel strong at the gym. I did wake up without a headache this morning which is a huge plus. Well I think I answered my own question about the sleep. Guess I'll make it a priority and see if that doesn't help.

Karen - SugarCheeseBread and STRESS Junkie

• 3 weeks later...

Success! 31 days and now I'm in my first day of reintroduction (which scares the heck out of me)!

I found Whole 30 through a business associate. I hadn't seen her in 6 months and was amazed at how she looked and felt. She had had issues with leg pain which she says is virtually gone. I personally have had headache and allergy problems for years and decided this might be a good way to address them. So I downloaded ISWF and read it. What I read made a lot of sense and I could see how my diet was affecting my health. As soon as I finished ISWF I started my Whole 31.

What went well:

1. I learned how to cook - kind of. I spent more time in the kitchen this last 30 days than I have the last year!

2. I managed to keep the sugar dragon at bay. It was actually easier than I thought it would be.

3. I did not cave when my daily craving hit around 3-4PM. I made myself a cup of herbal tea and that did the trick.

4. I bought bagels for my husband and daughter but didn't partake.

5. I learned to drink my morning coffee with coconut milk instead of cream. Now I prefer it that way.

6. I am now sleeping through the night without a sleep aid.

7. I DON'T WAKE UP WITH HEADACHES ANY MORE!

8. I feel stronger in my work outs

9. ****I lost 10lbs and dropped a full size****

What could have gone better:

1. I had a hard time getting to bed early enough to get 7-9 hours of sleep. When I did, I felt the difference.

2. I still had some challenges when ordering food at a restaurant. I assumed steamed vegetables also meant dry and I think I ended up with garlic butter one time and some kind of spice that gave my stomach fits.

3. I didn't have the support of my husband who ridiculed my grass fed meat and my organic everything.

4. I had a lingering sinus infection the whole time and ended up having to take antibiotics.

5. The first couple of weeks I didn't have a lot of energy in the morning and skipped a bunch of my workouts. I'm sure not enough sleep was the reason.

6. I was hoping that this would help my allergies more. Will give it more time and try another Whole 30.

What I'll do in the future to keep doing better:

1. have a set bedtime and stick to it

2. ask more questions about the food when dining out

3. try to find dishes that my husband will eat instead of two of us each cooking our own meals.

4. Continue eating this way. It's amazing how much better I feel!

Guess I need to change my user name. I am no longer a SugarCheeseBread junkie! :D

Archived